Anyone here play guitar left handed, even though they are right handed?

• Thread starter Nerina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nerina

mermaidunicornnymph
Reaction score
It seems very few people do this, anyone else out there who would play left rather than right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Um no. That would be totally wrong. :D

Although there are some lefty's on the board.

So how've you been since the last time we hung out? We gotta go play pool again!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Why would someone choose to play left-handed?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Greta Brinkman, the bass player from Moby's band is right-handed, but plays left-handed, with upside down strings. I read an interview with her where she says it was because her first bass was virtually unplayable, and flipped it over so her stronger right hand was the fretting one.

Do you do a similar thing?

Incidentally, Steve Morse, Michael Angelo and Robert Fripp are all lefties, but play right handed. Maybe there's some correlation between playing that way and developing monster alternate picking chops...

thedownside

Reaction score
I'm left-handed and play guitar right handed. Lefty guitars are ickey.

i do this, sometimes i wish i didnt. i can do alternate picking quite well, and my fretting hand is pretty good, but the faster muted rythmn's i am not as good at. my fretting hand is definately the faster and more accurate one. but it also causes me to write riffs that are less concentrated on ultra fast picking and rather more fret movement

Nerina

mermaidunicornnymph
Reaction score
Um no. That would be totally wrong. :D

Although there are some lefty's on the board.

So how've you been since the last time we hung out? We gotta go play pool again!

No what I mean is, how many people would play the opposite of how people usually play, like If you're a right handed person, you normally would play right handed, but, there are some people who would actually prefer to play left handed, even tho they're right handed, and vice versa......If that makes sense....I got some good replies tho, ( THANKS FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE :)

see people do play opposite, I think thats pretty cool :p

:holy:

And yes, whenever you're ready to get ur ass kicked in pool let me know :)

:wavey:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I tried it for an afternoon once because I wanted to see what an Ibanez headstock would look like upside down (and at the time I thought this was a totally original and beastly idea).

I've thought about learning bass the lefty way though. It seems like it would be easier to get my right hand up to speed for fretting than it would be to get it up to speed for picking.

metallatem

Reaction score
I'm lefty and I play right handed. I used to play my friends' guitars before I got one and they were all righty so I just learned that way. I definitely am much better with my fretting hand, i.e. lots of hammer-ons, pull-offs and sweep picking.

Now if only I had done the same thing in golf. It's a pain finding lefty clubs.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a righty who plays lefty.

When I went to buy my first guitar, there were only two guitars for sale (small town pawn shop.) a lefty yamaha pacifica, and a righty SG knock off (the name escapes me at the moment)

I thought the sg was ugly as hell, and I didn't like the weight of it, so I bought the yamaha, thinking that there were better guitars available left handed, as oppose to righty.

Oh the irony....

Donveersingh

Reaction score
I am a righthanded person playing guitar lefthanded because when I was fifteen, I detached a tendon in my left ring finger playing high school football. I learned how to play guitar a few years later and my dad restrung his classical for me to play.

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
I know a guy who is left handed but plays bass right handed, mostly for obtaining gear reasons, but also his dominant hand is on the fretboard.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
My uncle is a lefty but plays right handed. He learned on a right handed guitar because that is what he had. But he can play both ways equally well!