Anyone into Sleep Token? (Check out if you like Deftones)

• Thread starter Marv Attaxx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Found this band a few days ago while listening to an obscure italian radio station while at work :D
Was instantly hooked and needed to shazam it, after work I then bought the record haha.
It reminds me a lot of Deftones (their guitar-guy plays an M80M in Drop E) and also it has a lot of Pop elements and I think the vocals are absolutely fantastic (except one song they're mostly clean).
Have a listen:

Something groovy:

Lots of atmosphere in this one with a batshit crazy breakdown in the end:

Something poppy:

And something heavy and screamy:

Interesting read by their Producer/Engineer George Lever (Loathe, God Complex, The Arusha Accord, He Is Legend, Lotus Eater etc.): http://g1productions.com/sleep-token-jaws/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Superb band. Had the pleasure of seeing them a few times including an intimate seated show in a tiny old church!
Damn, must have been great! I've checked out a few live videos on youtube and it seems like the guy sounds exactly like on the record!

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
Their album was one of my favorites in 2019. Bloodsport is one of the best songs I've heard in years, bar none. I think they've breathed some fresh air into the progressive metal scene and I hope they keep at it.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Love the album, only thing is that while the vocals are emotion soaked and amazing, they kinda feel a bit too much for a full album.

Saying that, it was still one of my favourite releases of 2019, so it's a minor complaint if anything.

Razerjack

Reaction score
Saw them open for Babymetal with no prior knowledge of the band, have to say I wasn't impressed, musically I don't remember much other than that a lot of the breakdowns seems rather random. Wasn't too impressed with the 'anonymous collective' thing, and the vocalist sometimes sounded like he was about to cry, all of the above gave me the impression that they seem to be trying too hard to look and sound 'edgy'.

Anyways, now they seem to be blowing up and getting good reviews everywhere, maybe I just didn't 'get' them and should give it another try.

Folsom

Reaction score
Is it confirmed what tuning they primarily use? Watching live versions of The Offering the guitarist is using his open 8th string for the low note in the ending breakdown, but all tabs I've found (and most video play throughs) use the 2nd fret of 8th string for the low note. It seems the tabs are all transcribed in a lower tuning than what is used live. Why would that be?

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Is it confirmed what tuning they primarily use? Watching live versions of The Offering the guitarist is using his open 8th string for the low note in the ending breakdown, but all tabs I've found (and most video play throughs) use the 2nd fret of 8th string for the low note. It seems the tabs are all transcribed in a lower tuning than what is used live. Why would that be?
Drop-E, or Drop-A with a low E beneath it, is their confirmed tuning. Whomever tabbed the stuff out probably was playing in a different tuning while tabbing and didn’t give a shit about what tuning the band plays in.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Aren't they in D now ? Haven't checked but I was pretty sure on that.
Also worth noting that at least one song (When The Bough Breaks) has been transposed live. When I saw them last they played it a fair bit lower , and with some new structure/parts

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
i got nothing to add other than the fact that i just found out about these guys, and its some of the best stuff i've heard in a while. (Sundowning deluxe popped on my release radar, thank you Spotify!)
If anything, i'm bumping this thread all the way up to hopefully make more people aware lmao.

BlackFalcon17

Reaction score
I just found out about this band a couple weeks ago, they're nuts. I think the vocals are great, riffs are kinda basic but hit hard. I don't really care for the anonymity and all that though

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Hate to be a necrobumper, but I found this band in the past month and absolutely fucking love them. Went and got Sundowning on Vinyl and a shirt, and I've been blasting "Nazareth" non-stop the past few days.
Anyway, to keep this from being a pointless necrothread, has there been any idea who anyone in the band is, or have they managed to keep it secretive this long?
Also, I feel like tabs I seen, plus a few riffs I've listened to, sounds like they're in Drop D# an octave down, but I could be wrong.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score

It's not a necrobump if they have a new album coming, right?
So, I have to say, Sleep Token was basically my band of the pandemic. I couldn't tell you how many times I've spun Sundowning in the past year and a half (and oddly enough, wearing my white Sundowning shirt as I type this). This new song rips and I can't wait for the new album. Worship.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score

It's not a necrobump if they have a new album coming, right?
So, I have to say, Sleep Token was basically my band of the pandemic. I couldn't tell you how many times I've spun Sundowning in the past year and a half (and oddly enough, wearing my white Sundowning shirt as I type this). This new song rips and I can't wait for the new album. Worship.

Just found out that there's a new song and also a new record coming :lol:
On the first listen it didn't really click with me but the second one made me love it!
The vocals are just as fantastic as ever, the drumming is amazing, the deep chugging guitars and the overall atmosphere: can't wait for more :yesway:

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Sleep token is so good to me. Probably my favorite act currently. Can't wait for the album to drop.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
New album is out, about 70% through so far - seriously awesome. Wasn't sure I was going to be into it but the production and songwriting are excellent

Latest posts