Any recommendations for locking tuner upgrade on PRS SE

• Thread starter Anquished
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After a horrible restringing session, I'm thinking of upgrading my PRS SE 277 tuners to locking tuners and thought I'd ask for some recommendations from you guys. I'd love to use the PRS S2 style locking tuners but I've heard that they aren't a direct swap (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyone recommend any decent locking tuners which will fit?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I know Schaller's fit but they are known for not accepting gauges larger than 56, so if you use a lower gauge than a 56 I'd stay away.
I have heard that the Gotoh SG381 MG-T's supposedly work as well (as already mentioned).

You are correct that the PRS USA Locking tuners are not a direct swap; however, John Mann makes Phase II style tuners by modifying the regular PRS SE Tuners, and they are direct swap. This way you get a direct-swap and get the PRS locking tuner look.
https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/MannMade_PRS_Locking_Tuner_Set_Modified_Phase_II_p/7030.htm

I actually recently asked John if he'd make me a 7-string set for my SE-7 string and he threw up a link very quickly and they are now on their way to me (from USA to Canada). Seeing that you are in the UK you will have to determine if international shipping/fees are worth the extra cash. For me, I haven't been able to find any direct swaps for 7 string (4 bass 3 treble) so it's worth the extra fees for me.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I know Schaller's fit but they are known for not accepting gauges larger than 56, so if you use a lower gauge than a 56 I'd stay away.
I have heard that the Gotoh SG381 MG-T's supposedly work as well (as already mentioned).

You are correct that the PRS USA Locking tuners are not a direct swap; however, John Mann makes Phase II style tuners by modifying the regular PRS SE Tuners, and they are direct swap. This way you get a direct-swap and get the PRS locking tuner look.
https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/MannMade_PRS_Locking_Tuner_Set_Modified_Phase_II_p/7030.htm

I actually recently asked John if he'd make me a 7-string set for my SE-7 string and he threw up a link very quickly and they are now on their way to me (from USA to Canada). Seeing that you are in the UK you will have to determine if international shipping/fees are worth the extra cash. For me, I haven't been able to find any direct swaps for 7 string (4 bass 3 treble) so it's worth the extra fees for me.

Thanks for the info. Shame about the Schallers, I'm using a 62 gauge as my lowest string so that would be a no go. I will have a look at those modified PRS tuners and see what shipping is like, I quite like the look of those on my S2. However if not I'll probably just go for the Gotoh tuners.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Please explain what you mean by horrible restring session.

That sounds like you need practice restringing not necessarily new tuners.

angl2k

Reaction score

Just get the 3+3 set and order a separate tuner. Did this with my SE7, easy install. Got it from http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com

The SG381 will accept up to 0.70 string gauge (realistically 0.68 it was already very hard to push through)

Edit: just read that you bought them already :)

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Just get the 3+3 set and order a separate tuner. Did this with my SE7, easy install. Got it from http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com

The SG381 will accept up to 0.70 string gauge (realistically 0.68 it was already very hard to push through)

Edit: just read that you bought them already :)

Dang! Yeah, I already went with the Mann-Made Phase II's. I wasn't able to find many places that sold individual tuners but it looks like this place would have been great for that, and it would have been a lot less expensive!

Oh well, I guess the upside for me is that at least I get the authentic PRS locking tuner look :p

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Please explain what you mean by horrible restring session.

That sounds like you need practice restringing not necessarily new tuners.

Oh I have no doubt its my fault and not the tuners. I'd rather just buy locking tuners than "git gud" at restringing regular ones. By horrible session I meant it took far longer than restringing my S2 and I kept misjudging the distance to get a decent amount of winds on each tuner and ending up with a ton of winds. Plus I had to unwind and rewind a few times as I kept winding over previous winds rather than the tuner post.

Last edited:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Dang! Yeah, I already went with the Mann-Made Phase II's. I wasn't able to find many places that sold individual tuners but it looks like this place would have been great for that, and it would have been a lot less expensive!

Oh well, I guess the upside for me is that at least I get the authentic PRS locking tuner look :p

Yeah shipping on those tuners to here was pretty expensive, I think I'll just go for the Gotoh's after xmas.

metallifan3091

Reaction score
I ordered the Grover 406C set and was able to get an extra tuner for the 7th string via Sweetwater. I've had them a little over two years and I really dig them.