Any Schecter SLS Elite Owners/Players?

• Thread starter BadSeed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Gave it a quick little Play through over lunch. So far, so good! The neck had A LOT of relief in it when it showed up, so I corrected that quickly and that's all it took for it to play great.

Very punchy and chunky. I'm still not an active guy, but I think the Fishmans are the best ones I've tried yet, and I can definitely live with these in here for a long time. Going back and forth between the Apocalypse and this guitar, they feel almost identical in the hands. I prefer the passive Apocalypse II pickups, but both guitars have fantastic fit and finish.

The C1 Elite feels a little better balanced and sits nicely on me while standing. I'll give it some more play time tonight and maybe a quick sound clip!

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
Gave it a quick little Play through over lunch. So far, so good! The neck had A LOT of relief in it when it showed up, so I corrected that quickly and that's all it took for it to play great.

Very punchy and chunky. I'm still not an active guy, but I think the Fishmans are the best ones I've tried yet, and I can definitely live with these in here for a long time. Going back and forth between the Apocalypse and this guitar, they feel almost identical in the hands. I prefer the passive Apocalypse II pickups, but both guitars have fantastic fit and finish.

The C1 Elite feels a little better balanced and sits nicely on me while standing. I'll give it some more play time tonight and maybe a quick sound clip!

The Apocalypse has the Thin C and the SLS has the Ultra Thin C. Which do you prefer at this point?

BadSeed

Reaction score
The Apocalypse has the Thin C and the SLS has the Ultra Thin C. Which do you prefer at this point?

Digging the slim c more at this point. The apocalypse neck surprised me at first with the thickness, I was expecting a good bit slimmer but I enjoy it. I come from mostly Gibson guitars so I'm used to thicker necks to begin with.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Spent some time with the 3 guitars last night. Actually working on recording a little clip for all 3.

Really digging both the Apocalypse and the Elite. Playing them back to back, the neck on the Apocalypse is noticeably chunkier. It also seems to be a bit brighter/spankier than the Elite, but I also put brand new strings on it a couple days ago.
The slim c neck on the elite feels great in the hands. Both guitars have great fretwork and seem to stay in tune without issue. No sharp fret ends. They're both truly high quality feeling guitars.

The CR6 feels great as well, and sounds almost identical to the Apocalypse (same pickups) but seems to have a little more fullness to it, which could be good or bad depending on the tuning. The CR6 is the heaviest of the 3, but still not super weighty. I think I'm more surprised by how nice this guitar is considering it's about $500 less than the other two. It could use a good setup, which I will mess with tonight, but other than that, I see no issues with it. What's hilarious to me is the CR6 is the budget minded guitar of the 3, but has a really nice recessed input jack that the higher end guitars lack......why would they do this?

Anyways, Here's a shot this morning from my little basement jam room with terrible lighting.
119994452_748683542362862_8159843609295818193_n.jpg
119953656_337938777452403_1428102875470845263_n.jpg

mbardu

Reaction score
I'll concur with you that the CR6 is very nice.
Personally, I hate recessed jacks, so without that part that would work out for the best for me :lol:
Had it had stainless steel frets like the others, I would have a couple of them. Out of those 3, it has my favorite neck profile actually.
Too bad it's not a multiply unfortunately. The one I ordered had a twisted neck and a stripped truss rod so obviously that went right back.

But you can't really argue with the package of the Elite and Apocalypse either, even at the higher price point. You can see where the money is going for the extra $$$. Shecter is killing it.

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
That is interesting about the CR-6. My CR-6 is SUPER light. Nothing compared to my Hellraisers or Banshee. I kind of think the pickups seems very bass-less and bright and somewhat harsh. I was gonna change them, but found I needed to drill a replacement, and I wasnt prepared to do that yet.

BadSeed

Reaction score
That is interesting about the CR-6. My CR-6 is SUPER light. Nothing compared to my Hellraisers or Banshee. I kind of think the pickups seems very bass-less and bright and somewhat harsh. I was gonna change them, but found I needed to drill a replacement, and I wasnt prepared to do that yet.

They're def. a bright and lean pickuop, but I prefer that as I can add in the low end on the amp and whatever boost I'm using, instead of trying to fight a dark or bassy pickup. Just my personal preference. I wouldn't mess with these pickups for standard or E-Flat, buit they're great for C# Standard or Drop B

Ignoramus

Reaction score
Well, it's been a week or so. Any decisions made on which one(s) you're keeping?

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That ultra access heel feels better than literally any joint I've played and it's such a nice fast neck on all the SLS elites that it makes the really slick gloss on my other guitar feel sticky.

Stainless steel frets feel great too, definitely can see where the eye to detail and value is

BadSeed

Reaction score
Man, truly a tough decision!

