Almost 50 and itching to get back into playing a 7-string guitar

• Thread starter MistaSnowman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
In the span of less a week, I went from being unemployed and having to sell all four of my guitars to help out the finances; to landing a job that will pay me over $50k a year. Of course, getting financially sound will be the short-term goal but the time will come about where I'll want to buy a (few) new guitar(s). The last 7 I owned was PRS SE 7. While it was a decent guitar, I sold it roughly 2 years ago because the passion for playing a 7 just wasn't there.

When I went to Sam Ash last week, I wanted to try out a few guitars so I would have an idea of what I'd want to buy next. I was drawn to the Ibanez Iron Label RGD 7 (the one with blue burl on the front) and must have played it for at least a half an hour. I loved how that guitar played but then I felt really awkward...I turn 50 next February and I'm thinking about buying a 'young man's' guitar.

Times like these make me wish I'd got into guitar much earlier in life!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
In the span of less a week, I went from being unemployed and having to sell all four of my guitars to help out the finances; to landing a job that will pay me over $50k a year. Of course, getting financially sound will be the short-term goal but the time will come about where I'll want to buy a (few) new guitar(s). The last 7 I owned was PRS SE 7. While it was a decent guitar, I sold it roughly 2 years ago because the passion for playing a 7 just wasn't there.

When I went to Sam Ash last week, I wanted to try out a few guitars so I would have an idea of what I'd want to buy next. I was drawn to the Ibanez Iron Label RGD 7 (the one with blue burl on the front) and must have played it for at least a half an hour. I loved how that guitar played but then I felt really awkward...I turn 50 next February and I'm thinking about buying a 'young man's' guitar.

Times like these make me wish I'd got into guitar much earlier in life!!!

if the guitar feels right for you then it is for you. nothin' young about it

A-Branger

Reaction score
I loved how that guitar played but then I felt really awkward...I turn 50 next February and I'm thinking about buying a 'young man's' guitar.

couple of things here:
1- Says who?
2- Who gives a big old F#*
3- Fricking awesome at your age you still into it \m/
4- Get the guitar that YOU want
5- Please dont buy a LP because "im old"

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I did that! And although I did enjoy playing LP's and Tele's...I felt incomplete. I listen to bands like AAL and Monuments, so every time I watch live vids of these bands...I think to myself 'I want another 7!!!'
You picked an LP over the Ibby after falling in love? It is like a rom com with a sad ending

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Strangely enough, I did that! And although I did enjoy playing LP's and Tele's...I felt incomplete. I listen to bands like AAL and Monuments, so every time I watch live vids of these bands...I think to myself 'I want another 7!!!'

Good job not letting your age dictacte what you listen too so dont let it dictacte what guitar you buy.

Les Pauls are awesome but cant scratch all itches get that RGD youll love the scale length and you want something that inspires you to pick it up and play.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Bro. Its music. Do what you like.

Why do we like rock/punk/metal? Because it's awesome. "I do what I want".

I want to listen to Katy Perry, so I'm fucking gonna.

You want a 7 string guitar? The important question is: "Do you like it?"

Music doesn't hurt or harm anyone else. If you're worried about your buddies making fun of you, either ignore them or impress them - let them try the guitar.

Just have fun with it bro, you're 50, don't let anybody tell you how you're supposed to like music.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
You picked an LP over the Ibby after falling in love? It is like a rom com with a sad ending

No, this was a few years ago that I bought a LP.

As mentioned before, I'm looking to get back to playing 7's again. Once I get back on track financially, I have sights on either one or two Ibby 7's!!!

Last edited:

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I knew I can count on SSO to enable me!!! :fever:

But seriously, thank you for offering your views on the subject. I feel a lot better about rejoining the world of 7!!!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How old is Steve Vai anyway?

A-Branger

Reaction score
also I dont see how that RGD comes as a "young guitar", maybe if it was the black version, or if you were talkng about a black bc rich warlok with tribal lines and a bunch of stickers then yeah. But that RGD is class

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, get that 7! (And an 8, I say!) if you get a 7 now you won't regret it. If you don't, you will in 10 years time. There is absolutely no more reason to avoid a 7 at 50 than there is for girls to avoid guitar, white people to like rap, or any other thing that challenges stereotypes. You'll get more respect -from yourself at the very least - by not letting age dictate your tastes.