Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

waffles

Reaction score
I have, and I've never been happier.

I was once a swap whore myself...trying various BKPs, Duncans, DiMarzios, etc. etc. mostly because I was young and I let people influence me that this pickup is good (because very talented prog shred guy uses them) and that this pickup is bad because of this and that, etc. etc. Mind you, they're all good pickup brands and their pickups have their applications for various styles of music.

I think this is also why some people (there are a few of them here, as I've observed) seem to hate EMGs with a passion and I think it's beyond the 'sterile/no life/cold/sounds-the-same-in-every-guitar' complaints. I think these people were once EMG users themselves who eventually experimented with different brands as a result of being influenced by others that those other pickups are 'better'. Then, they hear of people who almost always used EMGs and are very happy with their tones and don't even consider changing them. For them, that was a scenario that they never considered in their 'pickup-swap-dictated' tone quests. Thus, insecurity takes a hold of them and they rant out at EMGs and their users on the internet. It's a classic case of jealousy, I must say. Notice on various metal guitar forums online on how the non-EMG users are very vocal on hating EMGs and really going as far as listing every bad thing about them whereas the EMG users are the ones who are pretty chill and are just like "Why are they hating so much on a piece of equipment?".

Nowadays, I'm not really that 'experimental' anymore when it comes to playing guitar and the same with venturing out to look for new music to listen to. Maybe because I've grown lazy as I got older but maybe also because I already found the sound that I want. I guess the fact that I'm older and work takes so much time now means I really don't have the luxury nor the patience to experiment anymore with different pickups and different styles of music to play. Kinda like if you were once an angsty teen back then trying all sorts of different drugs and now that you're older you prefer stick with your first love which is pot.

Hell, I even sold my 7-strings two years ago and I just keep two 6-stringers tuned to Eb and D-standard with me. I just like to hangout here. :D

For me it's simple. I grew up as a metalhead and will always be one so now that I'm older, my ears are pretty much dead-set on that all-out, take-no-prisoners metal sound. I'm not even interested in the other EMG models - both my 6s have the classic but timeless 81/85 combo...and I'm very, very happy with them.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I think the fact EMG basically promotes this idea that only an 81 should be used in the bridge has caused more harm than good. The way people come about getting their tones don't help with an 81 because it's as if the 81 have the Tube Screamer on all the time, then you turn on another one at your feet, hate the tone, and complain online. I prefer the 85 because it sounds warmer, and doesn't have the Tube Screamer in the pickup thing. That said, I increase the voltage with mine.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
When I first actually plugged into an EMG in my own rig, nearly 30 years ago, I didn't like them, felt like it was an insane amount of output. The context was that I was installing them into customer guitars, then plugging them into my rig to test them, and my rig was based on medium/low output passive pickups. In retrospect, my bias against them was poorly founded because I didn't compensate for gain staging when testing them.

Subsequently, I've gone into a Guitarget many times over the past few decades, grabbed an EMG or SD Active equipped guitar, plugged into an amp cold, then dialed up a tone with no issues and had stellar results. As such, I decided to give them a try when I was "paid" for a repair job with an older 89, and upon re-setting the tone for it, really, really liked it. From there, I decided upon the 57/66 set in both my TFS6 and my FR7620 in the avatar to the left of this post. I also replaced the GFS Neovin Tele set in baritone Tele, and I loved that set for about 7 years.

I couldn't be more satisfied. What I especially notice is the consistency between the 6 string set and the 7 string set. Normally for passive pickups, the same amount of bobbin winds still results in a higher output on the 7 string sets as the bobbins are longer & more wire length is eventually used to accommodate that same number of winds. With the actives, that difference is compensated for. I find that for recording, this consistency is very useful in keeping some sense of continuity in recorded tones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Who has tried the 81 in the neck position? I'm curious what an 81-7 in the neck would sound like but then maybe install a trim pot in series with it to roll back the gain to the level I want cause I'm guessing the output volume would be to high. It seems like it would be like my 60-7 but with the perfect amount of gain/volume as I love my 60-7 but sometimes would like a little more gain without needing to turn on a boost.

lewis

Reaction score
Who has tried the 81 in the neck position? I'm curious what an 81-7 in the neck would sound like but then maybe install a trim pot in series with it to roll back the gain to the level I want cause I'm guessing the output volume would be to high. It seems like it would be like my 60-7 but with the perfect amount of gain/volume as I love my 60-7 but sometimes would like a little more gain without needing to turn on a boost.

Many people, including ryan bruce (fluff) claims their favourite ever EMG neck pickup is in fact an 81.

Im yet to try it but im thinking of changing that fact as soon as i can. (Dual 81s)

Matt08642

Reaction score
Fucking love my EMGs!

I bought a Nazgul/Sentient set to replace the EMG 81/85 set I have, but the more I play the EMGs (had them for probably a year now), I just never feel the need to change them.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
i like the 85 in the bridge . an 85/89 combo is great . The 81 in the neck with the 85 in the bridge is a cool combo. I like emgs ok but i have found other pickups i like better.
I like the 85 in the bridge and 60A in the neck myself. Run em at 24v.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I like the 85 in the bridge and 60A in the neck myself. Run em at 24v.

