Any tips on how to make rythm guitars sound huge?

• Thread starter androidkaita
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

androidkaita

Reaction score
Just fyi, Andrew, Josh Travis recorded Danza IIII with one track left and one track right. The guy who engineered it, Nick Scott, just recently joined as a member, you should talk to him. His posts are in the "Danza IV" thread.

Thanks for the advice :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
I still find this newest mix isin't all that great, the guitars are HELLA loud, the snare doesn't have enough 'oomph' in it imo, and the overheads are killing my ears

edit: but it is an improvement

Kroaton

Reaction score
In my opinion Hacktivist sounds so huge because of the bass , even though they tune really low (E or F#?) the bass is an octave under that.You can hear it clearly at 0:42 on unlike us.

kerouac

Weird Musical Dildo
Reaction score
If you want something to sound huge, something else has to sound smaller. It's the relationships of size and depth that help make a record more interesting.

Vanzeplica

Reaction score
I tend to be careful when dealing with cuts in my lo mids as there really the meat of the sound. Be careful with any boosts to eq you do as it will diminish other frequencies (duh) Also alot of the huge sound comes from the bass and a good limiter to get rid of nasty peaks, this really gives the bass some impact.

androidkaita

Reaction score
Here is my latest attempt:

This time I tried to make the cymbals sound better, and played with the bass a lot. Actually tried double tracking the bass, so that there is one bass tone with a lot of low end and the other with most of the low end cut out, for note definition.

Also keep in mind on these tests, my bass is in the same octave as my guitar, not an octave lower.

https://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/demiurge-mix-2-improved

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Your drums are very scooped and dry for starters, and your guitars are very honky and overly smooth. I also wouldn't double track bass, instead you should try splitting the signal (or just copying the bass track and pasting it onto a different track) and low passing one and passing the other through an amp modeler to add grit and distortion.

What are you mixing in? like which DAW?

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
Make sure your tone is good/solid enough to sound good when its "big." For both bass and guitar.

Get tight takes. Two is enough in my opinion.

Multiband compresserize them shits as a group. This makes worlds of difference on guitars, and in certain situations it works when you throw the bass into that multiband comp, too.

Alot of the size of the mix is going to come from mastering, too. Don't forget that!