Archetype: Nolly + GGD Studio Cabs: Zilla

• Thread starter BlackFalcon17
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackFalcon17

Reaction score
I recently picked the Zilla cabs when it was on sale because (1) it seemed like a steal and (2) I wanted to try something other than the IRs that came with the Nolly plugin. It took me about 15 minutes to find a cab combination that I was happy with and recorded this to test in a mix. What do you guys think? Anyone else using these two together?

(soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/chukwu-uduka/mushroom-hunt)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
I'm posting on this thread again, because I was drunk yesterday at 10 AM. I listened to it again and the guitars do not need adjusting. I like it all. Lol. You get your snare to come through super well and I really like that. :D

BlackFalcon17

Reaction score
I'm posting on this thread again, because I was drunk yesterday at 10 AM. I listened to it again and the guitars do not need adjusting. I like it all. Lol. You get your snare to come through super well and I really like that. :D

Lol, all good. I thought it was kinda funny that you said that because I always cut 1db or so at 16k on all my presets. I'm glad to hear that you like the snare, I feel like I only recently started to be able to get it to sound like how I really want it to.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Sounds fucking sick. Although, this might be a personal preference but I have to say that the guitars could use a bit more "meat" to them. I kinda like how the bass cuts through but in a way that makes the guitars sound weaker so maybe try adding some bass or resonance to the guitars. Or maybe just lower the volume on the bass track a bit and bring the guitars up a bit. That way there's less risk of muddying things up because the mix as of now sounds very clear and nice.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Lol, all good. I thought it was kinda funny that you said that because I always cut 1db or so at 16k on all my presets.

A bit curious, can I ask why? Do you really feel a difference cutting 1db at 16k on high gain guitars? Are you doing it with a super wide band or something? Or you're doing that to the whole mix on the mixbus?

BlackFalcon17

Reaction score
Sounds fucking sick. Although, this might be a personal preference but I have to say that the guitars could use a bit more "meat" to them.
I agree, I think it's in part due to the pickups in that guitar which I've always felt like there's something slight off electronically. I'm still getting used to hearing the low end on my speakers, I'll keep that in mind!

A bit curious, can I ask why? Do you really feel a difference cutting 1db at 16k on high gain guitars? Are you doing it with a super wide band or something? Or you're doing that to the whole mix on the mixbus?
The Archetype Nolly plugin has an EQ block that allows you to make adjustments at several frequencies. Considering the 16k is the last one, I'm guessing it's a high shelf so everything above that just gets lowered. When solo'd it sounds a bit harsh/fizzy to me but I don't want to remove any of the "bite." On the guitar bus, I cut everything above 13.5k or so iirc so it's probably not making a huge difference. On the mixbus there's no cutting on the high end, I think just slight boost.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
The Archetype Nolly plugin has an EQ block that allows you to make adjustments at several frequencies. Considering the 16k is the last one, I'm guessing it's a high shelf so everything above that just gets lowered. When solo'd it sounds a bit harsh/fizzy to me but I don't want to remove any of the "bite." On the guitar bus, I cut everything above 13.5k or so iirc so it's probably not making a huge difference. On the mixbus there's no cutting on the high end, I think just slight boost.

Oh okay, yeah in my opinion your mix sounds good, I would say to improve it (obviously guessing), it sounds like the guitars should be brighter, richer in the higher mids (bite or grit), and a bit less on the lower mids (boxy, muddy, unclear sound) to let the higher mids shine, it's really tricky to get it right with high gain, because if you increase high mids then all the messed noise comes up too, so what I would do is pick an impulse that gets you 90% of the way there in terms of brightness and tone. Use a reference track to the get the brightness right for you and obviously listen with the flattest speakers and headphones possible with room treatment or whatever would be ideal, I have none of those so I know what a pain in the ass it can be to get it right.

Bobo

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I've had this addition in mind, and you just reminded me to actually check it out closer lol. Nice track btw.