Archons are hard to spot...Here's why...

• Thread starter Manhell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manhell

Reaction score
I just went to Musicstore yesterday and I was having a blast just playing through the Kemper, which I might buy somewhere soon, and I thought I would stay there for another hour, because I was having a lot of fun with it, when I look to the side and the guy pulls out a box that said PRS in the side, so I asked him if it was an Archon and he said yes and was kind enough to let me be the first to try it.

But the reason I wanted to tell you about this is in the picture, loooook:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Insinfier

Reaction score
I was in serious mode so the joke went so far over my head. :yesway:

I want to run an Archon in stereo with my 5150 III 50 watt.

Manhell

Reaction score
:D didn't got it.

well it's a nice sounding amplifier, I was expecting something different but the lead tones and the cleans are really great.

As I have experience with the 5150 50 I don't know if they will go well together, somehow the PRS is cleaner and doesn't have a crunch mode.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Ugly as piss. You are looking at a gravel parking lot, or grandma's couch, and a fat government contract awarded to an inferior and worthless color scheme. That's all it's good for.

Universal Camo Pattern is worthless, which is why we are switching to an early version of Multicam (OCP) with some variants. It fails to hide anything, reduce silhouette, and has bad isoluminance. I get pissed everytime I put that uniform on. Ugh.

Dysfunctional veteran rant aside, it's f*cking sweet that they are offering options like that, or at least as a custom tolex! I'd love to see something cooler like Kryptek Mandrake or something trippy. That would be bad ass.

Manhell

Reaction score
Men, sorry to know you're in a war zone, hope for the best for you. well, I also think is Fugly but as it is rare I though someone here might appreciate it.

Nontheless is a great amplifier and if this was the only way I could have it I wouldn't mind because it sounds really good. I still prefer my VH4 or EVH 100 but it's one of the good ones.

that short guy

Reaction score
Ugly as piss. You are looking at a gravel parking lot, or grandma's couch, and a fat government contract awarded to an inferior and worthless color scheme. That's all it's good for.

Universal Camo Pattern is worthless, which is why we are switching to an early version of Multicam (OCP) with some variants. It fails to hide anything, reduce silhouette, and has bad isoluminance. I get pissed everytime I put that uniform on. Ugh.

Dysfunctional veteran rant aside, it's f*cking sweet that they are offering options like that, or at least as a custom tolex! I'd love to see something cooler like Kryptek Mandrake or something trippy. That would be bad ass.

I feel your pain man.... one of the dumbest decisions both both financially and tactically the army had made.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Men, sorry to know you're in a war zone, hope for the best for you. well, I also think is Fugly but as it is rare I though someone here might appreciate it.

Nontheless is a great amplifier and if this was the only way I could have it I wouldn't mind because it sounds really good. I still prefer my VH4 or EVH 100 but it's one of the good ones.

Yeah I hear you. I want to try one bad! I was surprised that PRS cranked out a pretty badass amplifier for the metal crowd. It is rare to see custom variants like that regardless, especially if it's placed in a gravel parking lot :lol:

I'm in and out of theater. I love it, so worry not. Always appreciated though!:yesway:

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score

aint it funny that you dont pay much attention to how CAM looks until you NEED it to look like nothing at all... hear you buddy (ECN146-3)

Thread drift off

(BTW - I cant stand CAM fashion :rant:, IMO an amp should look like an amp an not a piece of field kit)

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
So what's the gain structure like on these? You guys think it's suitable for early 90's death metal? (like a boosted marshall tone)

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
aint it funny that you dont pay much attention to how CAM looks until you NEED it to look like nothing at all... hear you buddy (ECN146-3)

Thread drift off

(BTW - I cant stand CAM fashion :rant:, IMO an amp should look like an amp an not a piece of field kit)

Yeah, like it's a piece of OCIE you are supposed to throw in your ruck!

As far as gain structure it's supposed to handle death metal and from what I've heard it can do it well, with a boost it should be solid. It's not a Randall Satan, ENGL Savage 120, or similar, but it can do the brootz so I would assume Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Massacre, etc. would be possible.

Manhell

Reaction score
Well, I found it a bit bassy, and it has a lot of gain, not as much as the 5150 but more than a rectifier, I think you can play death metal with it and black, but somehow it's too bassy for that, I wouldn't choose it for that kind of style.

Prog and some rock and new metal genres like technical will take advantage of this amp. also I think is a good amp to be a second buy, when you already have another amp because it is versatile but not in a live situation because you only have clean and lead, no boost or anything, it's pretty stripped down.

Great construction tho.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
Universal Camo Pattern is worthless...It fails to hide anything, reduce silhouette, and has bad isoluminance. I get pissed everytime I put that uniform on.

This!

The only time that shit worked was with zero luminescence or after diving head first into one of the numerous poop ponds of the 'raq. And I too would be pissed every time I put that crap on.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Sir, I am pretty sure there is no PRS archon in this picture. I only see an Egnater and your wall outlet.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
Well, I found it a bit bassy, and it has a lot of gain, not as much as the 5150 but more than a rectifier, I think you can play death metal with it and black, but somehow it's too bassy for that, I wouldn't choose it for that kind of style.

Prog and some rock and new metal genres like technical will take advantage of this amp. also I think is a good amp to be a second buy, when you already have another amp because it is versatile but not in a live situation because you only have clean and lead, no boost or anything, it's pretty stripped down.

Great construction tho.

Damn. I heard the Archon 25 demo and the guy was actually playing black metal esque riffs and it sounded good. Did you try using a boost? Also what tuning were you in? All amps start sounding flubby below C# in my experience.

Latest posts