Anyone familiar with Mesa Powerhouse 4x10?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some quick googling just now suggests that the XLS isn't supposed to run with 2ohms if it's in bridged mode.

From the manual:
View attachment 97274

Even just from familiarity with the amp, as much as it sounds like a whole ton of power, that "1100 watts" runs out pretty quickly even just with one cab. Not sure I'd want to push it much more than that.

If running two cabs, why not use it in stereo with the built-in crossover? That's probably the ideal setup anyway, given the difference in cabs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Because I'm not going to take two cabs to shows, and the differences in setup aren't easy to swap - I'd need to fiddle with the menu and use differently-wired cables every time, and I don't want the hassle. I'd be likely to forget something and either ruin a good show, if I'm not risking doing some damage by using the wrong cables.

And like I said, I'm not sure that one side of the amp on it's own is enough to meaningfully power one of the cabs at jam volumes.

I don't get why anyone wants to push me to use both cabs at the same time. Maybe I just don't want to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like it's safe accordignhg to what your amp can handle. I was just curious if you'd try cranking both up for shits and giggles, that's all ;)

I'm guessing you'll be pretty happy with the Mesa!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Nice! I am currently half-considering a Mesa 2x10 just to have something besides my record direct B7k setup. I have plenty of Mesa guitar gear that has been bullet-proof level dependable over the years. $500 for a 4x10 was a great score!

...I should have my 2x10 tomorrow! (Not hijacking the thread, just sharing in it!)

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Sorry if I've been salty in this thread or other ones - it was a long weekend. The cab makes up so much of a bass sound, and I like Mesa stuff in general, so it's all good.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
20210911_122531 (1).jpg

So, I did get that Subway 2x10...... then decided that I needed to upgrade from slaving my HyperLuminal and B7k to an old guitar amp to a proper DarkGlass Microtubes 900. The result is so grindy and so good. So much more clarity, detail, accuracy, and power on tap with a proper bass amp & cabinet!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I saw the 4x10 version of this in Melody Music in Bloomington, IN a few months ago. I got super excited about it since I have an EarCandy guitar cab with pretty similar Tolex and I know how rare custom Mesa finishes can be.

When I got word that they got a 2x10 version, I pretty much had to jump on it. Besides, I have been playing bass quite a bit more lately. I still have my six string & seven string guitars, but I am up to three five string basses. After hearing it, my wife said, "I didn't realize how much you really needed a bass amp." Validation!