Any News on QTuner?

• Thread starter foreverburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

foreverburn

Reaction score
I scoped the forum and couldn't find any current news on QTuner. Anyone know anything about if they'll be up and running again soon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
They won't be reopening until 2012. They will be releasing a newer main designwhich supposedly better than the old one. They have absolutely nothing left of the old stock.

Although some of that info is from correspondence I've had with them, I have to point out that it is better to go right to their website for their intentions, rather than looking at an unrelated forum. Wouldn't you agree?

Q-tuners: World's first neodymium guitar and bass pickups.

georg_f

Reaction score
^^yes, all I know is that the suspense is killing me

georg_f

Reaction score
just for the people who are also waiting for the new Q Tuners to be launched:

I sent Erno from Q Tuners a message and he said that it'll still take a while, they'll probably be ready late 2012.

Good news is that there will probably be 6 different guitar pickup models, including a model for 8 string guitars.

McCap

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to see what he'll come up with !!

AxeHappy

Reaction score
According to the site March 2011. So it'll have been about a year and a half.

georg_f

Reaction score
^^not a repost
the new news is that they won't reopen until late 2012
previously the info was "early 2012" or "sometime 2012"

sell2792

Reaction score
Are these really that great? I haven't heard much about em', but what I have was all good.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I currently have a q-tuner med-z in my 27" Ibby RG7421XL, and that pup will never leave my possession. I am NOT a lead player, I use it mostly for slightly 'wet' (light delay / chorus) tones, on chording and jazz-type writing. The pup has the best presence I've ever heard in a neck pup without ever being harsh, its more like a piezo sound. The dynamics are incredible, I've never associated the word 'compressed' with it at all. My picking (which is generally very hard) has never maxed out the headroom of the pup.

If you are a lead player who uses your neck pup for gainy leads, the Q might not be the best for you, as it's character doesn't seem to have an in-your-face nor buttery lead tone, at least to my non-lead-playing ears. Considering the wide frequency response, this makes sense to me since the mids are not emphasized, and the eq spectrum extends greatly both up and down from normal pups, which detracts from a focused 'mid-punch' in a gainy context.

For lead purists, I think there are other pups better suited. However, if you are looking for super-clear, deep, defined lows, and presence that rivals piezo systems, the Q is a fantastic pup for cleans, chords, jazz, and ambient sounds.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
I currently have a q-tuner med-z in my 27" Ibby RG7421XL, and that pup will never leave my possession. I am NOT a lead player, I use it mostly for slightly 'wet' (light delay / chorus) tones, on chording and jazz-type writing. The pup has the best presence I've ever heard in a neck pup without ever being harsh, its more like a piezo sound. The dynamics are incredible, I've never associated the word 'compressed' with it at all. My picking (which is generally very hard) has never maxed out the headroom of the pup.

If you are a lead player who uses your neck pup for gainy leads, the Q might not be the best for you, as it's character doesn't seem to have an in-your-face nor buttery lead tone, at least to my non-lead-playing ears. Considering the wide frequency response, this makes sense to me since the mids are not emphasized, and the eq spectrum extends greatly both up and down from normal pups, which detracts from a focused 'mid-punch' in a gainy context.

For lead purists, I think there are other pups better suited. However, if you are looking for super-clear, deep, defined lows, and presence that rivals piezo systems, the Q is a fantastic pup for cleans, chords, jazz, and ambient sounds.

I hear this a lot, and I find it very confusing. I understand what piezos are (clear representation of the woods in a guitar etc. etc.), but don't understand why people like the sound.

Do you like Q-Tuners because they sound close to piezos?

Given the choice between a guitar with piezos, and a guitar with Q-Tuners (assume it's the same model), which would you choose?

I love the sound of Q-Tuners, do not like the sound of piezos.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
I understand what clinstal is getting at. after listening to the sound samples of the neck pickup from the q tuner website I would be agreeable to the piezo comparison. they're very clear pickups that have a striking similarity to piezos but lack some of the issues that my ears tell me piezo pickups have (to my ears they can sound boxy and will lack the ability to sustain no matter how good or bad they sound)

if I had the chance I'd jump at using them because they're extremely clear over a huge frequency band with a piano like attack. would also have to get a new seven or eight string to support this as well because I don't want to modify my current stable and getting a new guitar isn't the worst thing in the world lol

McCap

Reaction score
I have Q-Tuners AND a Piezo in my guitar...

...actually I could do a Demo of the sound differences.

Oh, well next year, mabye. ;)

unfnknblvbl

Reaction score
I have them in my Ibanez RG7321, and my god, they are good. Everybody I've played with since has commented on how great they sound under every condition.
I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't get a set for my RGA7... I'm going to request a custom-made Mandolin pickup when they come back :eek:

Latest posts