Are Schecters really worth it?

• Thread starter katzentacle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Most Schecters, at least any that do not say USA-made, are made at WMIC (World Music Instruments Corp) in Korea.

WMIC makes the overwhelming majority of Korean-made guitars that are available in the US market, and have since at least 1990. Any Korean-made instrument in that price range is made by the same factory. The price of Schecters is pretty competitive with other instruments from that group too.

A quick search brought up a TGP list of brands who produce out of WMIC. That list includes; B.C. Rich, Chapman, Dean, Gretsch, LTD, Line6, PRS SE, and Schecter. I have a nineties Washburn that was made there and I wouldn't doubt my 2019 Legator Ninja 8 was made there too.

But, being sevenstring.org, I would advise to just look for a used Fujigen, Japanese-made Prestige Ibanez and be content in being one of us. :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Passtheapathy

Reaction score
Most Schecters, at least any that do not say USA-made, are made at WMIC (World Music Instruments Corp) in Korea.

WMIC makes the overwhelming majority of Korean-made guitars that are available in the US market, and have since at least 1990. Any Korean-made instrument in that price range is made by the same factory. The price of Schecters is pretty competitive with other instruments from that group too.

A quick search brought up a TGP list of brands who produce out of WMIC. That list includes; B.C. Rich, Chapman, Dean, Gretsch, LTD, Line6, PRS SE, and Schecter. I have a nineties Washburn that was made there and I wouldn't doubt my 2019 Legator Ninja 8 was made there too.

But, being sevenstring.org, I would advise to just look for a used Fujigen, Japanese-made Prestige Ibanez and be content in being one of us. :p
Well said

BabUShka

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of guitars, some very expensive the last 15 years. Many of them sold and trade, but the ATX C1 is still in my collection and its one of the best guitars I've ever played. I paid like $300 for it used around like 14-15 years ago.

Schecter MIK are mostly insanely good guitars. I had super cheap blue C6 Deluxe (Indonesia) and it really impressed me for the price. Not great, but for $200 used I think it did the job well. (it came with D Activators as former owned swapped the pickups) .

They are mostly low/mid level price, but the second hand value is very low in many countries. One thing I regret is that I didnt but the Solo ATX when I had the chance in addition.

Both my ATX and EC1000 are MIK. Seems like they have the exact same binding and finish. They also had identical signed QC label on the back.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Oops forgot I also have a first year Loomis FR7 (low serial number FTW) that is god tier IMO. Sounds incredible, plays incredible. Was so good I got rid of my JP7.

Mine is a 2nd Gen and is my favorite 7 performancewise, hands down...the solid feel of the low B is unmatched.

Vampyr.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
I have several Schecters, and I love them. Great guitars, and great prices. However, that might not be true in other countries.

Great choice for those of us who love 42mm nuts, and round C necks.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
All of my Schecter Diamond Series- Blackjack SLS FR, Avenger 7, Avenger 6, Hellraiser Solo II, Banshee 7, and Sun Valley SS PT FR have been stellar guitars especially given their price points. Not all have been perfect but they've all played very well with little to no set-up and have been reliable and sturdy instruments with very comfortable necks and decent to excellent fret-work. Never had a Schecter that needed a truss-rod adjustment, new pots, electronic rewiring, developed fret-sprout or ever required any fret-work. Nothing fancy when it comes to tuners, hardware, nuts, etc but great platforms nonetheless and all have been quite enjoyable to play without ever breaking the bank.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
They don't really suit what I look for in a guitar anymore, but my first "real" guitar was a Blackjack ATX-7 and it was a huge jump in quality from the entry level stuff I'd been playing before. I ended up trading it for a Fender Blacktop Baritele around 2015, and the teles are worth a lot more now but the Schecter was higher build quality IMO.

ampjunkie

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted, but had to chime in on Schecters. I've got a Schecter Nick Johnston HSS as well as an Aaron Marshall AM-6. Both made in Indonesia, and both truly incredible. They are on par with guitars I have from Grosh and Tom Anderson (ones that are from the 1990s!). People still look down on Indonesian-made guitars, but the Schecters convinced me they are as good as USA-made guitars that are 3X the price.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted, but had to chime in on Schecters. I've got a Schecter Nick Johnston HSS as well as an Aaron Marshall AM-6. Both made in Indonesia, and both truly incredible. They are on par with guitars I have from Grosh and Tom Anderson (ones that are from the 1990s!). People still look down on Indonesian-made guitars, but the Schecters convinced me they are as good as USA-made guitars that are 3X the price.
That’s good to hear as I’m eyeballing the matte blue am6 rn.

sirbuh

Reaction score
Have 2 JL CYGNUS that are fantastic, neck/fret work is well above expectations.

Thesius

Reaction score
Schecter makes great guitars at all price ranges. Their MIJ ones are awesome and fairly priced

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't seen any schecters in psychical stores in my country, but I've compared different demos of few different schecters with demos of guitars I've played irl and judging only by the sound, schecters sounded similar or a bit worse
I'd be cautious using someone else's demo online as a basis for comparison as to whether or not something is better or worse than something else. There's way too much that goes into whether or not you personally like and enjoy a guitar to trust that someone else's experience is gonna be even remotely relative to your own.

And I could make you four demos of the same guitar that sounded completely different, too. So much of the overall tone you get doesn't even come from the guitar...

Last edited:

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess they're worth it to me because once I bought my first Schecter I loved it so much I changed my other three guitars one by one until I have all Schecters now.

🤷‍♂️

Latest posts