Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I recently became aware that emg has been making passive pickups outside of their hz line for quite a while.

What do you guys think of Marty Friedman's set? Given how many here like him and EMGs, I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen more mention of them which makes me think they aren't that great.

Seems like no one bothered to try them😅

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I recently became aware that emg has been making passive pickups outside of their hz line for quite a while.

What do you guys think of Marty Friedman's set? Given how many here like him and EMGs, I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen more mention of them which makes me think they aren't that great.

Passive EMGs tend to have a meh reception, mostly because they were in lower-end guitars. I don't think they ever got over that.
@Spaced Out Ace has a set of the MFs though. I'm thinking about trying them in a guitar as well

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

The Marty, Prashant, and Lars pickup sets are rockin'!

Passive EMGs tend to have a meh reception, mostly because they were in lower-end guitars. I don't think they ever got over that.
@Spaced Out Ace has a set of the MFs though. I'm thinking about trying them in a guitar as well
What are both of you guys going for?

Moongrum

Reaction score
What are both of you guys going for?
I was just curious how people find them, not looking for anything at the moment, just geeking out🤓

From the thread I posted, one person said they were lifeless/underpowered, and then another said they are like Super 77s.

Since you brought it up, how are the Prashant's? I know DC resistance is not the end all be all measurement, but was surprised the neck and bridge are about the same output at 13k, sounds like a lot of juice for the neck🧐

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I was just curious how people find them, not looking for anything at the moment, just geeking out🤓

From the thread I posted, one person said they were lifeless/underpowered, and then another said they are like Super 77s.

Since you brought it up, how are the Prashant's? I know DC resistance is not the end all be all measurement, but was surprised the neck and bridge are about the same output at 13k, sounds like a lot of juice for the neck🧐
Considering people can't seem to master the lost, ancient art of pickup height (I know, it's very tricky!), I'm not quite sure what they mean by "lifeless" or "underpowered".

I have them in my Stratocaster with an S2 single coil (their lower output passive single coil) and it sounds amazing. It has a different vibe than any of their other pickups, and the SPC and EXP controls add a lot of versatility. The neck and bridge are voiced well and quite even between each other. I don't find the neck to be too high output wise, possibly due to the A2 magnet.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

From what I can tell the bobbins of the Retroactives are literally just the short-lived OC-series pickups with an active preamp. Like you can pull off the preamp of the RAs and they turn into usable passive pickups

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
From what I can tell the bobbins of the Retroactives are literally just the short-lived OC-series pickups with an active preamp. Like you can pull off the preamp of the RAs and they turn into usable passive pickups
I have contemplated reaching out to them to see if I could buy a few preamps and try them on the H1(A)-H4(A) and signature (ALX, MF, DMF, Rev) pickups.

Primarily, I would be curious to try the H4, H4A, H3, and H3A to basically determine if they are "passive 81/85/60/60A pickups."

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I have contemplated reaching out to them to see if I could buy a few preamps and try them on the H1(A)-H4(A) and signature (ALX, MF, DMF, Rev) pickups.

Primarily, I would be curious to try the H4, H4A, H3, and H3A to basically determine if they are "passive 81/85/60/60A pickups."
I really wish someone would come up with a fairly even, but very tweakable high quality on board preamp. The Duncan Blackouts pre is too much, kind of like the Blackouts themselves, an d Creation Audio Labs Redeemer is just a high quality buffer with no shaping options.

Speaking of shaping options, my pedal experiment is not working out quite like I was hoping, so I think it's time to just throw in the towel and buy an EMG BTC control. It's in the Baxandall/TC Integrated Pre motif but a bit gentler in it's low end roll off and can be run at up to 27v for very good headroom.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I really wish someone would come up with a fairly even, but very tweakable high quality on board preamp. The Duncan Blackouts pre is too much, kind of like the Blackouts themselves, an d Creation Audio Labs Redeemer is just a high quality buffer with no shaping options.

Speaking of shaping options, my pedal experiment is not working out quite like I was hoping, so I think it's time to just throw in the towel and buy an EMG BTC control. It's in the Baxandall/TC Integrated Pre motif but a bit gentler in it's low end roll off and can be run at up to 27v for very good headroom.
Put controls in a pedal box. The you can use it with any of your guitars.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I feel like EMGs are one of those things where they became popular for a reason, but people are always looking for the next best thing and the old standard gets cast aside for the new flavour of the day, then after awhile someone goes back and realizes why they were popular the first time around.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I feel like EMGs are one of those things where they became popular for a reason, but people are always looking for the next best thing and the old standard gets cast aside for the new flavour of the day, then after awhile someone goes back and realizes why they were popular the first time around.
They realize the old adage that goes something like, "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" -- but someone's pocketbook is.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's me lol.

Though The main issue is that I'm lazy as shit, so gutting out entire wiring harnesses to install active harnesses was just a pain in the ass. One of the reasons I kept trying to find passives to scratch the itch

Still haven't found anything that does yet

Marked Man

Reaction score
Anyone put active EMG's into Ibanez RG550? Where to put the battery without routing? Probably under pickguard? Battery change will be pain in the ass, but it would work...

