Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It's a valid question. I'm laughing at the box oozing "shelf item" branding more than anything.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's a valid question. I'm laughing at the box oozing "shelf item" branding more than anything.
When I asked what he had I was thinking of these bad boys. I love that the packaging says "what's inside?", like the manufacturer doesn't even know... Is it cheese? Butter? Ground up tires? Tree bark? No one knows!

Screenshot_20240611_101745_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Marked Man

Reaction score
When I asked what he had I was thinking of these bad boys. I love that the packaging says "what's inside?", like the manufacturer doesn't even know... Is it cheese? Butter? Ground up tires? Tree bark? No one knows!

View attachment 144949

Apparently, you can sometimes find a college diploma in a box of Cracker Jacks, based on some of the clueless people in high places. 🤡

Zhysick

Reaction score
Ok so, I have my LTD EX100 with an 81 in the bridge and a disconnected H4 in the neck just for the looks.

I was originally thinking in getting a 60 for the neck because Metallica and nice cleans but I was going to have a superstrat for anappy single coil sounds, softer stuff and extra versatility but that is not happening in the end.

What so you think would be good? I played an 89 years ago in a Cort guitar and I really liked but the volume drop between single and humbucker is too big so if I were going the 89 route I would get a 89-89R combo so it could be full single or full humbucker but I am tempted for the 66/57TW which can be bought as a set.

What do you think? Any other option?
Which pickups do you think work better on a crunch setting? I don't know about the 60 but the 81 for low gain/crunch is not good. 57/66 are better on low gain? I remember the 89 being very musical, nice for leads but not that much for rhythm.
Do I have to compromise some sounds? Rhythms and cleans are more important than crunch tones if so...

Last edited:

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The 57/66 TW was a little awkward to me, just for the fact of them sounding different than the non TW version.
I really dig the 57 for being very sledgehammerish and not paf-ish at all haha.
But it is insanely hot and not as surgical as the 81.
I dug the 89 in my ESP but for whatever reason i don't gel with EMG clean sounds.
The 66 is not snappy at all if you want that. It is very thick and vintage sounding with a very round attack and a fairly musical compression. I like the 57/66 set with a finely tuned tone control.

In the end; 81/85 or 81/60 if ceramics are preferred.

I don't know what EMG is doing with the 60TW. They assured in a mail, that it will be available end of 2023.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Hhhmmmmmm... I was expecting the 57/66 because of the "attack" of the 57 would be a better combo for crunch/low gain sounds. For take-no-prisoners: yeah, both 57 and 81 are beast for what I hear in demos and songs...

I do like EMG cleans so split (SA) aounds are appealing but normally I kinda dislike the 81 for crunch, I feel it more like a "all or nothing".

Well... I don't know what to do 🤣 if someone has any other option if not I will have to go back to the plan of the 81/60 and keep looking for an HSS guitar for "softer stuff"

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hhhmmmmmm... I was expecting the 57/66 because of the "attack" of the 57 would be a better combo for crunch/low gain sounds. For take-no-prisoners: yeah, both 57 and 81 are beast for what I hear in demos and songs...

I do like EMG cleans so split (SA) aounds are appealing but normally I kinda dislike the 81 for crunch, I feel it more like a "all or nothing".

Well... I don't know what to do 🤣 if someone has any other option if not I will have to go back to the plan of the 81/60 and keep looking for an HSS guitar for "softer stuff"
Don't get me wrong. The 57 does crunch stuff really well.

It's just all out pants off as it comes to high gain. But still very controlable i dug it a lot.

The attack is a bit rounder with less focused mids so it feels a bit looser than the 81 i'd say

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I don't care for the 81, but I have it in one of the guitars with an EXG and SPC control as well as running it at 24v. I pair it with SLVs, though I kind of wish EMG had a hotter (like the SLV) ceramic single coil. Basically an SLV-C to the S.

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
The 66 is not snappy at all if you want that. It is very thick and vintage sounding with a very round attack and a fairly musical compression.
+1 to this.

I typically switch to the neck for soloing above the 12th fret, but I'm a little put off by the feel of the 66 on my RG7421 (at least for fast soloing). fortunately, the 57 sounds great for riffing and even shredding up to the 24th fret

A while back someone on here said they think it would be awesome for a single pickup guitar, and I would definitely like to try that some time.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Blacked out Les Paul custom with EMGs for the full Kirk Hammett
we regret to inform you "he" (lmao sure) decided to switch them out to passives

CSKH89LPCEBBC1_front.png

lmao I gotta bring this up because I still can't believe Gibson made that change, on top of using the wrong tuners

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They could've at least used Dirty Fingers. Fucking derelicts.
I actually got curious and looked up what SHOULD be in the guitars. And they're apparently supposed to be Bill Lawrence designed pickups with PCB backs. Apparently these were only used between 1988 - 1990? So I can see why Kirk didn't go back to those lol.
Still, just fucking use EMGs.