Anyone running a voodoo GCX

• Thread starter Zeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zeff

Reaction score
But with a different midi pedal than the voodoo one?

I can't get a straight answer on what pedals out there can send Control Change messages.

My ideal setup would be my Carvin V3, with pedals ran via the GCX and have a midi pedal control the channels of the V3 with whatever pedal combo I want.

I currently have a midibuddy pedal, but it only sends midi patch signals, that is fine to change the V3 channels but it will not control the GCX.

Any ideas?

My dilemma is that I want a basic midi board with just 4 or 5 buttons.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
The GCX is designed to work with the Voodoo Labs Ground Control, anything other than that can get a little troublesome. You'll need something programmable, which I'm pretty sure the MIDI Buddy isn't (it was my first footswitch when I went rack). You'll need something like a Ground Control, Rocktron Midi Mate, Lexicon MPX R1, Behringer FCB1010, or some other Rolls pedal, which I vaguely recall being the Midi Wizard or something. The bottom line is that none of those pedals, nor any programmable MIDI footswitch I can recall, has fewer than ten buttons, because anything programmable is designed for full control of a larger rig, with multiple PCs and CCs sent out per program. Your best bet is to get rid of the GCX in favor of a Rocktron Patchmate, either rack or floor model, because you can actually save presets and program those. Also, you can keep your Midi Buddy for that, although honestly, it's still sub-optimal in my opinion.

Part of the problem with using a GCX with something other than a Ground Control is that you have to be able to send out as many CCs as you have pedals. The FCB1010, for example, can only send out 2 CCs (I think), so it's fine if you only have two pedals, but what if you add a third? I used to use an MPX R1 with a GCX, so I know it can send out at least 8, so you'd be set there, but honestly, it's more hassle than it's worth to use a GCX without a Ground Control. Get a Ground Control, or get rid of the GCX.

Zeff

Reaction score
The GCX is designed to work with the Voodoo Labs Ground Control, anything other than that can get a little troublesome. You'll need something programmable, which I'm pretty sure the MIDI Buddy isn't (it was my first footswitch when I went rack). You'll need something like a Ground Control, Rocktron Midi Mate, Lexicon MPX R1, Behringer FCB1010, or some other Rolls pedal, which I vaguely recall being the Midi Wizard or something. The bottom line is that none of those pedals, nor any programmable MIDI footswitch I can recall, has fewer than ten buttons, because anything programmable is designed for full control of a larger rig, with multiple PCs and CCs sent out per program. Your best bet is to get rid of the GCX in favor of a Rocktron Patchmate, either rack or floor model, because you can actually save presets and program those. Also, you can keep your Midi Buddy for that, although honestly, it's still sub-optimal in my opinion.

Part of the problem with using a GCX with something other than a Ground Control is that you have to be able to send out as many CCs as you have pedals. The FCB1010, for example, can only send out 2 CCs (I think), so it's fine if you only have two pedals, but what if you add a third? I used to use an MPX R1 with a GCX, so I know it can send out at least 8, so you'd be set there, but honestly, it's more hassle than it's worth to use a GCX without a Ground Control. Get a Ground Control, or get rid of the GCX.

Thanks, that helps out, I'll see about selling my GCX for that patchmate. I had posted on the voodoo forums but never really got a direct answer about this.