Anyone here use ear plugs?

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I know some of you don't like when old threads get bumped, but it didn't make sense for me to make a new one. After this recent incident with my tubes being bad for who knows how long without me even noticing because of my cheap ear plugs, I decided it was probably time to get some better ones. I'll probably end up with the Alpines, ER-20s, or the similar looking Hearos. Does anyone have experience with more than one of these? Did any one seem better than the others? Are the Alpines really that much better, or are you just paying for the multiple filters? I'm trying to get the flattest response possible, and I can probably go a bit more expensive than the Alpines if there's something else that's better.

the ER20s and Hearos Hi-Fi are literally the same thing. it used to even say so on the Etymotic website....not sure if it still does. basically it was in the dealer section, where Guitar Center was listed, and it said that they carried the ER20s re-labeled as Hearos Hi-Fi. that's what i use, i've been using them for about 3 years now, and they work really well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i got the cheap christmas tree plugs from walmart for about 2 bucks and they worked fine before we found our new bassist, now that we have him, i cant hear my highs, and then i take out the plugs and they are there in spades, i guess i can just feel the bass more ontop of cheap plugs

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
yep.
i dunno. ive got some wierd christmas tree lookin ones too. the blue ones
they take the edge off well, but you can still hear people talking at a normal volume fairly well when its quiet

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't tried the Alpines, but I can definitely recommend the Etymotics - I have their musician's earmold plugs that I wear at every show and rehearsal, and a set of their ETYplugs that I wear when I go to shows. Their response is almost as flat as the musician's plugs, and they're $12!

BTW Thanks for this tip Mike, I've picked up a set of the ETYplugs and they're great :yesway:

Didn't want to bump the thread to say it, but since somebody else had a reason to bump it I thought I'd chime in ;)

Rick Pierpont

Reaction score
I started using them off-stage years ago (but not enough) and then once I started playing more again, I wore them faithfully to practices too. I've always used the cheapo foam ones (33db) and had decent luck with them. I think I've been using them so long that my brain has "adapted" and things sound decent with them in. I can't stand being at a show without them. I bought a $15 pair from GC last year, but found them difficult to get in my ear correctly and was afraid of doing more damage, so back to the foam ones. I do want to invest in a really good pair one of these days (as well as in-ear monitors).

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
So nobody has anything to say about the Alpines or any other ear plugs as compared to the ETY/Hearos? Good to know that the ER-20s and the Hearos Hi-Fi are exactly the same, though. :yesway:

smueske

Reaction score
I made the mistake of not using them for most of my life. Now my left ear shorts out at anything above 100 decibels. I use them now, have for about 4 years now. The only drawback I can see with earplugs is that it kind of fucks up your vocals, but like anything, it takes a little getting used to.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I use the standard 3M plugs, the orange ones. That are made of some type of foam.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use ear plugs when I'm working stageman. It's from some kind of spoonge or something like that.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i knew i should come read this when i saw vova posted...

I use ear plugs when I'm working stageman. It's from some kind of spoonge or something like that.
somehow in my mind was briefly
I use ear plugs when I'm working stageman. It's from some kind of splooge or something like that.

yeah,
having hearing ftw!

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
He changed "spoonge" to "splooge" - haha, semen joke, haha, get it? Splooge.

Haha.

[/12-year-old]

Jeff

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I always use them during a band situation.

I'll even use them at home practicing, because you know, nothing quite feels like cranking an amp. :D

I do want to get a better set at some stage, as I've only got some cheap foam ones. Still, they do their job, and I've not gotten a ringing in my ears for years.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Do the earmolds have to be specially ordered and molded to my ears? Or is there some basic set you can buy?

Universalis

Defying gravity.
Reaction score
The most common yellow foam earplugs work fine for me, at practice or at a gig. When I'm short of earplugs and I have to go to a club or something in which music it's played really loud I take a sigarette's filter, I split it in two pieces, I bend each half and I stick the result in my ears, It's not scientifically certified, obviously. But trust me when I say that with that trick I cut out most part of the dangerous higher frequencies.

robanomoly

ss.org newcomer
Reaction score
You may also want to check with a local Audiologist or hearing aid center about getting ear plugs that are molded to fit your ear canal. They are very comfortable and you can often get different filters for them. They are worth every penny!

As others have eluded, ear protection is not just for loud music. There was an episode of This Old House where an Audiologist showed that hammering can be just as, or more, damaging than a circular saw. I've gotten to the point of wearing ear plugs with noise cancelling headphones. The difference is suprising.

Protect your hearing. There aren't many things as annoying/frustrating/scary as when you can't get to sleep because of the loud ringing/whistling in your ears....and you know that will be with you for the rest of your life. I know.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do the earmolds have to be specially ordered and molded to my ears? Or is there some basic set you can buy?

The earmolds have to be made - most audiologists can do it - and then you buy a set (or multiple sets) of filters. Most use the Etymotic filters, I believe. (That's what I use).

Latest posts