Amp simulator for Linux?

• Thread starter littlebadboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Hello! Any recommendations for a free amp simulator for a Linux (Mint) machine? My daughter developed an interest on the guitar. I gave her a strat type guitar, but I'm not going to give her an amp for our sanity. How do you install on a Linux?

Aewrik

Reaction score
Guitarix and NAM (Neural Amp Modeller) are free, and the Audio Assault sims are cheap enough. You can get some great tones with Guitarix if you're willing to play around.

Personally, if what she's into is guitar, and not guitar effects and sound tweaking, I'd still get her an amp or a multi effects pedal. Most practice amps have headphone outputs and pretty much all modellers do. Playing is more fun if you spend your time actually playing.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Guitarix and NAM (Neural Amp Modeller) are free, and the Audio Assault sims are cheap enough. You can get some great tones with Guitarix if you're willing to play around.

Personally, if what she's into is guitar, and not guitar effects and sound tweaking, I'd still get her an amp or a multi effects pedal. Most practice amps have headphone outputs and pretty much all modellers do. Playing is more fun if you spend your time actually playing.
Thanks for the advice! I thought of going software for space saving because she has a not-so-big room and she already has a laptop anyway. It's an old computer which I installed Linux Mint on to run decently faster (because we're financially challenged). The idea is, it's a full computer rig rather than having a limited Chromebook. She just picked up the guitar recently, so I'm scuffling on what Linux friendly software she can use. I'm a software user myself, and I thought she could pick a preset she would like. She's not into growling metal. I think she's playing bossanova'ish and pop right now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Following this closely. I've made the switch to Linux myself, and currently I'm using stl Josh Middleton with a wine layer under it. Works ok, but a bit unstable.

The bigger challenge has been to find a replacement for kontakt player, because my virtual bass and drum samples run on it.

Latest posts