Are all the MXR-like pedals built by the same people?

• Thread starter soul_lip_mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Are all these people starting their own brands actually designing new innovative pedals or are they all built by the same people?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are all these people starting their own brands actually designing new innovative pedals or are they all built by the same people?

Those things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Sort of like how BAD builds all those different "boutique" amps because setting up large scale manufacturing for this stuff can be a challenge.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For sure a tun of pedal companies are outsourcing to various white label manufacturers.

These small timers don’t have the resources to build pedals with surface mount components. Many are likely having somebody design and manufacture the pcb and they just solder on the pots and switch so they can claim it’s made in the USA.

Makes me wonder what the minimum order size is.

ikarus

Reaction score

Sort of like how BAD builds all those different "boutique" amps because setting up large scale manufacturing for this stuff can be a challenge.

Bad Cat Amplifiers?

Which other brands/models do they build?

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score

Got it - so the design of the pedal itself like the circuit board could actually be something unique but they would outsource the scaled up manufacturing of it to someone that already has the resources to produce them?

Then for "Wylde Audio" his pedals are just MXR and his guitars are just Schecter?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got it - so the design of the pedal itself like the circuit board could actually be something unique but they would outsource the scaled up manufacturing of it to someone that already has the resources to produce them?

Then for "Wylde Audio" his pedals are just MXR and his guitars are just Schecter?

Pro tip: if the guys doing the "designing" are musicians with no electronics skills, they're not doing the designing. MXR is. You can figure out who I'm talking about :lol:

As for the Wylde pedals his sig pedals have always been from MXR and the new ones are actually sold as MXR pedals so that one is pretty clear.

Friedman, Soldano, Bogner, Morgan, and Tone King if I remember correctly. Might be others by this point as well.

Boutique only builds the Bogner pedals, they have their own shop doing the amps in LA.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Something something horizon getgooddrums?

One of the two... from what I've seen Nolly is actually a smart dude that knows his shit across all of this stuff vs being a smart salesman that plays guitar :lol: He's done work on his own amp mods, recording and production, etc etc. The pickup side he wasn't doing the winding but was actually in the process working through the protoypes.

On a side note while BKPs have gotten stupid expensive, the Polymath is a freaking killer pickup. I decided to try it in the bridge of my Horizon-I and love the thing.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Pro tip: if the guys doing the "designing" are musicians with no electronics skills, they're not doing the designing. MXR is. You can figure out who I'm talking about :lol:

As for the Wylde pedals his sig pedals have always been from MXR and the new ones are actually sold as MXR pedals so that one is pretty clear.

Boutique only builds the Bogner pedals, they have their own shop doing the amps in LA.
I'm holding out for the Wylde Audio Bullseye Soldering Station.