I really, truly enjoy all 3 of them. I think I need to give it a week and make sure all 3 are properly set up and give them each a good play through.

My money is currently on the SLS Elite. Killer low action, great features. Perfectly balanced and the most attractive in my personal opinion. I'm digging the Fishman Moderns more than I thought I would, honestly. I really have no complaints about this guitar.

For the Apocalypse Carbon, this guitar has the best action of the 3. It's almost too low, where it's not letting the strings vibrate freely, but isn't buzzing either. I think if I raise the action a tad I'll find a better balance, as the guitar sounds a tad choked, but I'm really liking the big fat neck on this thing. Fits my hand very well.

The C6 is still the surprise standout. The action isn't quite as good as the other 2 guitars, but it's well balanced and sounds fantastic. The neck is nice and thin, fret ends are smooth. The low E string tends to be troublesome to tune, but the guitar probably just needs a proper intonation.

Really tough call. At this moment, I'd probably keep the SLS, and return the other 2 if forced to choose one. But I'll make the tweaks this week and see where I end up.

Edika

Reaction score
Man, truly a tough decision!

I really, truly enjoy all 3 of them. I think I need to give it a week and make sure all 3 are properly set up and give them each a good play through.

My money is currently on the SLS Elite. Killer low action, great features. Perfectly balanced and the most attractive in my personal opinion. I'm digging the Fishman Moderns more than I thought I would, honestly. I really have no complaints about this guitar.

For the Apocalypse Carbon, this guitar has the best action of the 3. It's almost too low, where it's not letting the strings vibrate freely, but isn't buzzing either. I think if I raise the action a tad I'll find a better balance, as the guitar sounds a tad choked, but I'm really liking the big fat neck on this thing. Fits my hand very well.

The C6 is still the surprise standout. The action isn't quite as good as the other 2 guitars, but it's well balanced and sounds fantastic. The neck is nice and thin, fret ends are smooth. The low E string tends to be troublesome to tune, but the guitar probably just needs a proper intonation.

Really tough call. At this moment, I'd probably keep the SLS, and return the other 2 if forced to choose one. But I'll make the tweaks this week and see where I end up.

It seems you're probably keeping all three lol! A tough choice indeed but if you want the passive and active sounds it would make sense from a financial standpoint to keep the Elite and the CR6 as you said it sounds really close to the Apocalypse.

ThunderMoose

Reaction score
Very cool thread you have here.
I have been eyeing those Schecters for years. Especially the SLS Elite.
But I am used to wide necks and worry that the narrow nut will put me off.

Looking forward to the conclusion of your saga. Will you keep all three or end up somewhere completely different?

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
After years of playing the (original) KM7 and feeling like I needed a good solid 6 string (standard scale) to practice technique with, I decided to go for the PT SLS Elite in the black fade finish. Got it about a month ago and wow...

This is probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned. Period. Plays like a dream, FEELS perfect to hold, and the way the strings and body vibrate couldn't be more perfect. Took it for a thorough setup (wanted to make sure there weren't any issues and the frets looked a little dry) and I've never been happier with a guitar. Suddenly the amp sims I was running my KM7 through sound AMAZING, as opposed to muffled and stale before.

First time owning active pickups and I can definitely say these exceeded my expectations. I was expecting them to sound noticeably different from demos I've heard online and that I would eventually need to replace them with some nice passives but I think these are keepers. (may actually upgrade later on to the Javier Reyes set though) No issues at all with this guitar aside from it being a bit body-heavy, but that's not really that big of a deal.

kK0YJc2.jpg

mbardu

Reaction score
After years of playing the (original) KM7 and feeling like I needed a good solid 6 string (standard scale) to practice technique with, I decided to go for the PT SLS Elite in the black fade finish. Got it about a month ago and wow...

This is probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned. Period. Plays like a dream, FEELS perfect to hold, and the way the strings and body vibrate couldn't be more perfect. Took it for a thorough setup (wanted to make sure there weren't any issues and the frets looked a little dry) and I've never been happier with a guitar. Suddenly the amp sims I was running my KM7 through sound AMAZING, as opposed to muffled and stale before.

First time owning active pickups and I can definitely say these exceeded my expectations. I was expecting them to sound noticeably different from demos I've heard online and that I would eventually need to replace them with some nice passives but I think these are keepers. (may actually upgrade later on to the Javier Reyes set though) No issues at all with this guitar aside from it being a bit body-heavy, but that's not really that big of a deal.

kK0YJc2.jpg

Niiiiice....The PT is even better looking IMO.
Would also have been interested in seeing what an Avenger would have looked like, but I guess that won't happen.