All the bands I listen to are at least 10 years old. Can you recommend me new stuff?

• Thread starter Fullmetal123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmetal123

Reaction score
I thought I would put this in Beginners FAQ because I've been out of the Metal-loop for about 3-4 years now. What are some good bands from this decade? I realized every metal band I listen to has been around for at least 10 years. Bands like August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Mastodon, Trivium, Children Of Bodom, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Meshuggah, After the Burial, and the classic Metal stuff. I love these bands and I know they're still putting out great stuff, just would want to see what the new blood is about!

I've tried getting into Periphery and a few other newer prog-metal bands, and while the instrumentation is AMAZING, the vocals (emo-y/high pitched) are not my thing. Any bands coming out now that are carrying the torch of 2000's metal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Meeotch

Reaction score
A modern band I am consistently impressed with is Katatonia. I wouldn't call them a metal band at this point (though their roots are there), but they layer heavy guitar tracks with melodic prog, and the clean vocals are excellent. Brave Murder Day is their classic from back in the day, but I'm more drawn to their newer stuff. Start with The Great Cold Distance and move forward from there.

Again, they aren't gonna touch bands like Meshuggah in terms of the heavy, but if you're thirsty for some great modern music have a look.

Fullmetal123

Reaction score
A modern band I am consistently impressed with is Katatonia. I wouldn't call them a metal band at this point (though their roots are there), but they layer heavy guitar tracks with melodic prog, and the clean vocals are excellent. Brave Murder Day is their classic from back in the day, but I'm more drawn to their newer stuff. Start with The Great Cold Distance and move forward from there.

Again, they aren't gonna touch bands like Meshuggah in terms of the heavy, but if you're thirsty for some great modern music have a look.

Awesome, definitely will check it out! Edit: Yeah they are from '91 :D

Meeotch

Reaction score
Agreed, but if you are familiar with their discography, they've had a massive change in sound which could translate to sounding fresh and new. Just my 2 cents.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Tribulation, Lantern, Demiurg, Tormented, Scythian, Sarpanitum, Zealotry, Rivers of Nihil, Sulphur Aeon, Fallujah, Horrendous, Chtheilist, Obliteration

I haven't checked the years on all of these so some of them might be slightly older than 10 years. None will be older than Katatonia though so at least there's that.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Same here.

My recommendation, FWIW: Check out some local metal bands in your area and see if you like what any of them are all about. There's a NY (long island [?]) metal band I saw locally here (we sometimes get touring bands to play here when they get lost on their way back home from Montreal), and I digged them a lot: "Moontooth."

A band in my area that I think is really good and has some following outside of the Northeast Kingdom is "Voices in Vain."

You could also check out some of the bands on here, some of which are really good. Steer clear of that Bostjan Metal Micro guy though. :lol:

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
relatively newish and maybe worth checking out:

* vallenfyre
* pallbearer
* monolord

Fullmetal123

Reaction score
Tribulation, Lantern, Demiurg, Tormented, Scythian, Sarpanitum, Zealotry, Rivers of Nihil, Sulphur Aeon, Fallujah, Horrendous, Chtheilist, Obliteration

I haven't checked the years on all of these so some of them might be slightly older than 10 years. None will be older than Katatonia though so at least there's that.

:lol: :metal:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Pallbearer is f///ing where it's at!!!

Save Us From The Archon is one of my favorite newer bands.

Also Cloakroom, but they aren't really a metal group. But I think they're heavy.

Fullmetal123

Reaction score
Same here.

My recommendation, FWIW: Check out some local metal bands in your area and see if you like what any of them are all about. There's a NY (long island [?]) metal band I saw locally here (we sometimes get touring bands to play here when they get lost on their way back home from Montreal), and I digged them a lot: "Moontooth."

A band in my area that I think is really good and has some following outside of the Northeast Kingdom is "Voices in Vain."

You could also check out some of the bands on here, some of which are really good. Steer clear of that Bostjan Metal Micro guy though. :lol:

Awesome I'll check it all out thanks.

Fullmetal123

Reaction score
Pallbearer is f///ing where it's at!!!

Heard of them before, I dig it reminds me of The Sword/Sabbath. Its interesting, one thing I noticed is the 2013-present metal fans are either all about sludge/classic-metal or technicality-to-the-max prog/djent. Anything in between is labeled generic or overdone.

stevexc

Reaction score
Khemmis (doom), King Goat (doom), Winterhorde (Slightly older than a decade, black/extreme metal), Fleshgod Apocalypse (symphonic extreme metal), Wilderun (folk), Anciients (heavy metal, similar to Mastodon), Revocation (thrash/death), Mgła (black), Frosthelm (black/thrash), Iraconji (thrash)

Keel

Reaction score
XURL, to release, reflections, make way for man, Traitors, Structures, ERRA, Invent animate, The afterimage.

I like most the bands you listed so I think these would be pretty good places to look.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Heard of them before, I dig it reminds me of The Sword/Sabbath. Its interesting, one thing I noticed is the 2013-present metal fans are either all about sludge/classic-metal or technicality-to-the-max prog/djent. Anything in between is labeled generic or overdone.

Pallbearer got some Sabbath in'em, but I think they lack most of the obvious Maiden influence that you hear in the Sword. But what I dig about Pallbearer is that they've also managed to incorporate the GLOOM, making it sound sad and bleak. I feel like Sabbath and the Sword are very rambunctious and excited, "happy" metal, but Pallbearer not so much. As someone who feels the sludge/doom genre is recently over-saturated, to me Pallbearer stands out.

If you're looking for music that isn't running on the popular trends of stoner/sludge vs. tech/prog, I find that recently there has been some great leaps in the realm of HARDCORE. Recent hardcore bands got really EXTREME

Some super extreme hardcore bands:
Plebian Grandstand

The Secret

NAILS

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score