Any brands\particular models making 5-string budget basses with Ibanez-thin necks?

Antiphase

Reaction score
So, I`m looking for a used 5-string bass under 400$ with thinnest possible neck for my tiny hands. Narrow string spacing would be also prefferable (if it`s possible in this price range) for I don`t do any slapping. I tried some ibanez SR series basses and the neck thickness is pretty much what I need unless it may be even thinner. But the thing is I don`t really like Ibanez, so I`d like to know whether I can choose smth else as well. Any recommendations will be appreciated!
Forgot to say, i`m a sorta guitarist and need the bass only for recording, so if it`s a decent bass but, say, weighs like a tank, it`s fine!

Last edited:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
What don't you like about Ibanez? I hate to break it to you but your options are limited with such a low budget and requirement for a small neck and you likely won't find much better made or with a better preamp and pickups for such little money.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Did the SR you played not feel good in you hands or is the dislike for Ibanez a personal preference thing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Oh... And these are REALLY cheap but I used to have a 5 string Douglas WEB fretless that I LOVED. I'm not sure if all of them are like mine but it played very well. I also don't know how well the fretted ones play either, though.

But it's light weight, not Ibanez :p, 5 strings and narrow string spacing. I don't think Rondo stocks them anymore but you can probably find a cheap one on Ebay or Reverb.

I really wish I could help you more, but most of my experience with basses has been with Ibanez basses, unfortunately.

Antiphase

Reaction score
ok, thanks! Seems like I have to stick with Ibanez

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
Just ordered a yamaha trbx after trying out an ibanez sr to replace my jackson ellefson sig. Wasn’t very impressed with the ibanez and didn’t gel with it despite giving it several attempts... however at the same time I played a yamaha bb, damn fugly bass but that neck did make the click. Ibanez thin and more comfortable than the sr oddly enough. Needed humbuckers so got a trbx305 which do certify under the 400$ pricetag. Check them out if you get a chance and maybe they are what you’re looking for? Btw, same backstory if that helps. Guitarist using it for recording purpose only ;)

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
So, I`m looking for a used 5-string bass under 400$ with thinnest possible neck for my tiny hands. Narrow string spacing would be also prefferable...

Look for an MIJ Fender MB-5 from the '90s. They are configured like (and sound like) Jazz Basses but have a smaller non-offset body, narrow string spacing at the bridge and nut, and a compact 3+2 "parallelogram" headstock. They aren't super common, but I was able to get one for way less than $400.

Looks like you could get a beat up one on Reverb for $159 if you're up for replacing a couple screws.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Just ordered a yamaha trbx after trying out an ibanez sr to replace my jackson ellefson sig. Wasn’t very impressed with the ibanez and didn’t gel with it despite giving it several attempts... however at the same time I played a yamaha bb, damn fugly bass but that neck did make the click. Ibanez thin and more comfortable than the sr oddly enough. Needed humbuckers so got a trbx305 which do certify under the 400$ pricetag. Check them out if you get a chance and maybe they are what you’re looking for? Btw, same backstory if that helps. Guitarist using it for recording purpose only ;)
I've wanted a BB for a while for some reason. I think they're only ugly w a pickguard. I've seen some older ones that don't have one and... :wub:

But most of the affordable ones have pickguards. Might still get one and just remove the guard.

Brutal08

Reaction score
Not thin like a ibanez but ltd f series can be found for pretty cheap 200 series from 2000 to 2005 with 35' scale if you have downtuning in mind