Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Yeah, the E-II Arrow 7 that I just got has a 57-7 in the bridge and 66-6 in the neck. They're a bit different, maybe spongier, than the 81x and 60 combo in my old B.C. Rich Virgin. They are not quite as aggressive or as bright as the Fluence Moderns in my Legator 8 string, but have no problem getting a Slayer-style chugging going. The 57-7/66-7 are more clear and focused than the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient in my RGD though.

EMGs for chugs, always.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much. I found a 20pk of 24v a23 cases on eBay and a 10pk of 9v clips on Amazon. $15 total lol
I might go the build your own route too. I'm thinking about that mod for my Dingwalls but I'm unsure if the ones with Darkglass preamps can take that voltage. My Combustion has an EMG pre, so that should be okay I'd guess?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I might go the build your own route too. I'm thinking about that mod for my Dingwalls but I'm unsure if the ones with Darkglass preamps can take that voltage. My Combustion has an EMG pre, so that should be okay I'd guess?
You'd need to double check the specs to make sure they can handle the voltage. Fwiw I don't even know if EMG preamps can handle it. I know their *pickups* can since they're rated for a max of 27v

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You'd need to double check the specs to make sure they can handle the voltage. Fwiw I don't even know if EMG preamps can handle it. I know their *pickups* can since they're rated for a max of 27v
AFAIK the preamps at rated at 18V, or at least I recall the 24V mod guy saying it's not compatible with the preamps.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering after I posted lol

I'm assuming it's the same for old stock Combustions to use BTS for the eq. The tech sheet recommends 18v but can max out to 27v. So that one would be a go.

Darkglass's website isn't as clear, unless I missed something... They kind of make it sound like 18v but it doesn't say a max voltage.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, there's also an option where you can feed power in through a pedal on the floor. The stock option runs 9v and 18v, and I'm told it's stiffer than using a battery.

It's basically using a TRS cable to move the battery connection outside the guitar, then powering it off a regular power supply. I've never tried it myself, but I'd imagine it to be more robust than a battery (ie, less prone to sag as the battery gets worn down).