Are tom mounts generic/standard?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
As a person who started on other instruments and transitioned to drums, there's a lot about the hardware that I just don't know. So, drummers of the forum: Is the hardware for mounting toms generally standard?

I ask because I think one of the brackets holding up one of my toms is failing, and the original part looks like it's not made anymore. The arm basically attaches via a ball, and it just doesn't stay securely in place. It drifts downwards no matter how tightly I clamp the thing on.

I can find replacements for them online for something like $50 - $70. That's not the end of the world, but it's got me wondering if I could go into any store, get a generic part and have it work just as well without waiting for it, without the risk of the ball thingie being just as unreliable. Or maybe I could get one of those double-mount stands and try one of those setups where the two toms are mounted over the left of the kit and put the ride where the second tom would have been or something.

The trick being that these are mounted via the "star-cast" setup that hangs the tom from the hoops. It sooooooort of looks like you could just hook any generic arm onto that, but I can't really tell.

Why are my options here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Although the more I look into it.... the alternative options all seem to be in, or above, the same price range, so maybe there's not much point.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
The starcast is proprietary to Tama, the die-cast hoop on the batter side have additional holes to accommodate it. The pre-2014 Superstar starcast-hyperdrive model (the one you have on your drums now) is still in production. Given the name, one would believe you need the hyperdrive-specific model, but the spec sheet suggests otherwise. I think the nickel plating on the hyperdrive and the existence of an additional 16 inch version on the regular superstar model is the only real difference, but spacing between the mounting holes could be the x-factor. https://www.tama.com/world/support/parts/drum/star_cast/

The Starcast use generic L-rods to mount to a stand or a rack, most will fit. But even in L-rods there are different thicknesses at work. Pearl and Yamaha have mounts where the tom mounts horizontally to a rod, unlike most other companies, so buying stands, clamps etc from them is often problematic unless you add/remove parts.

Whether a tom accepts a suspension mount or not comes down to a multitude of variables, but the unorthodox depths of your toms makes it harder to find something that fits. For example, the regular optimount from Pearl doesn't go down to depths of 6,5 inches, but the aluminium optimount does (6,5 is the literal limit).

Also, the long lugs prevents fixing anything at any point apart from the tension rod between the lug end and the hoop. Mounting via clamped mounts to the hoop itself is also an option, but not a good one.

Buying a double tom stand is always an option, pretty straight forward. Just make sure the stand have L-rods and are the right thickness. Personally, I'm a rack guy.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In my experience, cheap hardware won't last as long, but generally starts out working. Obviously, there are Pearl-style tom mounts with the big tube and swivel that won't work with the Ludwig-style rod and universal ball joint. Beyond that, though, I can usually get things to fit, but it's not always perfect, and the less perfect fits generally don't hold up as well over time.

The rods for Tama, I think, are 10.5 mm diameter. A lot of other brands use 9 or 9.5. Generally, that's close enough to fasten, but not ideal. But I've seen as big as 12.5 mm too.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
The Tama rods are indeed 10.5mm (except the cowbell-version), most of the big companies have a 10.5mm thick version of the L-rod in their catalog.

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Aaah cool, thanks.

It's also very possible that the actual problem is just the parts being difficult to manipulate/tighten - the kit is unfortunately almost an hour drive away so I can't easily just try it, but I plan on trying to remember to bring tools with me to just manually tighten the bajeezus out of it. If that works, then hey, great, it works. If it keeps drifting/sagging like it does (current the second tom rests against the hoop of the bass drum because it won't hold itself up), I think the right thing to do is just order that piece.

micheal2MM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ebony, I don't know if you've tried it or not, but here is one great audio streaming service I found ( https://traktrain.com/ ), which offers pretty nice options for free audio listening of separate tracks or audio streams as well. It looks like they have pretty nice database, which updates every day.