Anyone ever hire a session vocalist?

• Thread starter frogman81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vocals
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frogman81

Reaction score
Anyone? Since quality vocalists don’t exactly grow on trees, has anyone written vocals and then hired a pro to perform them? How did the experience turn out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalloutd

Reaction score
I tried to hire a good vocalist to perform the vocals in my EP but it was quite impossible :(
So in the end I perform them directly :barf:
When I started to playing live (20 years ago) I remember great vocalists but since my band was brutal death involved all our vocalists were like the pigs put to death

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the idea of trying out the other end of the deal -> hiring myself out as a session player/vocalist. I have no idea how that would work though, since 99% of all musical stuff I've done has been through the same circles of people.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the idea of trying out the other end of the deal -> hiring myself out as a session player/vocalist. I have no idea how that would work though, since 99% of all musical stuff I've done has been through the same circles of people.

If you want to do session work you have to be among the best. Being able to (sight) read sheet music is a very important part too.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I would have thought that was true for certain styles, instrument, clients, etc., but not necessarily for all (or even the majority of) cases. "Among the best" is unfortunately extremely vague. The best at what? The best in terms of mastery of the instrument? The best at following directions? The best at contributing what a track needs at a given time?

I have trouble believing there would be any market at all for session players if you had to be "the best". I always imagined that session players were more often than not selected via networking, socializing, being in the right place at the right time, etc., outside of just ads. The image I have in my head, that may not be accurate at all, is of someone going into a recording, saying they need a guy to play a part or instrument they can't and an engineer at the studio goes "yeh, I know a guy who could do that no problem". He may not be "the best" but is available, competent, a known value, etc.

frogman81

Reaction score
I tried to hire a good vocalist to perform the vocals in my EP but it was quite impossible :(
So in the end I perform them directly :barf:
When I started to playing live (20 years ago) I remember great vocalists but since my band was brutal death involved all our vocalists were like the pigs put to death

Did you try any online services like www.airgigs.com?

frogman81

Reaction score

I kinda mentioned it already, but you could put yourself up on one of the session player websites and see if you get any takers.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
I've used some people on SoundBetter.com. The experiences were all great, and there's some really good singers on there. So far I've not found exactly what my music is looking for, but the singers have all been top notch.