Are there any [9 or] 10 strings for sale under $500?

• Thread starter yellow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I don't really understand the rage at this point..
So basically what you are saying is..
1) I always have to use all or most of the string, otherwise I'm a douche and have 0 musicianship
2)people always play the same music, so they have to go via the route of the point I have mention in the first segment?

I believe there are many styles of music beyond metal that you can use 8 string.
Also, one can chug in the music you share, but might be using the higher ones somewhere else.
In addition to that, there things called LEAD playing and RYTHM playing, and it depends on what role you are doing (and you can always do the opposite, even if you don't see that or even know that)
Not every person is a tapping or shredding god
Not every person is so good at doing all the melodic stuff in the song, but it does not mean that you can't have a multi string guitar.
And not every person must have a shitty guitar, doesn't matter if he's a starter or a pro, a little faggy djent kid or an Afro wearing white hipster.

And the last, but not least, there aren't always great deals, for example, on 30" scale 6 string guitars, but there are plenty of 8 or 9 string ones. I assume not everyone are willing to pay extra for less.

And most importantly, your opinion is overall subjective.

This makes your post bad. And you should feel bad too.
And when you are going to make a new letter for santa, stating that you've been good this year.. He'll die.. from laughter.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers :shred:

Never said any of that, nor was I raging about it. I was saying that for some people it isn't effective buying an extended range guitar. Before buying one you should really think "do I need it or can I just down tune to suit my needs." No need to be an asshat about it. A lot of people think they need an 8 string to get that low tuning, a baritone guitar will give the same thing. It was a suggestion for consideration.

edit: maybe my post came off as a bit rageful, I dunno. Either way, I didn't mean it. Baritone guitars often get overlooked and I was agreeing with someone about them as a plausible alternative.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
Never said any of that, nor was I raging about it. I was saying that for some people it isn't effective buying an extended range guitar. Before buying one you should really think "do I need it or can I just down tune to suit my needs." No need to be an asshat about it. A lot of people think they need an 8 string to get that low tuning, a baritone guitar will give the same thing. It was a suggestion for consideration.

edit: maybe my post came off as a bit rageful, I dunno. Either way, I didn't mean it. Baritone guitars often get overlooked and I was agreeing with someone about them as a plausible alternative.

I tried to mention as many possibilities as possible why one would buy an 8 string rather than regular. And, like I said, there are way more options with 8's rather than regular baritones, and it's cheaper. So, again, like I said, not many people tend to get less for more money.

And as far as the rage thing, I didn't mean the actual 'rage', just.. well you know, the internet type of talking and negative idea posting. You get the Overall point. Calm as a sleepin' baby. Cheers :wavey:

zachyl

Reaction score
I agree for someone who just wants the low end, a baritone is an amazing and overlooked option. Often however, the baritone just ends up being a gateway guitar into buying an 8 string. I had a baritone and that just convinced me that I needed an 8 string.

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score
Funny, but I find playing an 8 string has seriously improved my left hand position and technique - I had managed to pick up lots of bad habits on a 6 that I have now been forced to unlearn. Now when I pick up a 6 it feels like a toy lol..

I use all the strings as I have always been primarily a lead guitarist who loves the low end of a bass/down tuned guitar. Don't think a baritone has ever been a serious option for me...

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, for whatever reason the first time I picked up my Schecter 8 it just felt 'right'. I've been downtuning into this territory for 15 years on a 6, but I don't think I'll ever go back to a 6.

BUT. The fretboard could be a serious deciding factor for someone on an 8. It's a plank - no way to slice it. You can either hang with it, or not.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
Yeah, for whatever reason the first time I picked up my Schecter 8 it just felt 'right'. I've been downtuning into this territory for 15 years on a 6, but I don't think I'll ever go back to a 6.

BUT. The fretboard could be a serious deciding factor for someone on an 8. It's a plank - no way to slice it. You can either hang with it, or not.

I like the plank for some reason. It makes my form better... I tried a 6 after playing my 9 for a few months and it just felt ridiculously tiny. hahaha

Arcanerain

Reaction score
I like the plank for some reason. It makes my form better... I tried a 6 after playing my 9 for a few months and it just felt ridiculously tiny. hahaha

The rounder profile of the 6's doesn't feel quite as nice as the flat back of the 8's.

russtolium

Reaction score
Another option would be to look for a doubleneck guitar/bass on the used market. You probably won't find too many under $500 but it's worth a look and technically has 10 strings! They're probably a little less rare than a 10 string guitar at least.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
Same here... I'd love to own one, but it looks incredibly cheap and I'd probably only want to spend around 350 bucks on a used one.

The only thing I'd really worry about is the wiring. I'd want the option of being able to play it stereo or mono over all the strings. This would allow you to play thru a just a guitar Amp or both a bass and guitar amp instead of it just being a bass and guitar on the same neck. The pickups look uber cheap and maybe I'd upgrade the tuners down the line for locking ones. Everything else looks solid enough on her tho.