Architects and Josh Middleton split

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Hoping this means Sylosis is full-time now, and I'm going to assume it's the main reason. Also I'm in the minority of people that liked his work with Architects lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Mirror

Reaction score
This is really a win-win situation for everyone. Architects got a bonkers guitar player (that they didn't really use, but well) and a good friend of Tom Searle after his death to keep the band running and Josh made probably a few more bucks than he did before.

Most importantly though it got Josh down from his kinda old-school elitist "tuning down is stupid and unnecessary" high horse and opened him up to experiment. I mean Sylosis was always bonkers heavy for a band purely on 6-string E-Standard, but the latest record and especially Deadwood feel really fresh after they somewhat plateaued on Dormant Heart.

I am totally looking forward to the new Sylosis record and hopefully, maybe some new Passages / JMP in the future.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not the one who's usually shocked by news I see in the music community , but this made me say " whaattt " out loud . It seemed like everything was going well with everyone . Josh has been one of , if not my favorite players for a while and with his signature ESP I guess I just figured he's in it for the long run . He stepped up in a hard position to fill , and he did a great job . They just opened up for Metallica and it looks like he had a blast .

I think people need to discover how crazy technical and chuggy Sylosis is , especially his playing . And on top of that , he does the vocals too . Crazy talented guy . Cycle Of Suffering was a wild album , and easily showcases how tight they sound . With the new single Deadwood off their upcoming album , I feel like Josh probably wants to go full force with his band , as it's ripe with potential with this release . He also has a wife and kid (s) so that can also be a big reason as well . I know Architects can tour extensively .

I also know he has the STL plug ins and other production softwares he's extremely into , and damn good at , so I imagine he's probably happy with what he has going for him . Hopefully he's happy with what's next for him , seems like a solid guy . I'm sure we'll see and hear some nasty Sylosis stuff soon !

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Holy Hell was great, but always kinda assumed that album was the last vestiges of what Tom had written aided by Josh's perspective/input. Haven't really enjoyed their more recent two albums, but glad that this seems to have raised the profile of Sylosis and excited to see what Josh does next.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I'm not the one who's usually shocked by news I see in the music community , but this made me say " whaattt " out loud . It seemed like everything was going well with everyone . Josh has been one of , if not my favorite players for a while and with his signature ESP I guess I just figured he's in it for the long run . He stepped up in a hard position to fill , and he did a great job . They just opened up for Metallica and it looks like he had a blast .

I think people need to discover how crazy technical and chuggy Sylosis is , especially his playing . And on top of that , he does the vocals too . Crazy talented guy . Cycle Of Suffering was a wild album , and easily showcases how tight they sound . With the new single Deadwood off their upcoming album , I feel like Josh probably wants to go full force with his band , as it's ripe with potential with this release . He also has a wife and kid (s) so that can also be a big reason as well . I know Architects can tour extensively .

I also know he has the STL plug ins and other production softwares he's extremely into , and damn good at , so I imagine he's probably happy with what he has going for him . Hopefully he's happy with what's next for him , seems like a solid guy . I'm sure we'll see and hear some nasty Sylosis stuff soon
I like technical chuggy so this post inspired me to make a sylosis discog playlist

Last edited:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
This is really a win-win situation for everyone. Architects got a bonkers guitar player (that they didn't really use, but well) and a good friend of Tom Searle after his death to keep the band running and Josh made probably a few more bucks than he did before.

100% :yesway: I'm not even a huge Sylosis fan but I can tell that style is a far better fit for him as a player. Glad it was all amicable, at least.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I’m genuinely blown away by this. As far as I know Josh wrote most of the music after Tom’s death. I’d be curious to know if it was inner band turmoil or person issues on Josh’s end.

JW Shreds

Reaction score
It's funny because when Sylosis released "Deadwood" i was like... "Goddamn it Josh, go back to doing this full time. It rips." In my eyes this is great news.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They have late July dates for their European tour , so I'm either presuming this has been the plan for a while and already have a replacement in mind , or they'll have to find someone relatively quick . Wonder who that could be ?

RoRo56

Reaction score
It felt like Sylosis never got a lucky break, something always got in their way pf major success. Architects was obviously a huge opportunity for Josh and was able to help his friends out but it never felt like a long term fit. I'd say they continue as a 4 piece

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
I'm torn on this, as I'm happy it likely means more Sylosis which is never a bad thing but a bit sad as I was looking forward to Josh integrating more of the technical riffs into those last 2 albums, but it obviously didn't happen, and now we'll never know what that sounded like.

I also think they'll stay as a 4 piece (or hire an electronic/keys player) over hiring a touring guitarist or another fulltime member atm

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's funny because when Sylosis released "Deadwood" i was like... "Goddamn it Josh, go back to doing this full time. It rips." In my eyes this is great news.
This is why I don't think there's any drama or bad blood. I think he just wanted to focus on Sylosis full time since it seems like they're going full steam ahead

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
After the news dropped there was a picture of Adam, Josh and Doc Coyle. Not sure if that was happenstance or if he's going to be filling in. Personally glad to have Josh focusing on Sylosis, as they've been a huge influence since Edge of the Earth. As for Architects I'm sure they'll be fine. The commercial success of their last two albums (1# in the UK with For Those That Wish To Exist) seems to have skyrocketed them into some type of pop-metal status. For me, even with Josh I haven't really enjoyed anything post Tom.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I am surprised. That said, I'm a big fan of Josh, and not a fan of Architects whatsoever. So from my selfish POV, this is a good thing because we'll probably get more Sylosis and solo stuff. Though it would suck if they've fired him and obviously he'll be taking less income etc.

neurosis

Reaction score
That guy oozes talent and skill. Incredibly clean and precise player. Rhythm, lead and vocals. He could have a one man band and it wouldn't look weird at all. :D
Hope this is his a good opportunity to push Sylosis higher.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
obviously Tom Searle's passing was a big loss, and i don't mean to minimize that, but Architects had been coasting on the same sound (except for maybe their latest album which i never checked out, but have heard it's pretty different) for something like 10 years imo. i was excited to see someone crazy talented join them hoping it'd mix things up but it seems like nothing changed at all, so i'm pretty stoked to see him go back to Sylosis. also, architects are huge now, even if he quit with 0 notice i doubt they'd have even a slightly difficult time finding someone good enough to fill in for tours.