Anybody tried a koa body and pau ferro neck?

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
I haven't had an opportunity to play anything like that but statistically it should sound good and it sure looks nice. Like the title says, has anyone tried that combo and if so how did it sound and feel? Any feedback would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
I haven't had an opportunity to play anything like that but statistically it should sound good and it sure looks nice. Like the title says, has anyone tried that combo and if so how did it sound and feel? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reb Beach did. :))) (Just kidding)

I also want to know the answer, because i also want to try a similar wood construction in my future hand-made guitar. I like rosewood sound.
My spec is ash body w/ some beautiful top (maybe koa or purpleheart) and rosewood neck w/ebony fingerboard.

This koa/rosewood combo also sounds interesting. :)

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I own a Suhr with a koa body and a pau ferro neck. It has a very strong upper mid focus to the sound. Very cutting.

Pau ferro is a very hard wood, the neck feels very different to rosewood, but I like it.

One thing to know is pau ferro kinda stinks. It smells "brine-y".

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
I own a Suhr with a koa body and a pau ferro neck. It has a very strong upper mid focus to the sound. Very cutting.

Pau ferro is a very hard wood, the neck feels very different to rosewood, but I like it.

One thing to know is pau ferro kinda stinks. It smells "brine-y".

Would you say that it is overly bright (or dark for that matter) or well balanced? How about the feel? Is it snappy and percussive like maple or dull? I want to avoid anything thin or anything too dark.

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, I think you are correct and I have mixed myself up.
Perhaps it was one of his older Suhr guitars that had this config?
Maybe, i'm not 100% familiar with Suhr guitars.
Thery're world class guitars, i've played on a few pieces of them, but i don't like the shape of the headstock. It's my own misery, i know! :-D
Maybe in reverse headstock shape, it can be good... :-D

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
As I know, the neck on Guthrie's guitar is made out of maple, but it's "roasted".
Some info here: baked maple necks please

I'd be curious to find out how the pau ferro neck differs from a baked maple neck on a koa body. It's my understanding that pau ferro is somewhat similar to maple but I don't know if it's darker or brighter sounding and by how much.

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
I'd be curious to find out how the pau ferro neck differs from a baked maple neck on a koa body. It's my understanding that pau ferro is somewhat similar to maple but I don't know if it's darker or brighter sounding and by how much.
I think, it's hard to be brighter sounding than a maple. :))))

Latest posts