Amp shopping (again) but one question...

• Thread starter MistaSnowman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
That question being...Can you record silently using an EVH 5150 III combo? I do know that it has a preamp out jack that can probably go out to an interface, but I'm not sure about if you can use the amp for silent recording.

I am looking at a few amps for a possible purchase including the aforementioned 5150 III combo and a Mesa Mark V: 35. Both these amps may possibly fit what I'm looking for which is a versatile tube amp since my musical tastes range from blues to hard rock, that can offer a line out/DI feature for silent recording. I'm also aware of the Mesa Cab Clone and the Radial Headload Prodigy that can open the door to other amp choices (like the Archon :)). Looking to stay around/under $1600 since ultimately I also have to buy a MarkBass amp for the wife. Thanks for any and all advice that y'all would wish to share!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
The only on-board cab simulation I've heard that didn't sound like complete garbage was the H&K Redbox which is integrated to some of their amps. The Mesa and Laney are both terrible. The Peavey 20MH has it, haven't tried it but I have low expectations. I would look to a full IR loader, possibly the Logidy EPSi as an entry level option. Note that you'll still need a load box to silence the amp. An off the shelf iso cab, such as the Randall, is another possible approach to take.

Xcaliber

Reaction score
I'm considering a Two Notes Torpedo Reload for this purpose. You have to use their IR Loader app so it has to be connected to a computer/DAW, but it's a Swiss Army knife of guitar recording tools and it's no uber expensive ($850).

If I had a tube amp that I loved I would be purchasing one right now, but as it stands I'm not loving my two amp choices so that's a higher priority purchase for me.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
The only on-board cab simulation I've heard that didn't sound like complete garbage was the H&K Redbox which is integrated to some of their amps. The Mesa and Laney are both terrible. The Peavey 20MH has it, haven't tried it but I have low expectations. I would look to a full IR loader, possibly the Logidy EPSi as an entry level option. Note that you'll still need a load box to silence the amp. An off the shelf iso cab, such as the Randall, is another possible approach to take.

I forgot about the RedBox and it does come as a standalone unit. I'll have to look into the whole IR thing as I'm not well versed in that.

jerm

Reaction score
Have you considered a Kemper? You could easily find one used for that price and it'll give you a TON of flexibility. Even bass profiles for the wife haha

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Have you considered a Kemper? You could easily find one used for that price and it'll give you a TON of flexibility. Even bass profiles for the wife haha

Kemper's are nice but getting two of them plus FRFR's will run me over $5,000 easy. If I were to go the Kemper/Axe-FX/Helix route and she stays with the MarkBass, I wonder of how much volume that I would need to keep a consistent mix with her bass amp.

PBGas

Reaction score
That question being...Can you record silently using an EVH 5150 III combo? I do know that it has a preamp out jack that can probably go out to an interface, but I'm not sure about if you can use the amp for silent recording.

I am looking at a few amps for a possible purchase including the aforementioned 5150 III combo and a Mesa Mark V: 35. Both these amps may possibly fit what I'm looking for which is a versatile tube amp since my musical tastes range from blues to hard rock, that can offer a line out/DI feature for silent recording. I'm also aware of the Mesa Cab Clone and the Radial Headload Prodigy that can open the door to other amp choices (like the Archon :)). Looking to stay around/under $1600 since ultimately I also have to buy a MarkBass amp for the wife. Thanks for any and all advice that y'all would wish to share!!!

YES....you can. I am trying to remember when I had my 5150III combo. I believe that you would plug in headphones to the headphone jack as a way of muting the speaker and then you could go from the preamp to your DAW and use your IR loader of choice.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not just use free VST's for recording and get the amp you like for playing live/rehearsal?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Very fair question but I'm more versed in using physical amps than using VST's/IR's when I record.

Why?

You have stated that you can't really turn up to where those amps will sound best for recording. The current crop of VST's cover a wide range of tones, very very convincingly. Why limit yourself to what the amp can do quietly, when you can have the best of both worlds by using new technology for home recording? Use the real deal when you enter the studio.

DarthV

Reaction score
Kemper's are nice but getting two of them plus FRFR's will run me over $5,000 easy. If I were to go the Kemper/Axe-FX/Helix route and she stays with the MarkBass, I wonder of how much volume that I would need to keep a consistent mix with her bass amp.

Why would you need 2 kempers? Are you thinking about recording multiple instruments live with a single take or something??

I know my 5153 doesn't start sounding right until it's up around 1. And that's pretty damn loud. The direct recording won't be that great. And I'd not bother with cabclone, it's got some horrible reviews. I could not imagine buying a mark V and a 5150 III then NOT mic'n them up for recording. Seems like a lot of money to get a poor result?

You might want to explain exactly what you want to do.

PS, you probably want to invest in a DI box as well.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Mr. Darth...the quote that you extracted from me did contain two thoughts, so I can see how things can be misconstrued.

Ultimately, I will need to buy two rigs. A guitar rig for me and a bass rig for my wife. In replying to Mr. jerm's suggestion, I was merely stating if I bought a Kemper for each of us plus speakers, it will cost over $5k. I don't need two Kemper's for myself.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Why?

You have stated that you can't really turn up to where those amps will sound best for recording. The current crop of VST's cover a wide range of tones, very very convincingly. Why limit yourself to what the amp can do quietly, when you can have the best of both worlds by using new technology for home recording? Use the real deal when you enter the studio.

While I don't doubt of how good VST's/IR's can potentially be, I do not have any experience with them.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Technically, you could use the Headphone Out on the 5150 III to silently record direct to your audio interface. This is more of a trick than a solution though. :coffee:

Descent

Reaction score
You can try something really easy to use like this guy's stuff:
http://kazrog.com/

You can load his amps (Thermionik) and his cab emulations (Recabinet) from the trial one after the other in your DAW and tweak it, add the rest of your effects in the DAW like you would anything for anything else.

If you're planning on just using one or two amp sims, the Kazrog stuff is good and fast to get to know.

There's also a lot of other amp sims and IRs out there. I like some of Nick Crow's (his 5150/6505 sims) and NadIR impulse loader. LePou's plugins are also free. Lots of free IRs out there, Kalthallen has some great sims.

Then there is the paid stuff: Revalver, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Scuffham, etc...

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses as well as the advice. I admit that I have a lot to learn in regards to the new technology. But for now, I do have all the info that I need. Many thanks!!!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
While I don't doubt of how good VST's/IR's can potentially be, I do not have any experience with them.

Fortunately there's a whole subforum dedicated to recording, which has lots of valuable info and tutortials.

It sounds like you've made a decision though - curious to see your NGD thread!

DarthV

Reaction score
Mr. Darth...the quote that you extracted from me did contain two thoughts, so I can see how things can be misconstrued.

Ultimately, I will need to buy two rigs. A guitar rig for me and a bass rig for my wife. In replying to Mr. jerm's suggestion, I was merely stating if I bought a Kemper for each of us plus speakers, it will cost over $5k. I don't need two Kemper's for myself.

Well you can have different setups for recording and playing live (jamming with the wife, sounds awesome!). As in use the Kemper for tracking both the bass and guitar then having a bass rig for live plus something to power the kemper as well.

Guess we just don't understand your restrictions and what you're actually trying to do. With what you've given us so far, I'd try the VST route first. Why? Well you're going to need an interface & DAW no matter what you're going try. Might as well try out the VST route and see how it works for you. There are tons of free ones, so no money needs to be spent.

I couldn't imagine buying a 5153 and/or mark V to only use with the emulated out.

Latest posts