Any Experience With Payment Plans?

• Thread starter Wings of Obsidian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
if you wanna go that route, instead of getting too complicated, try the Torpedo C.A.B. pedal; its a custom IR loader box. Put it at the end of the HD500 chain (HD preamps with cabs off) and might be a very good rig.. I almost went down that path once

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

haydn

Reaction score
I've used the Sweetwater 3-pay a few times and it works great. I'm intrigued by the 8/10/12 pay on zzsounds and AMS... if only they allowed 10 payments on a Kemper :(

Reaction score
It says 5 payments... still too broke for that haha

They have others. You could do 8 payments/months, or even 12 payments/months. (I'm just worried that the longer amount of time you choose, they'll find a way to squeeze a little extra money out of you. But it appears that via this thread some of my fears and concerns have been laid to rest.)

mesaboogie6l6

Reaction score
I'm using AMS to buy my Gibson Government V, $83 a month for 12 months.

Bill Me Later is awesome, it will check your credit automatically and decide what amount the line of credit will be in seconds, it's not a limit it's a line of credit, my line is $1700, started out at $753. Each plan gives you 6 months to pay it off with no interest, I love it, used it to buy road cases on line, and a Mesa amp on Ebay. The more you use it and pay, the more your line will be.

It all depends on your credit score...............

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I've used AMS's 8 payment plan. It definitely is a nice option. From what I saw I think it's a soft credit inquiry. I could be wrong about that. My credit is not good enough to get approved for their cards, but if I could I would. I know someone who used a Sam Ash 12 months no interest deal, but missed payments and got hit with the interest. So just think it through.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Just so you know, ZZSounds and AMS don't offer the Axe FX nor the Kemper so that's already out of the question.

And I've used Bill Me Later before, great service and extremely flexible granted that you pay whatever you buy off by the promotional period.

Also another point people forget about this, is that if you have bad or no credit they're not going to give you very much money to work with. Their system works that you have a minimal credit line assigned to you, let's say 500$ that you CAN use. You can always run a purchase that is more costly than 500$ like say 600$. They'll run it through and either approve or deny the increase of your MINIMAL Credit Line.

If they approve it, the number or the amount of credit you can AT LEAST use is bumped to whatever purchase amount you made. And if it's denied there are no consequences.

To give you a good idea of how much you can expect to receive. I have a credit score of +700 and I was approved for $800, no outstanding debt or amount to be paid besides my lease on my second car. I wouldn't expect something past 2k if you don't have any credit, and I wouldn't urge you to use it with major bills coming up. Clear that off your plate and buy it when you have ALL of the cash, if you want to use a credit card when this comes around do so to your advantage and pay it off quick and strategically to build your credit.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Payment plans can be alright but if you have a credit card I'd put it on that (assuming you can make at least the min monthly payment when bills hit) just cause some of those payment plans can get kinda sneaky. . . IMO

asfeir

Reaction score
Sorry I know it's a bit off topic, but just wanted to say that the cool thing about custom guitars, even if they are expensive, is that the payment feels a bit like a payment plan..

Reaction score
Sorry I know it's a bit off topic, but just wanted to say that the cool thing about custom guitars, even if they are expensive, is that the payment feels a bit like a payment plan..

You mean the 50% up front and 50% later upon completion?... (That is what I have always done. Didn't exactly feel like a payment plan overtime, haha.)

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
edit: Americam Musical has the Kemper models in stock btw. I'm doing the new Pod HD PRO X and MIDI board till the next Axe Fx [III?] is released in 2014 somtime?

I dont know if you are still interested in responses to your OP?

American Musical is GREAT! base on years of using their 3 payment plan. They were the first to offer this plan option and the rest followed eventually.

AMS, ZZ, Sweetwater all disclose very clearly when and/or if they run your credit. AMS does NOT run your credit on 3 payment plans and "may" on plans over 3 payments [meaning they probably will.] ZZ and Sweetwater run your credit and tell you they are going to very clearly. I do not know the FICO cut off # they use however if your not currently late paying anyone and have had a credit card for a while with no late pays then your most likely going to get the OK.

VERY IMPORTANT - As mentioned already by another forum member on this post... the plans/companies that DO run your credit WILL cause an inquiry on your credit report and you should FOR SURE wait till you make any other large purchase i.e. a home or car etc as it WILL lower your FICO score.

