Any carbon/composite Sevenstrings out there?

nangillala

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a big fan of Parker Guitars. I like the sound, but especially the feel of the neck.

Does anyone know of a brand that produces sevenstrings that are somewhat like the Parkers? I know of the custom Oni guitar, which is amazing, but maybe a bit out of my pricerange. I won't post a price limit, because I just want to know whats floating around...

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
Dan announced that he is holding off from doing Carbon Fiber Oni's until further notice.

The Washburn WM7 is probably your closest bet....but, they are hard to come by. Only 12 of them were ever made. Also, they don't have carbon fiber on them, they just have the Phenolic fretboard. The rest is mahogany.

I don't know of any other carbon fiber 7s that wouldn't be Dan's work and wouldn't be ridiculously expensive.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Theres Emerald Acoustics, which make 7 strings. I really wanna get one someday soon.

Its too bad Moses doesnt make 7 string necks, I'd be all over that.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Theres Emerald Acoustics, which make 7 strings. I really wanna get one someday soon.

Its too bad Moses doesnt make 7 string necks, I'd be all over that.

Emeralds do look nice, not to mention a reasonable price on a CF acoustic instrument.

nangillala

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have never noticed there was a 7string version of the Washburn available, I would love to try that. And while I think the carbon on the body is important for the tone (esp. for the piezo tone of the Parkers) it's more about the neck for me.

I checked out Emerald guitars, but it seems like they only do acoustics (great to know, ... if I ever want to buy a new acoustic I know where to look now!). One could ask for a custom sevenstring, though...

Keep it coming guys :)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
There was, as has been mentioned, that one Washburn model that might be fairly close to a Parker (albeit lacking the awesome contouring, weight, etc. that is specific to the Parker design) since US Musicorp acquired Parker and used some of their tooling/methodology for that line. I haven't played them so I can't speak to the quality of it, but that's one of the few out there. You could try pinging XOX guitars and see if they would build a 7, but I played one of those and the tone was not for me at all. :2c: Looks awesome though! :D

As someone already noted Dan has posted in his blog saying he's not doing carbon fiber guitars for a while so I lucked out in that I have one of the two (or maybe 3? not sure if someone else had ordered one besides bostjan and myself?) carbon models he did and it is phenomenal. Depending on the wait time until he builds one and if the price works for you or not, I'd go with that as I love the crap out of my Oni! :D

Sadly there aren't a ton of other guys using it besides Emerald but it doesn't seem like they do electrics unless I missed that somewhere. That fanned 9 string acoustic he did for a guy on here was BADASS, I'd love to have a fanned acoustic 7 from them! :wub:

nangillala

Reaction score
You could try pinging XOX guitars and see if they would build a 7, but I played one of those and the tone was not for me at all. :2c: Looks awesome though! :D
I never got the chance to play such a beast. While it's a bit OT, would you mind elaborating what you didn't like? Have you ever played a Parker? Are they somewhat similar in terms of sound or playability?

As someone already noted Dan has posted in his blog saying he's not doing carbon fiber guitars for a while so I lucked out in that I have one of the two (or maybe 3? not sure if someone else had ordered one besides bostjan and myself?) carbon models he did and it is phenomenal. Depending on the wait time until he builds one and if the price works for you or not, I'd go with that as I love the crap out of my Oni! :D
Would you mind telling me what you paid for your oni (PM would be fine)? Just so that I have a rough estimate at what I could be expecting pricewise? It's one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen! I would love to play that one (so if you ever visit Germany... ;) ). May I ask why you chose wood instead of composite for the fretboard (IIRC)?

Thanks to all of you again!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I never got the chance to play such a beast. While it's a bit OT, would you mind elaborating what you didn't like? Have you ever played a Parker? Are they somewhat similar in terms of sound or playability?

The XOX was very thin sounding, and I heard it through several amps that I played a few other guitars through as well so it wasn't the amp causing the problem. Not sure if it's just the method of construction but the tones they produced are not for me. The Parker stuff sounds much better than the XOX IMO, but they both play fine ( prefer the parker personally). It could be that XOX uses hollow CF and parker uses wood wrapped in CF.

Would you mind telling me what you paid for your oni (PM would be fine)? Just so that I have a rough estimate at what I could be expecting pricewise? It's one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen! I would love to play that one (so if you ever visit Germany... ;) ). May I ask why you chose wood instead of composite for the fretboard (IIRC)?

Thanks to all of you again!

Nah I can't really do that, I ordered a long time ago so what I paid is no longer in line with both a) what Dan charges currently and b) what the exchange rate will actually mean in your currency (it's going to be AUD -> your currency since Dan is in Australia). If you need an estimate, best person to contact would be Dan honestly, I have no idea what his rates are like currently as this was almost 2 years ago when I ordered mine at this point. I chose wood because that was what Dan offered. I like the carbon/resin boards that Parker uses a lot but I don't know if Dan would be able to follow the process that they use as I do know the equipment to make them is pretty pricey. The ebony on the board adds some snap to the attack which is perfect for the guitar design IMO. I find that this guitar sounds a little bit more organic than Parker stuff too, so not sure if it's just the difference in construction methods or if the body + fretboard woods have anything to do with it? :shrug: Either way, I really dig it so if there's a wait involved and you don't have to have one right now ping Dan for an estimate on the time until he'd be willing to build one and how much it would cost currently. :)

nangillala

Reaction score
Bass Lab instruments are made by mix-composite which has some carbon fiber in it.
..::..BassLab - Basses and Guitars..::..............
*lol* How could I forget about Basslab? I always thought the Jinmoid and the basses had a really cool Design. However I don't like the shape of the "normal" guitar that much. One could always ask for custom options on the other hand. Thanks very much for the reminder!

enb141

Reaction score
I'm looking for carbon composite but Necks, I think the guitar body is ok being made of wood but the NECK I'm looking something like moses but for 7 strings.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking for carbon composite but Necks, I think the guitar body is ok being made of wood but the NECK I'm looking something like moses but for 7 strings.

Moses IIRC will do custom work, give them a call. Other than that you're pretty much out of luck.

cronux

Reaction score
my friend could do a neck for you :)

he's starting here in Croatia his custom shop at the begging of 2012...
his main materials are carbon and kevlar and he want's to do original experimental instruments with a lot of tech behind them. Currently I'm under his endorsment and my custom 7 string carbon V should be done by february of 2012. more info when the build starts and the website is up and running :D

The shop will be called Custom PONOR Guitars.
he'll be focusing on 7 and 8 string guitars made entirely/portioned with carbon/kevlar. for the moment he's more into flying v's but he will do "round" guitars if asked and everything will be made by your specs from the bridge, pickups, neck, fanned frets etc. also an idea to "power up" the guitar via a swipe sensor ;)

if anyone's interested pm me for contact :)

cheers...