Alternative to Fishman fluence

• Thread starter cip 123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

larsmul

Reaction score
X-bars sound bad ???
One of the best clip of Ola with the x-bars

A very well made comparison of x-bar , emg , fluence etc :

cip 123

Reaction score
I dont understand what the issue is with the battery? If you like the tone why give it up over a battery?
Because it's a pain in the arse, 9V ain't cheap, and they don't last very long with fishmans.

Rechargeable is an option but I just wanted to see what options there are.

X-bars sound bad ???
One of the best clip of Ola with the x-bars

A very well made comparison of x-bar , emg , fluence etc :

Ah yes Ola, the man who can make a potato sound like a Satan.

And that second video just shows why I don't want X-bars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Because it's a pain in the arse, 9V ain't cheap, and they don't last very long with fishmans.

Rechargeable is an option but I just wanted to see what options there are.

Do you mind taking a pic of the back cavity control plate of ur schecter. There is a possibility where you can contact schecter usa and ask them for another control cavity and then with that one you can try out the recharging pack from fishman.

I think rechargeable is your best option.

Richter

Reaction score
I like my X-bar - Deathbar pickups on my Strandberg OS. They sound tight, clear and articulate with a single coilish attack. I guess they're not for everyone though.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

To be fair, I played that Strandberg and it sounded amazing enough for me to get X Bars in my Strandberg. I put M8s in my Strandberg pretty quickly.

Exchanger

Reaction score
On paper it seems that alot of EMGs short-Cummings to me are solved by pairing them with the appropriate EMG active eq knob that solves that particular pickup sets issues (and they do so many active EQ options that there is literally a soloution for everything)

so grab a 57/66 and pair it with something from them that tightens (cuts lows and boosts highs for some extra clarity) and you are pretty much bang on Fishman Modern territory but with a battery that lasts infinitely longer.

Sorry to trail off topic a bit, but you triggered my interest here :p
I have a EMG 57-66 set (in a pretty Schecter too) and I don't dislike them to the point I want to change them (and unless I could sell them to make someone happy I wouldn't want them to go to waste), but I'm looking for ways to improve the sound. I love the cleans, but in distorted sound I have mixed feelings. When I compare and record different pickups and look at the spectrum I see the 57-66 have a low end cut balow say 30 Hz (good) and a boost around 250Hz (tends to muddy things up a little). My biggest qualm is the high end. What provides "air" when playing cleans turns into extra fizz that I don't like when distorted.
Parallel to that, I'm not a fan of the Volume Volume Tone configuration so I would gladly replace on of the volumes for an EQ knob. Where can I find more about these EMG active EQ knobs ?

lewis

Reaction score
I have a EMG 57-66 set (in a pretty Schecter too) and I don't dislike them to the point I want to change them (and unless I could sell them to make someone happy I wouldn't want them to go to waste), but I'm looking for ways to improve the sound. I love the cleans, but in distorted sound I have mixed feelings. When I compare and record different pickups and look at the spectrum I see the 57-66 have a low end cut balow say 30 Hz (good) and a boost around 250Hz (tends to muddy things up a little). My biggest qualm is the high end. What provides "air" when playing cleans turns into extra fizz that I don't like when distorted.
Parallel to that, I'm not a fan of the Volume Volume Tone configuration so I would gladly replace on of the volumes for an EQ knob. Where can I find more about these EMG active EQ knobs ?
The EMG website bro :)

The entire list is here -

http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/guitar-accessories.html (under tone options)

&

here

http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories.html (the options under "Bass" work with guitar just fine - and will even say that in each description)

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score

I have the same opinion. I dont dislike them to the point where i want to change em but want to improve upon them.

Except i actually dont mind the dist sounds and like em. Things i dont like are the cleans as i find em mediocre and the lead tones on anything but the bridge i just find to be terrible.

If those things could be solved and maybe the dist sounds had become more aggressive and had a but more output and the bottom end was tighter and more percussive for palm mutes

Exchanger

Reaction score
That's what instantly turned me off to the EMG 57/66 set and led to their demise (me replacing them).
Well I had been thinking why not Fluence, because then I could keep active for cleans and switch to passive for distortion (+single coil voicing as an option). Which is what led me to this post. But if battery life is an issue this is a bit of a turn-off for me, I'm the kind of guy who tends to forget the jack plugged-in. I wish all active guitars and basses would come with an on-off switch to save the battery, with a LED to remind you it's on, but I digress.

I'd also considered switching to passives enterily, but I'd like to keep one guitar with actives in my arsenal, esp. for these controlled cleans.

The EMG tone knobs are interesting, but none really does what I want short of installing a 3 band EQ with swept mids, which is a bit overkill (and the cavity might be a bit too small for these extra printed circuits). So far, I'm just better off rolling the tone knob off a little when switching to distortion. And still it's something you could easily forget to do, or sturggle to find the exact same setting again, I would much rather have a switch that just cuts a bit of high-end.

cip 123

Reaction score
Well I had been thinking why not Fluence, because then I could keep active for cleans and switch to passive for distortion (+single coil voicing as an option). Which is what led me to this post. But if battery life is an issue this is a bit of a turn-off for me, I'm the kind of guy who tends to forget the jack plugged-in. I wish all active guitars and basses would come with an on-off switch to save the battery, with a LED to remind you it's on, but I digress.

I'd also considered switching to passives enterily, but I'd like to keep one guitar with actives in my arsenal, esp. for these controlled cleans.

The EMG tone knobs are interesting, but none really does what I want short of installing a 3 band EQ with swept mids, which is a bit overkill (and the cavity might be a bit too small for these extra printed circuits). So far, I'm just better off rolling the tone knob off a little when switching to distortion. And still it's something you could easily forget to do, or sturggle to find the exact same setting again, I would much rather have a switch that just cuts a bit of high-end.
What guitar are you putting them in?

You might be able to fit the Fishman Recharge pack in it, which is basically the only reason for this post. It sadly doesn't fit in my guitar.

Exchanger

Reaction score
What guitar are you putting them in?

You might be able to fit the Fishman Recharge pack in it, which is basically the only reason for this post. It sadly doesn't fit in my guitar.
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-7 - the cavity isn't especially big, and the finish is really nice so I'm not willing to risk ruining it by re-routing.

cip 123

Reaction score
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-7 - the cavity isn't especially big, and the finish is really nice so I'm not willing to risk ruining it by re-routing.
That at least has a quick change battery space does it not?

The fishman site has the measurements of the recharge pack on there, I'd suggest looking at that if you're going for them.

Exchanger

Reaction score
That at least has a quick change battery space does it not?

The fishman site has the measurements of the recharge pack on there, I'd suggest looking at that if you're going for them.

I'm not sure how that works. You have that rectangular black thingy that is your battery and that fits where the 9V normally is ? Then when you ahve to rehcarge, you pop out these red and white wires and connect the little square board that has this USB socket ?

In any case, it's like an extra 95 on the 275€ for a Neck + Bridge set. As I said, I think these pickups could sound better, but they aren't bad. Not to the point of spending 350+ on new ones and letting decent pickups gather dust.

Latest posts