Anyways, the payment plans work as the compnies that offer them say. Nothing tricky. Read their offers and make your choice. Three months with no interest and no credit check [inquiry] has always worked just fine for me at AMS. I highly recommend them.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I didn't know they offered Kempers like that already, as far as I knew it was only available direct, sue me :lol:

As far as the Axe FX 3 is concerned, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. They're working on a floor/pedal based unit as far as I know and it should just be an adaptation of the current hardware for a live intention. They could be working on an Axe III, and it could be released at the same time or after the floor unit comes out. There's really no way of telling, I don't really mind getting the 2 regardless. It's enough for me to really dig my tone and the updates make huge differences already from what I hear from long term users. The fact that it has built in USB 2.0 is enough for me also, it's essentially the reason I have of getting it over the Ultra.

You can play the waiting game or enjoy it now then upgrade later on. It's not like both the Axe and Kempers are hard units to move at all haha :lol:

JP7

Laughs and Shreds
Reaction score
sweetwater I just got mine last friday from them they were awesome my first purchase and it was instantly approved!

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
I was surprised to see the Kempers at American Musical too!

I recall Cliff saying he would not have a new version of the Axe Fx II for at least three years when the current II was released. So I agree should not be anything new for about another year at least along the lines of the Axe Fx II. I've been reading about the Fractal floor model for a long time now. I'd love to see what if anything Cliff does with that.

I'd love to have an Axe Fx II, keep telling myself I can't afford it and the MFC101. I'll buy one someday I'm sure. Also sure the II can do way more than I'll ever use lol. I'm not waiting on buying one because I think anything is wrong with them. I guess I think my playing needs to improve before making that kind of investment in gear ha.

I didn't know they offered Kempers like that already, as far as I knew it was only available direct, sue me :lol:

As far as the Axe FX 3 is concerned, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. They're working on a floor/pedal based unit as far as I know and it should just be an adaptation of the current hardware for a live intention. They could be working on an Axe III, and it could be released at the same time or after the floor unit comes out. There's really no way of telling, I don't really mind getting the 2 regardless. It's enough for me to really dig my tone and the updates make huge differences already from what I hear from long term users. The fact that it has built in USB 2.0 is enough for me also, it's essentially the reason I have of getting it over the Ultra.

You can play the waiting game or enjoy it now then upgrade later on. It's not like both the Axe and Kempers are hard units to move at all haha :lol:

Chuck

Reaction score
Necrobump I know but I gotta quick question, what if you have no credit? I'm not sure that it is actually zero, but I've never had a credit card, never taken out a loan or anything. Say I want to buy the Randall RD20 from Zzounds with the 4 payment plan, will I be able to? It says on their website that most everyone gets approved. Is that actually true?

Frankb7stringer

Reaction score
Necrobump I know but I gotta quick question, what if you have no credit? I'm not sure that it is actually zero, but I've never had a credit card, never taken out a loan or anything. Say I want to buy the Randall RD20 from Zzounds with the 4 payment plan, will I be able to? It says on their website that most everyone gets approved. Is that actually true?

You'll be fine with the 4 payment plan. I've bought so much stuff with the 4 payment but as soon as I want something with the higher payment amounts I don't get approved. If they don't approve you, American Musical should with the 5 payment plan. Idk if they have it for that head yet though

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
I have bought every piece of major equipment using 0 percent financing. I just setup my payments so I always pay it off by the expiration. If you forget and take longer then the promotional period.......that makes you an idiot.

Unfortunately these kinds of promotions are usually for people with some sort of credit. When I worked in a music shop, most younger dudes got declined. You need to build up your credit with a gas card or sears. Att universal card started me off with a $500 limit. Be smart.

DrGand

Banned
Reaction score
necrobump again. Sorry, better than posting new thread though :lol:

I'm looking at purchasing a UV70P from Zzounds, it's $1400, and I have absolutely zero credit. I applied for a credit card once about a year ago and got declined (no surprises there)... But that's the most i've done to my credit. Last time I tried to check my credit, last week, they said i had no credit report because i have no credit. OK.

I dont have any really large expenses, but I make about $2400 a month.

I want to start trying to build credit, but I don't want a credit card. Do you think Zzounds would approve me for the guitar? It says they approve almost everybody, but is that dependent on how much the item is they're buying? If you dont think they would, is there a chance AMS would?