Battery box near the Floyd cavity. Problem solved.

I did that (or rather my tech did) recently for a guitar that was passive from the factory, but had been modified for EMGs by the previous owner and had the battery under the pickguard. WAY too much trouble to remove for my taste unless maybe it was once every 8 or 9 years or so....:wavey:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm finally narrowing down some pickups for my RGA7 to replace the Blackouts. I thought I wanted 707X's but I want to go a little darker and less output than the BO's. The guitar already has a PA2 boost so I can flick that on for more juice.

I'm leaning towards a set of 707's, but wondering if the 60-7 or 66-7 would have more clarity in the neck and go with the 55-7 in the bridge. My concern there is it being too bright or midrangey.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm finally narrowing down some pickups for my RGA7 to replace the Blackouts. I thought I wanted 707X's but I want to go a little darker and less output than the BO's. The guitar already has a PA2 boost so I can flick that on for more juice.

I'm leaning towards a set of 707's, but wondering if the 60-7 or 66-7 would have more clarity in the neck and go with the 55-7 in the bridge. My concern there is it being too bright or midrangey.
EMG 60-7 in the bridge was quite "dry" sounding. Great if your rig is very boosted, but might get overly dry if you prefer dry rigs or amps like Fryette etc. Might not matter if you have PA2 on there already.

I want to try 707X TW/R's. 707 is the OG Dino Cazares sound with coil split and X-series preamp. With competent rig it's all splitting hairs though...

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

I've tried the 707, blackout soapbars, and 60-7 in my rg style 7 custom, a couple 7620's, 707's in a 2027xvv as well as the blackout normal style in a 7620. What type string gauges, action and RGA7 is going to matter a bit. For sure though 707's will address the neck concern of too bright but maybe to bassy. If so just lower it.

- The 60-7 is more like a Strat type tone yet controlled and translates to like 85-90% the perceived output and use of a 707, is brighter and mid scoopy like a strat tone. Could be my rig though. In the bridge it is a little dry, tight, and really good sounding, but if you want more gain you'll need a pa-2 or boost device. It still has plenty of gain really. Seperation and clarity is nice and dynamics are all there too.
- I used dual 707's for a long time then maybe 15 years ago went 60-7 in the neck. I slam them all the way down, use fat strings, high action and when going from bridge to neck the volume transition is perfect, whereas with another 707 it gets more boomy like most setups. I always hoped Emg would come out with an alnico 60-7 but they never do. I've been holding off but I might have to proceed with my idea of putting the 707 back in the neck and using an internal trim pot to get the gain perfect. That'd probably be my setup if I wasn't so lazy about getting it done. That said I have no complaints or need to change out the 60-7 because it's great too. When I change out my wiring someday I'll try my idea though. Sometimes on string changes I put the 707 back in the neck and it's great. If I want less gain rather than turning the volume down I use a Volcano midi box so it's the same amount of DB every time and at that spot it's almost the same as the 60-7 anyways, but boosting a 60-7 is better sounding than boosting a 707 imo for clarity and less compression type sound, but the 707 boosted is a cool tone too so it's just a bunch of good flavors really. The 60-7 does have that ceramic sound though. It's not going away.

- TLDR; 707 bridge, 60-7 neck, if you wanna get crazy those other one's look awesome too but never tried or heard them in real life.

To me the old Blackout soapbars were almost same as a 707 but not as good/clear but more trebly somehow. I don't like the normal style Blackouts and I'd try the 707 bridge 60-7 neck setup first and work with it for a bit. Very versatile and covers a lot of territory. If that still doesn't work flip them and try 60-7 bridge 707 neck. If you like the 707 in neck better leave it there. If you like 60-7 in bridge leave it, if not get another 707 or 60-7 etc. If not try the other sets.
That 55-7 and 66-7 looks like it might be the perfect medium though. Those look better to me but I never tried them. Those have way different specs but are alnico and also have pole pieces in the design rather than rails so it depends how you want that interaction happening. The 55-7 is also 3k rather than 10k like the 66,707,60-7 so that may change how they interact with each other and maybe why they work good as a system etc. You know the only solution is to try every combination and a/b test them using all amp channels right? lol. When I hear demos of the 55-7 and 66-7 they seem like probably better way to go but I like how the 10k Emg's are hitting my amp input, I'm mostly content etc.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
@c7spheres drop EMG an email and ask if you can purchase a 60-7 with an Alnico magnet.

I've been planning on buying a 40JX bass pickup to try since on paper, it's the closest to an SX single as I can get in an 8 string variant. Asked EMG if the 40JX could be ordered with a White cover and mentioned that I'd love to try it with an alnico magnet, and the response stated that they do in fact make a 40JAX, but don't list it on the website.

They might be able or willing to drop alnico mags in place of the ceramics on a 60-7 and voila, 60-7A. Or at least really close.