Any Recommendations for 500k Push-Push Pots?

• Thread starter asopala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asopala

Reaction score
I just got a Schecter Banshee Mach with a push-pull pot wired for coil splitting, and I realized I much preferred the Push-Push pot that I have on an older guitar of mine. They don't seem very common though, and I'd also like to save on shipping from Warmoth or Allparts (not to mention theirs are double the price of Warmoth's). So I'm looking at Amazon to see what I can get in the next few days, and they have a lot of options, but I don't know what's going to be GOOD, because Amazon's search functions have gone to crap and im mostly seeing brands I don't recognize. I'm also planning on buying three (one for this guitar, one for another guitar, and a spare). Anybody have any recommendations for what to look for? I'm in the US, by the way, if that helps.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
CTS or Switchcraft for pots. I wouldn't consider anything off Amazon that is a no-name or off-brand or cheaper alternative. If you're asking about the size or type that you need, I apologize... not sure what you need specifically.

asopala

Reaction score
CTS or Switchcraft for pots. I wouldn't consider anything off Amazon that is a no-name or off-brand or cheaper alternative. If you're asking about the size or type that you need, I apologize... not sure what you need specifically.
Issue is it doesn't look like either of those companies actually make Push-Push pots, just Push-Pull, which is not what I'm looking for. Or at the very least, looking it up on Google doesn't give any results for either. Allparts and Warmoth brand their own Push-Push pots, for example.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
As a general rule I don't use anything from Amazon on my guitars or vehicles. I like CTS, and buy them by the dozen or so and test them for range, keep the ones which spec closest.

Mojotone or AllParts have the Push-Push FWIW.

asopala

Reaction score
As a general rule I don't use anything from Amazon on my guitars or vehicles. I like CTS, and buy them by the dozen or so and test them for range, keep the ones which spec closest.

Allparts has an Amazon listing, but not Mojotone. I was just saying Amazon because of the return policy and quick/free shipping. Looks like Mojotone might be my best bet, but considering they don't like returns very much, it looks like I'll just have to quadruple check my measurements on the pots.

At least the cheapest shipping option is very reasonable.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I even avoid name brand sold Amazon stuff because with some items folks will buy a knock off and return the knock off so they can keep the genuine item for the knock off price paid. Then some poor SOB ends up getting the knock off resold by the genuine manufacturer. While that is very rare and I doubt it would happen with pots at all, that's my justification for avoiding Amazon as basic good practice when it comes to stuff I need to be able to count on day in and day out.

asopala

Reaction score
I even avoid name brand sold Amazon stuff because with some items folks will buy a knock off and return the knock off so they can keep the genuine item for the knock off price paid. Then some poor SOB ends up getting the knock off resold by the genuine manufacturer. While that is very rare and I doubt it would happen with pots at all, that's my justification for avoiding Amazon as basic good practice when it comes to stuff I need to be able to count on day in and day out.
Good to know. Usually doesn't matter for me for things that I don't care about THAT much, but pots fall under the category of me wanting quality parts.

asopala

Reaction score
Curious what fitment issue you're concerned with... pot shaft diameter or length? or the overall size of the pot itself?
Length more than anything. One guitar is a flat top (Schecter Reaper Elite 6), and the others are carved tops (Schecter Banshee Mach 6 for one, and I have a Push-Push installed on my Schecter KM7 MK1).

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I have one from Warmoth that's been installed in one of my guitars for a few years and it's been solid. I've been considering buying a few more for another guitar, so I'll be looking into these recommendations as well :yesway:

saabmugen

Guitar Man
Reaction score
Length more than anything. One guitar is a flat top (Schecter Reaper Elite 6), and the others are carved tops (Schecter Banshee Mach 6 for one, and I have a Push-Push installed on my Schecter KM7 MK1).
Short shaft for the flat top and Long shaft for the carved top. If you get pots in metric measurements, then quite likely you may have to slightly enlarge the hole in the body, so you might want to remove the current pot from the electronics cavity and check the hole or the current threaded shaft with a caliper.

The shaft itself where the knob would fit comes in two sizes usually, 6mm and 6.35mm (1/4inch).

electric

Reaction score
As far as Brands, Bourns and CTS if you also want to ream your guitar to 3/8 holes, but they are also made is Asia. As a direct replacement you could look for Alpha pots, see if you can find the ones with brass bushings. They feel just as good as the CTS.

gclef

Reaction score

I completely agree re: Amazon parts, but sometimes the cost to risk ratio is too good to pass up.

Case in point. Ford 4.6/5.4 ignition coils. $80 per set on amazon, $600 at Ford. If the cheapies only last a third as long, it's still less than half the price.
The work isn't too bad either to change them.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
When I ordered my weller soldering station brand new, one popped up lightly used on local CL for half the price. I bought the used one, put it in the Amazon box when the new one arrived, and sent it back for a full refund. Thanks Jeff. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

asopala

Reaction score
So I measured the pots and also called Schecter, and they said that every single pot they put on EVERY import guitar with humbuckers are short split-shaft pots with a diameter of 6mm, which confirmed my measurements. Only issue is it looks like the Mojotone pots are 3/8" (9.5mm) diameter, so in the interest of not having to ream larger holes, does anybody know of any drop-in replacements?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Thanks Weller most likely. Amazon's been branching out into their own brands, but they're also a hydra of other brands listing themselves on Amazon's platform. I don't know how those deals actually work, I need the required space in my head for which one of the TV remote screws I cross threaded four years ago at 1am, but from what I gather the main dynamic is somewhat like ebay.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Bourns latching-push are narrow-diameter and I trust Bourns over any other brand - they're not cheap though

Vandrovec

Reaction score
I just got a Schecter Banshee Mach with a push-pull pot wired for coil splitting, and I realized I much preferred the Push-Push pot that I have on an older guitar of mine. They don't seem very common though, and I'd also like to save on shipping from Warmoth or Allparts (not to mention theirs are double the price of Warmoth's). So I'm looking at Amazon to see what I can get in the next few days, and they have a lot of options, but I don't know what's going to be GOOD, because Amazon's search functions have gone to crap and im mostly seeing brands I don't recognize. I'm also planning on buying three (one for this guitar, one for another guitar, and a spare). Anybody have any recommendations for what to look for? I'm in the US, by the way, if that helps.
The recommendation for push-push pots is generally "don't use push-push pots". Latching switches are much less durable and you seem to be a lucky person to not have had issues with yours. My advice would be to look into reliability issues first and foremost, and if you choose to persist on that route, consider installing an additional emergency bypass switch so you're not left without an instrument should it fail.

asopala

Reaction score
The recommendation for push-push pots is generally "don't use push-push pots". Latching switches are much less durable and you seem to be a lucky person to not have had issues with yours. My advice would be to look into reliability issues first and foremost, and if you choose to persist on that route, consider installing an additional emergency bypass switch so you're not left without an instrument should it fail.
Part of it is I don't switch between humbucker and coil-split very much, so I'm not hitting it a whole lot, just every once in a while. It's been good on the guitar I had it installed on for 8 years at least.

asopala

Reaction score
Well, I just had a chance to revisit this whole thing, and I realized I should measure the hole the potentiometer in the Schecters are in, and it's a little over 9.5mm, which means that the 3/8" wide potentiometer from Mojotone should fit. Just put in an order, and I'll test and see if it fits.