Are you ready? Ibanez RG7321 OVERHAUL!! picssssss

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Does that mean different spots on the back of the volume pot? Or am I missing something?

*edit* NEVERMIND!

Got it strung up, no more hum, sounds wicked. This is a whole new instrument. Still got the stock pickup but I swear it sounds better. Maybe its because it's just pickup -> volume -> output. Might replace the pickup later, but all in all I am very happy for just two days work!!

DONE

pics

3681838049_3870504d8e_o.jpg

3681838111_39cc3ef4fc_o.jpg

3681838187_1a9903b843_o.jpg

That's some badass looking basswood :eek:
Really nice!!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Trim your strings, man!! ;)

^ all the grounds going to the same point is a bad thing? :ugh:

i'm guessing this is the significance of the ground loop???

I didn't explain myself well, and upon further review I think I was wrong anyway. ;)

What I didn't explain well was that of course, there are 2 points to any wire, right? While you want things grounded to a single point (like the back of a volume pot) I was referencing more the other end of said wires. Like, my Jackson had these little bits of metal screwed into the body in the pickup cavities. A wire was connected to those, and then to the ground point, in addition to the wire going to the bridge, etc.

Brief explanation to sum up that my previous post was basically wrong: Alexplorer's Axe Hacks: All About Grounding

to the OP -- I think the guitar looks awesome. I may do something similar to my 7420. I would do the 7321, but I already spent a fair bit of $$ on the custom pickguard/etc that I've got on it. ;)

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That looks really nice with the black edges and the black hardware. I def think you should get a sheet of venner (spalted FTW!) and put it on, then clear that. But props for the idea of black edges - that's killer!

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
At first I didn't think i was going to like the way it was going to look with the black edges but now my mind has been changed! It looks pretty sick! I like it.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Why is it hard to strip a headstock without screwing it up?

It's a thin piece of wood. Sure, it can and has to handle the tension from the strings, but the tension is differentiated throughout the neck. One little slip of the hand and the headstock could be broken or sanded down improperly. I would just advise against doing it yourself, unless if you're a highly trained luthier or something, lol.

Plus, I like the look of non-matching headstocks on some guitars. :D

ledzep4eva

Reaction score
Dude, nice job! Now buy a flamed maple laminate, cut a hole for the bridge pup and affix it to the front. Gorgeous flamed maple single-hum 7321.

DO IT.

Prostheta

Central Scrutiniser
Reaction score
Actually, using a scraper and a bit of patience to sand a headstock isn't that much work. The issue is that the headstock isn't basswood so it'll look different to the body.

Now who would make a basswood headstock? ;-D

Deadfall

Reaction score
Think it looks good just the way it is.Best I've seen IMO man.I would just put the controls and neck PU back in as dummies..ent gonna hurt nothin ;).Good job methinks.