Any Dog Owners? Looking for advice on breeds...

progmetaldan

Reaction score
We have a family dog, a Shetland Sheepdog who is a fantastic pet, but she's getting old, and I'm considering getting a dog of my own. I'd like one which I can take jogging regularly, and will basically help keep me fit, so something quite active, is intelligent, good with other people but not incapable of taking care of itself or others. Low on grooming and on the larger side, though not massive... Any advice from anyone with similar requirements would be appreciated... :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I don't know which breed would be right for you, maybe a rottweiler or something very active. But you should really get a second dog!
We've got a very large dog who's 14 years old and a young one who's 4 years old and it seems that the younger keeps the older one fit :lol:
It's cute to see him play again like a puppy :yesway:
You can go jogging with him and at home he'll make sure that your Shetland Sheepdog will stay fit for a frew more years.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Hmmm, might consider that! I've probably narrowed it down to either a Border Collie or a Labrador Retriever, but I'm still open to other suggestions of breeds I'm not as familiar with.

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
I would go with a Bull terrier or a Pitbull love those dogs...there not big though..
If you want a bigger dog i would defiantly go with a Cane Corso

bullterrier295x280.jpg

400_Katana.jpg

Cane-Corso--0.jpg

Fikealox

Reaction score
Labs are good, man. They can be pretty athletic, but they're also generally happy to laze around at home (without getting destructive). They're not particularly smart, though. Border Collies, on the other hand, are freakishly smart. I'm not too sure about their temperament, though. Cattledogs are gorgeous, too, and well worth considering (Dave the Fot from bmusic has an awesome one).

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
both breed (border collie and labrador) although mostly know for their lovely temper and intelligence can also be freakishly crazy / dumb. One of my neighbors had such experience with a chocolate labrador and had to give her up becuase she could not deal with the dog's temper and crazyness.

These cases are fairly rare, but ....

Although it is worth noting that (accorsing to my ex-vet) contrary to popular belief, large-ish to big dogs do not need as much exercise as we think, and this includes multiple jogging sessions each week..etc.. apparently a good 1 hour walk everyday with of course the occasional fun time is already good for their overall health, the other obvious thing worse mentioning being a well balanced diet.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I've pretty much decided to go with a Border Collie pup at this stage, just doing a little bit more research but looking positive...

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
These were all on my list when we were looking for a dog(went with a lab in the end):

Vizsla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Weimaraner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_(dog)

Take a look through the AKC sporting group for more:

AKC Breeds by Group - Sporting Group

Weimaraners are fucking beautiful. One of my friends has one, and he's just lovely :wub:

Some others i was looking at when we got a dog (and still want :lol:):
- Old English Sheepdog
Old-English-Sheepdog.jpg

- Bearded Collie
bearded_collie.jpg

- Irish Wolfhound
D%20Irish%20Wolfhound.jpg

- Rottweiler
rottweiler_male8months.jpg

- Golden Retriever
01_07_8---Dog-Golden-Retriever_web.jpg

- Rhodesian Ridgeback
Rhodesian_Ridgeback_600.jpg

- Neapolitan Mastiff (drools.... lots... :eek:)
Neapolitan%20Mastiff.jpg

- St. Bernard
st-bernard-chick1.jpg

I was looking at something medium/big that is basically a bigass teddy-bear, but that is more than happy to exercise with you and so on. Also, other than the Rotty, none of them are good guard dogs :lol:

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i guess you've already have seen an Irish wolfhound in person...the first time i saw one from afar i really thought it was a shetland poney with a little boy walking by his side (on a beach in Jersey (the island in the british chanel, not Bon Jovi's state!!!))

my little sister has got a newfoundland and he is pretty cute too.. and yes his lead is a horse "thingy" (sorry i know nothing about horses!!!)

DSC01464.jpg

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ yeah man, they're fucking massive. It's one of the reasons i love them so muc, cos i can just run up and crash tackle them :wub::lol: I love how "in proportion" they are too for giant dogs, Great Danes are beautiful, but a little strangely proportioned, and Mastiffs are kind of stumpy (though i do love them lol) but the Wolfhounds are just totally big dogs, in every way.

That dog there is beautiful too.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I was looking at something medium/big that is basically a bigass teddy-bear, but that is more than happy to exercise with you and so on. Also, other than the Rotty, none of them are good guard dogs :lol:

get one of these fuckers :lol:
Mastiffs are cool
mastiff.jpg

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
^above : is this picture not photoshoped? where i use to live in the UK one of the guy i knew was breeding mastiffs and they were not that tall. Mastiff are big, but i did not think they were that tall...

t'intraweb says : 28-36" (65 to 91cm) tall..that's a bit taller no?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
miniatures pinschers will run ALL DAY... i got 6 of em. i wouldn't recommend them if you have short patience, though as they're quite hard-headed and mischievous... :lol:

just re-read your post and these guys are definitely not what you need as they're tiny. go with their big cousin the doberman (actually not the same thing... minis came first and somehow they were bred bigger... go figure...)