I was just talking about trying this for my 7 string. It really makes a lot of sense. I'd like to keep it at 18v though. How do you like the 27v mod compared to 9v? What's your thoughts on it?

Last edited:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I was just talking about trying this for my 7 string. It really makes a lot of sense. I'd like to keep it at 18v though. How do you like the 27v mod compared to 9v? What's your thoughts on it?
I do 24v because I can have higher than 9v, but take up less space in the control cavity. Two 9v is kind of a nuisance and takes up too much room.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I do 24v because I can have higher than 9v, but take up less space in the control cavity. Two 9v is kind of a nuisance and takes up too much room.

Thanks, Sorry to bug you, but how do you like the mod though? Is it more of a feel thing like more headroom, more dynamics? Is there any tone changes? Just curious.
BTW, I was going to make my own version of the mod because I can get the connector parts for way less money than 24v mod guy sells it for. Also, You can get small batterys that are 9v instead of 12v like in that mod. They are backwards named, something like a32 or 32a, instaed of a23 or 23a or whatever. It's just that Duracall and Energizer don't make them so they are harder to find. There is the 12v, the 1.5 or 3v, and the 9v all about the same size. I figured I'd make my own little adapter and try out both eventually, but really wanted input on others opinions about it. All I can tell is some think it's placebo and others think it's only dynamics/headroom and others think it's the holy grail of emg sounds.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Thanks, Sorry to bug you, but how do you like the mod though? Is it more of a feel thing like more headroom, more dynamics? Is there any tone changes? Just curious.
BTW, I was going to make my own version of the mod because I can get the connector parts for way less money than 24v mod guy sells it for. Also, You can get small batterys that are 9v instead of 12v like in that mod. They are backwards named, something like a32 or 32a, instaed of a23 or 23a or whatever. It's just that Duracall and Energizer don't make them so they are harder to find. There is the 12v, the 1.5 or 3v, and the 9v all about the same size. I figured I'd make my own little adapter and try out both eventually, but really wanted input on others opinions about it. All I can tell is some think it's placebo and others think it's only dynamics/headroom and others think it's the holy grail of emg sounds.
It is essentially the same as 18v, but I use the 24v thing because it saves room in the control cavity. That's why I didn't go into that much.

And likely those connector parts you are talking about can only handle something like 3v or some shit. He did a video on it.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It is essentially the same as 18v, but I use the 24v thing because it saves room in the control cavity. That's why I didn't go into that much.

And likely those connector parts you are talking about can only handle something like 3v or some shit. He did a video on it.

Good to know. Thanks. I'll probably try the 18v mod with the daisy chain method and just see what it's like then and get the 24v mod if I like it.

gnoll

Reaction score
I used to think that after all this time there must be something better than a 9v 81 in the bridge. I mean, it came out in 1979! It just wouldn't make sense for it to still be the best, if it ever even was.

But...

I can't seem to find anything I like more. I don't like the 85 in the bridge, I don't like 18v mod, I don't like Blackouts, I don't like Fishmans, I don't like other EMG models in the bridge. There are passives I like, sure, but they're pretty different and certainly don't sound like an 81.

I get that not everyone is after the same tone as me, but I do think it's a bit funny that even in this thread the 81 in bridge gets kinda dissed.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I used to think that after all this time there must be something better than a 9v 81 in the bridge. I mean, it came out in 1979! It just wouldn't make sense for it to still be the best, if it ever even was.

But...

I can't seem to find anything I like more. I don't like the 85 in the bridge, I don't like 18v mod, I don't like Blackouts, I don't like Fishmans, I don't like other EMG models in the bridge. There are passives I like, sure, but they're pretty different and certainly don't sound like an 81.

I get that not everyone is after the same tone as me, but I do think it's a bit funny that even in this thread the 81 in bridge gets kinda dissed.

It's an excellent pickup. There's nothing to really improve on if you're going for the EMG characteristics, imo.

I had blackouts, which seemed to have twice the output and sound like shit. I don't care for Fishmans, since I'm not looking for a bunch of sound versatility (whichever guitar has active humbuckers is 1000% going to be my D standard/Drop C metal guitar), and to be honest the voices on Fishman Moderns are all lacking (to my ears) compared to an 81.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Having not used a 57/66 yet, the 81 is a fantastic neck pickup. Clean enough, and leads just cut. My MH400 has an 81/81 from way back when that was the “shredder” set up. It’s fantastic.

Edit: the 81/81 is my default standard when I personally think “EMG pickups”.

I do want to try the 57/66 set but if I end up not liking it as much as 81/81 I won’t be mad.

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
The 18V mod...I don't get it.
I mean...I do understand the purpose of it.

But why would you want to get rid of the compression?
It is studio magic within a pickup and maybe one of the reasons the 81 is so successful.
Less versatility, more consistency.

And consistency is especially valuable when playing live.
For recordings...I would rather switch guitars for a certain part of a song if it demands more dynamics than playing the entire song with compromise pickups.