Anyone here play along to hip hop?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Just wondering. I've never done it myself but I can't imagine how one would do it without sounding completely out of place and silly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck it do it to all sorts man, it's a great exercise! Just hit the radio on and play along to the latest garbage :lol: Really helps you come out of your comfort zone

Colton165

Resident burnout.
Reaction score
i try to come up with guitar stuff that would be good backing while im listening to rap sometimes ll. prob doesnt work but its kinda fun.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Not often, but it's a lot of fun (Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest, etc). I don't really shred over it or anything, just make up complimentary guitar parts. I'd actually love collaborating with rappers but i don't know any :lol:.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
this dude does a good job of it:

See that's exactly what I DON'T want to do and that's precisely all I've seen of people playing along to hip hop.

No offense to that guy, who's a great player (clearly in the Zakk Wylde vein of things) but it appears like he's just using the track for a noodle fest. I see little interaction between what he's playing and the track behind it :2c:

mickytee

Reaction score
i think the fact that there's little interaction between what he's playing and the actual track is a great thing seeing as its lil wayne.

but yea, i get what you mean. he;s an amazing player, but yes, what he is playing isnt keeping with the feel and vibe of the music.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
Just wondering. I've never done it myself but I can't imagine how one would do it without sounding completely out of place and silly.

:scratch: I dont agree at all, Ive played along to hip hop an it can be a lot of fun. I don't like to listen to pointless tweedly deedly shit over top of hip hop like that video that was posted. Take the bass line an follow it on a 7 is what I usually do, check out Travis Barkers version of soldier boy an tell me that wouldn't sound sick with a 7 in drop G# playing along.
Maybe thats not your thing though, either way, music is about experimentation and not avoiding something just because you might feel out of place.