AmpliTube Mesa/Boogie vs. Toneforge Misha Mansoor

YannickMaris

Reaction score
I'm looking for a quality amp sim. Mainly for practice at home, but also recording.

I like bands like Wintersun, Nightwish, Epica, ...

Both the Mesa/Boogie from AmpliTube and Toneforge Misha Mansoor are roughly $100.
Which of these two (AmpliTube or Toneforge) have the best reputation and/or is best suited for me?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
"Everyone writing about their favorite amp sims" -thread. But...

Toneforge Misha plugin has not been released yet, so it has hardly any reputation. It probably is very Peavey 5150 sounding like his signature amp. TSE X50 2.4 or Thermionik Psycho C (EVH 5150III sim) could be very good alternatives for it.

I would recommend Kazrog Thermionik. They have sims for different Mesa Boogie Recto's, Mark IV and Bogner Uberschall. Those get you straight into Wintersun, Nightwish or Epica ballpark. What I've been fiddling around with Amplitube, I just don't like how it feels but tones are otherwise okay.

Another Recto sims that I've personally liked has been Overloud TH3 Modern CH3 and Brainworx Megadual.

YannickMaris

Reaction score
"Everyone writing about their favorite amp sims" -thread. But...

Toneforge Misha plugin has not been released yet, so it has hardly any reputation. It probably is very Peavey 5150 sounding like his signature amp. TSE X50 2.4 or Thermionik Psycho C (EVH 5150III sim) could be very good alternatives for it.

I would recommend Kazrog Thermionik. They have sims for different Mesa Boogie Recto's, Mark IV and Bogner Uberschall. Those get you straight into Wintersun, Nightwish or Epica ballpark. What I've been fiddling around with Amplitube, I just don't like how it feels but tones are otherwise okay.

Another Recto sims that I've personally liked has been Overloud TH3 Modern CH3 and Brainworx Megadual.

Thanks for your reply :)
I will definitely check out the alternatives!

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
If you want to play around with some free options, Poulin's Lecto plugin and Ignite Amps Emissary may work well for you. I'd actually put Emissary just right behind ReAxis for great amp plugins.

I've no experience with any of the JST stuff, but I like the Amplitube Mesa pack. I'll echo the other poster in recommending you try Thermionik as well. They have a very generous trial period. I wasn't exactly blown away by the plugins, but the Thermionik stuff was better than many of the Helix Native sims IMO. The Thermionik Mesa Mark IIB is a very nice surprise.

Latest posts