Anyone know if the EMG active tone pot is required for using the 808X?

• Thread starter skeeballcore
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeeballcore

Reaction score
Title says most of it. I've got an RG2228 with stock 808's in it. I got an 808X to try and it just sounds "off" and I'm now seeing something about an active tone pot. Is that a required thing for the pickup to work correctly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devnull

Reaction score
Title says most of it. I've got an RG2228 with stock 808's in it. I got an 808X to try and it just sounds "off" and I'm now seeing something about an active tone pot. Is that a required thing for the pickup to work correctly?

I've done the exact same thing in my RG852. Posted this in another thread and most seem to think the pot needs to be swapped out as well (Your 808X's should have had said pot included).

I'm sure on a fully solderless system it will take a couple minutes to get it done. However, since you're probally using the stock wiring and just changed the pickups (as did I), it seems to be a little more work. In my case, I was wondering if I could just bypass the tone knob easily...no one has replied to my question yet :D

skeeballcore

Reaction score
I've done the exact same thing in my RG852. Posted this in another thread and most seem to think the pot needs to be swapped out as well (Your 808X's should have had said pot included).

I'm sure on a fully solderless system it will take a couple minutes to get it done. However, since you're probally using the stock wiring and just changed the pickups (as did I), it seems to be a little more work. In my case, I was wondering if I could just bypass the tone knob easily...no one has replied to my question yet :D

Yea. I've figured out that the stock pot will not work. Stock pot is 2k ohms. Active pot is 25k. I use a tone control quite a bit so I'm not sure what I'll do yet

devnull

Reaction score
Yea. I've figured out that the stock pot will not work. Stock pot is 2k ohms. Active pot is 25k. I use a tone control quite a bit so I'm not sure what I'll do yet

Well, when you figure it out pls let me know what you did so I can attempt it :hbang:

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the active tone pot is required. That's not to say that the pickups won't work with the regular one, but you'll likely find the sound is lacking. Check the packaging and you'll see the instructions say you must use the active tone pot.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in here. I did a swap of an 81/85 set with the JH Set and left the old wiring. The JH Set didn't sound right so I bit the bullet and did the rewire and there is a very noticeable difference in sound. So if you're changing out for a new set of pickups, definitely swap the wiring.

devnull

Reaction score
So, I'm not sure if what I did was a "good" idea, but in my mind it should have worked. Since I don't care about the tone control much at the moment, I decided to just test something out. I have 2 25k tone pots sitting around (from both pickups install kits) so if I messed up anything, I can fix it whenever I need to.

So, I cut the capacitor lead on the tone pot. Figured that SHOULD take the tone control out of the loop and bypass it.

Regardless if it was the right way to do, or if it was "correct", the pickups sound so much better. Like, a noticeable amount better.

So, will my guitar burn to the ground overnight?

Given To Fly

Reaction score

If you use the tone control than I would suggest you install the active tone control. Right now, you do not really have a tone control, you have a knob that sort of changes the sound...I guess...if you are liberal with the word "changes." :scratch: The active tone control works like a proper tone control. The difference is obvious. :cool: I have the same guitar and went through the same process with the tone control by the way.

So, I'm not sure if what I did was a "good" idea, but in my mind it should have worked. Since I don't care about the tone control much at the moment, I decided to just test something out. I have 2 25k tone pots sitting around (from both pickups install kits) so if I messed up anything, I can fix it whenever I need to.

So, I cut the capacitor lead on the tone pot. Figured that SHOULD take the tone control out of the loop and bypass it.

Regardless if it was the right way to do, or if it was "correct", the pickups sound so much better. Like, a noticeable amount better.

So, will my guitar burn to the ground overnight?

If you are happy with the result, that is all that matters. Unless of course, your guitar does burn to the ground overnight, in which case, I would say doing things "correctly" matters more than your happiness. :coffee:

devnull

Reaction score
If you use the tone control than I would suggest you install the active tone control. Right now, you do not really have a tone control, you have a knob that sort of changes the sound...I guess...if you are liberal with the word "changes." :scratch: The active tone control works like a proper tone control. The difference is obvious. :cool: I have the same guitar and went through the same process with the tone control by the way.

If you are happy with the result, that is all that matters. Unless of course, your guitar does burn to the ground overnight, in which case, I would say doing things "correctly" matters more than your happiness. :coffee:

Happy to report my guitar has made it through the night without any unexpected fires. I will however swap out the tone pot when I get a chance.