AMP simulators... totally lost

• Thread starter glytch5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzfest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought the whole point was a cheap alternative
Alot of times in life you get what you pay for though. Not saying people cant get cheap gear to sound great but yeah

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Yes I do have the focusrite drivers installed properly, and everything set to ASIO.

Cynicanal can you give me an example of a good cabinet impulse to try?

Cynicanal

Reaction score
First, you need an IR loader. Popular choices for this include LeCab and NadIR.

Then, you'll need to load an IR into it. The Sperimental pack was the go-to free impulse pack for years, but it seems to have vanished from the internet. ZETA has a good pack here: (EDIT: I can't get this forum software to stop embedding the link, but there's a bit.ly link on that video you have to click to get to it, so click the "Watch On Youtube" button). Ownhammer has a solid, free Mesa OS impulse here: https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=181&products_id=411

mongey

Reaction score
As far as the abelton question... yes I am making an audio track and I do hear the guitar. Just can't get the plugins to work so I went over to reaper.

don't know your interface , but are you monitoring the wet signal ? if set to direct motoring you will only hear the dry ,so no plug in

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I am h
don't know your interface , but are you monitoring the wet signal ? if set to direct motoring you will only hear the dry ,so no plug in
i'm hearing the plug ins now that I Switched to reaper... now i'm trying to make them not sound like completely garbage lol.. this is going to be a long dark road/hole

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
First, you need an IR loader. Popular choices for this include LeCab and NadIR.

Then, you'll need to load an IR into it. The Sperimental pack was the go-to free impulse pack for years, but it seems to have vanished from the internet. ZETA has a good pack here: (EDIT: I can't get this forum software to stop embedding the link, but there's a bit.ly link on that video you have to click to get to it, so click the "Watch On Youtube" button). Ownhammer has a solid, free Mesa OS impulse here: https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=181&products_id=411

okay... I downloaded zeta_IR

Can you link me to the LeCab? and why do you need this IR loader thing?

Otherwise... is there a tutorial for this? The info on youtube is so incredibly scattered.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
You can get LeCab here: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=LeCab2&id=958 You need an IR loader because you need something to actually load the impulse responses you're using.

I don't know if there's a "tutorial", but it's not all that complex of a process.

Plug your interface in, get it configured in Reaper. Plug your guitar into the interface. Make a new track, assign that input of the interface to the track (if your interface has multiple inputs, otherwise don't worry about this), arm it for record, set it to monitor input. On the tracks FX, first add the ampsim, and then below/after it, add the IR loader (it is critical that the IR loader come after the ampsim! Not before!). Pick an IR in the IR loader, load it in, and you should be good to go. If you're having problems, check your levels on the interface and on the track; make sure nothing is clipping.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Thanks for that info!
I will give this a shot since I have everything down save for the IR part. So the IR loaded goes into reaper under the amp sim... is the IR loader going to know how to find the IRs I have? Or will it prompt me for a directory? How does that part work

Cynicanal

Reaction score
The IR loader is another VST effect. In other words, the FX window should look like the first attachment on this post. When you select LeCab in that list, you'll get another window that looks like the second attachment; you can select your cab impulse from there.
fx list.PNG lecab.png

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Thaaaaank you so much. I will report back how this works when I get some free time to play around.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
okay well, couldn't download lecab but I got nadIr on here... same exact thing just sounds like poop.

Last edited:

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
update: Okay randomly ignite emissary stuff works... sounding a little better with the ignite amp sim and the nadIR... still not quite to where I say "that sounds good" but better being in stereo with the IRloader.
I think a good OD pedal would help a ton.

Last edited:

mongey

Reaction score
update: Okay randomly ignite emissary stuff works... sounding a little better with the ignite amp sim and the nadIR... still not quite to where I say "that sounds good" but better being in stereo with the IRloader.
I think a good OD pedal would help a ton.

is it a good idea to clip a signal going into a digital interface ? debatable , but I say not really. should be as clean as possible

there's a bunch of OD pedal plug ins to do the same thing

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Thats what I meant... an OD pedal plugin lol.
I found one... and it helped.

The one dude got me a lot further with this, I thank you very much. Still not where I want it, but the info really helped a ton.

decoy205

Reaction score
Revalver in reaper sounds awesome once you dial it in.

Sogradde

Reaction score
People need to stop expecting to fire up some amp sim and sound like their favourite CD. I don't know where that meme comes from but it's actually tube amps that are plug and play. VSTs are "plug in and suffer and have bugs and watch youtube tutorials and barely play" until you have a fair bit of experience under your belt.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Thats what I meant... an OD pedal plugin lol.
I found one... and it helped.

The one dude got me a lot further with this, I thank you very much. Still not where I want it, but the info really helped a ton.

Mercuriall has good ones, also Ignite amps. Greed Smasher and TSC-808 would be my go-to's if there's only individual plugins in a signal chain.

Also remember to use a noise gate.
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Efektor_Silencer&id=2832
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
People need to stop expecting to fire up some amp sim and sound like their favourite CD. I don't know where that meme comes from but it's actually tube amps that are plug and play. VSTs are "plug in and suffer and have bugs and watch youtube tutorials and barely play" until you have a fair bit of experience under your belt.
I've spent HOURS with a few friends over the years drilling how this stuff works. I'm far from a pro engineer, but working in a DAW isn't just "plug and play" and I think some people see a person sitting at a computer cranking out sick tones and they're like "I have a computer, I play games, this should be cake" not realizing that just the basics of DAW usage and home recording actually require HOURS and HOURS of learning, and practice, and screaming at a screen, and trying different software to see what works for you, etc etc.
To the OP. I would honestly quit messing around with VSTs if you're not interested in recording, return all the stuff you just bought, and get something like a Line 6 HX stomp. Much more tactile to operate, no need to mess with software unless you want to, much shorter learning curve (IMO) compared to computer-based guitar tones. I know how all this stuff works and I still don't mess around with VST amps until I'm reamping if necessary. I can dial a better tone faster on my cheap-ass Line 6 HX FX than I can in most amp sim plugins. Too many variables from input gain to IR implementation, to power amp sims, etc etc just to play some music.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
Surprised nobody suggested the Neural DSP stuff yet. They all have desktop versions that don't require using a DAW and are pretty plug and play sound-wise. I like the two Fortin ones best for metal, but you might as well try the free trials for all of them.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

Big this, I felt like a mouse trying to pilot a space shuttle for a week until I started to wrap my head around things and I still might have just evolved from a mouse to just like, a raccoon trying to pilot a space shuttle