Amps you own that are "keepers"

• Thread starter bigsimpin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Hyland

Reaction score
Original Mk1 Orange Rockerverb 50. Pretty sure it’s the only Rockerverb that came with 6v6s?

Wouldn’t be expensive to replace and I BARELY play it as the convenience of playing through my Line 6 HX keeps me going but it always brings a smile to my face when I play through it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably my Katana 50. It's worth next to nothing if I sold it, plus it sounds great for recording, and it's loud enough to use live. Even if I got back into gigging regularly and bought something else, I'd still keep it for home use I reckon.

Wahwah

Reaction score
I picked up an Axe Fx3 and haven't used a real amp since.

I don't really know how they could put more features in that I'd think were worthwhile in a v4 so I think that it might be all I'll ever use, as long as it keeps working.

Solomon Monagle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Laboga Mr Hector - perfect blend of a dual rec and a 5150, without the flaws of either. Also the matching 3x12 with the v30s and black label works a treat.

Dredg

Insignificant
Reaction score
1974 G1 Sunn Model T.
1974 Hiwatt DR103.
And strangely, my Katana Head on a Raezer's Edge extended range cab until I find a better practice amp

kentheterrible

cheer up emo kid
Reaction score
Mesa MkIII Black dot w/ MB III++ mods. Mesa Recto Rev G Rackmount. Orange Rockerverb mkiii 50w. I would say my PRS MT15 but it’s only a matter of time before they come out with a USA version and I upgrade.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I mostly use an Axe-Fx and moving internationally a few times means I've left most of my amps in storage and don't miss them too much.

But I hava Fryette GP/DI that I don't see myself ever getting rid of. I backed it on Kickstarter and one of the bonuses of that was you could choose your own serial number. It was the right number of digits, so my serial number is my name. That makes it extra hard to get rid of. My only problem with it is that I opted for the 220V version, so if I ever move back to the US I'll have to use a stepdown transformer or convert the power supply. Guess I'll just have to stay on this side of the Atlantic.

h410G3n

Reaction score
Any love for Laneys? My keeper is an LC30 that I bought when I was 17, not the sickest amp but it chugged away since late 2006 till the tubes went to hell last year and I thought I might finally just pimp it not too long ago.. I swapped the speaker out for a G12M Creamback, had a MOD reverb tank put in instead of the Accutronics one that wasn’t working and put a set of TAD EL84-JJ tubes in. The thing blossomed like it had never done, and it made me realize I’ll never sell it - partly because of sentimental reasons, partly because now this thing sounds really good.

4x3

Reaction score
The two amps I own and will never part with are:
  • Groove Tubes Soul-O 30 Reverb
  • Ampeg VH-140C (x3... and they're all 2x12s)

Hired Goon

Reaction score
Mesa Stiletto Deuce - finding it very versatile. Using it with Torpedo Studio then into computer. Awesome cleans especially when combined with some VST delays/verbs.

I just got into 100/50w tube amp heads during the pandemic after using exclusively modelers/software for over 20 yrs (since Zoom 505).

Thus far: JCM 900, DSL, Dual Rec, Rockerverb III, Vox AC100CPH, and the above Stiletto. No plans to sell. On the hit list: 5150 or 5134, Fender Bassman, Hiwatt

swollseyba

Reaction score
My keepers in order of keeperness:

Driftwood Purple Nightmare
Omega Granophyre
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Engl Savage 120 MKII

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Regarding tube amps, my PRS Archon. I've had my MESA cab for the longest time, and I intend to keep it due to sentimental reasons:

Regarding digital stuff, my Axe-FX 3.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My marshall JCM2000 DSL since my dad gave that one to me. I actually do like it a lot. But it wouldn't be my first choice if I were to ever buy a real head. Sounds mean, and angry though with my orange ppc2x12 cab in a good way.

laxu

Reaction score
I like all the amps I have a lot but I won't say any of them are keepers. I've sold nice amps in the past, sometimes regretting it later.

DeathByButterslax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Hermansson modded Marshall and Mesa

I have had a few amps come through in the last 5-10 years like
6505/6505+ 5153, 5153S
Elmwood Modena 90
Orange Rockerverb
Uberschall Twin Jet/Rev Blue
Friedman Butterslax/BE/Small box
ENGL Invader
Randall RG100
Mesa Roadster & Dual
Mesa Mark IV/V25/JP2C
Fortin Meshuggah
& spent extensive time with several more like Revv, Driftwood, bogners, Friedman’s Soldano, Diezel etc etc

Both of my Hermansson’s just do exactly what I want sound and feel wise, especially when switching between 6-7-8 string guitars. Or different pickups. Others have fallen short when swapping guitars, I would have to tweak and tweak. Now it’s as easy as moving the tightness knob and the gain knob slightly.

the only amps I really want to try are the Wizard Mc2 and a Mark IIC+, but am in no rush. Still in a honeymoon phase with both and I’ve had my Marshall for over a year

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Marshall JCM 800 2203 (1984) with KT88's and Legendary Tones Hot Mod V2
Peavey 3120

Really want to try a Rockerverb

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
I reached the point where I'm completely satisfied with my amps with the amps. I have a KSR Ares, a MW dual rec, a 5153 Stealth 100, and an FM3. I have zero temptation to get rid of any of them. Together, each of the heads cover pretty much everything I need, except Marshall territory. I might try to pickup a jcm800, dsl100, or jvm410 if I can find one at a decent price. I also kinda want to get another uberschall. There's a rev blue near me for $1800 that's been in the back of my mind for like the past month.

Symo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Orange OR120 solid state, love it. Now sold Mesa mkIV and a jcm800 as I like the Orange way more. I am keen to get hold of a quilter as I hear great things.