Anyone played rg550 20th

• Thread starter mniel8195
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxz

Reaction score
my old one sounds way better-good luck tryn to get parts.P.U.s dont sound same as well/neck seems wider 2/. ive taken my middle p.u. out it really opened up the sustain & accustic qualitys- but my comparision was based on stock set up w/ mid p.u. in gtr. luv the 550 my fav ibanez.mine has the maple frt board v8 pu

Philip N

Reaction score
Was wondering the same thing recently! I got MAJOR gas for one! :D

philip

splinter8451

Reaction score
my old one sounds way better-good luck tryn to get parts.P.U.s dont sound same as well/neck seems wider 2/. ive taken my middle p.u. out it really opened up the sustain & accustic qualitys- but my comparision was based on stock set up w/ mid p.u. in gtr. luv the 550 my fav ibanez.mine has the maple frt board v8 pu

:spock: English?

---

I've played the 20th a few times in shops and I was never really impressed with it compared to the original 550's.

I own a 1991 RG550DX and it is my favorite guitar at the moment.

I say try and get an original 550 in okay/good condition, they can be had for cheap!

bob123

Banned
Reaction score

Dude, Im not a grammar nazi, but this is damn near unacceptable. Please speak like an adult, and not some tweenager on their cell phone.

That said, the 20th's are probably the "better" instrument, although they lack a certain vibe. The neck shape is pretty much the same, the pups are similar (both stock sets are pretty bad, but I put old V's above new ones for sure)

The big benefit of the 20th is the laminate necks. These old 1 peice scarf joint necks are pretty prone to warping and breaking, and the laminates should last forever.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
They are damn good guitars imo and I've owned a myriad of 550 models. You can't go wrong with any of them really, from '87-'07, fine guitars and punch way above their weight.

rvoteary

Cocaine Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 20th in DY and an '87 Roadflare 550 and they're fairly similar. I'd have to say the '87 is a little better as far as tone and feel are concerned (the neck is thinner/it sounds beastly) but the 20th is built rock solid.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I owned 2, I got rid of them because I did not care for the titanium rods in the neck. They felt "dead" to me. It was a very strong neck, very solid, however, I prefer a neck to resonate a little more than those.

Other than that, great guitars.

feilong29

Reaction score
I have had both, and currently have a 1990 rg550 due to being on a budget; I'd take the 20th reissue anyday! Just smoother in feel, especially the neck, and the pups sound much better imo.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Incrdible guitars, I have to dimarzio tone zones and a fs-1 in mine, great for shred among other things.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I have had both, and currently have a 1990 rg550 due to being on a budget; I'd take the 20th reissue anyday! Just smoother in feel, especially the neck, and the pups sound much better imo.

pups and neck are the same dude.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
I've got the Road Flare Red one. It is awesome. The sleekest neck i know, maybe even a bit too thin although i thought i'd like as thin as possible. Just installed a crunch lab to the bridge and it slays! In your face and warm, yet the maple neck/fretboard adds a little clear highs. Totally recommendable!

Too bad I'm gas'n for the RGD 7 string and this would be my 1st to go... :(

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I have a '89 in RFR and it's awesome. The anniversary models are certainly gonna be built to higher standards, so I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
I dug the one at guitar center. Played like a 550.

Nothing to crazy, not to shabby. JUST RIGHT

Jason2112

I'm old school
Reaction score
I had an all original '87 550 and a 20th 550 and I liked the '87 much better. The frets were bigger back then and the older V1/V2 pickups sounded better to my ears. The neck on the '87 did feel thinner though I never measured it to be sure. Over time I sold both guitars due to the thin necks causing me pain in my wrist, but I really wish I could have kept that '87. You really can't go wrong either way but if you have a chance to get an early 550 for a good price, I'd go that route.

mishabasi

Reaction score
I tried one in the store. It had low action and easy playability but "felt" sterile to me. As far as a cheap Ibanez goes, nothing feels as good in my hands as my '05 RG350DX. That Wizard II neck kills!

I didn't even get a good test of the tone. The Neon DR strings sound dull right out of the package. It's a shame. Would have preferred a set of D'addario's... or anything... If it's coated, Elixer is the only way to go.

DISREGARD.... I mistook this thread for the 25th anniversary models...

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
The anniversary models are built in the same factory by the same company, so I don't think it's certain that they'll be built better or differently than the originals....

..but anyway, I've owned several of the 20th's, and they were all awesome. The best one, by far, was the black one with the rosewood board - I had a set of Dimarzio Evolutions in it, and not only did it sound infuriated, it played like a perfect workhorse should. I recommend them, but I suggest that you get a good setup done to it, as you should with any Ibanez.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I owned one - great guitar, just barely used.