Aristides Guitars

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • Tags
    aristides
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SymmetricScars

Reaction score
I have joined the 'tides ranks. I picked up a used 070 off Reverb and it arrived today, so I haven't had too much time with it yet. If you follow Aristides on Instagram or scour Reverb daily like I do, you've probably already seen it, but pic anyway:
a070_front.jpg

My initial thoughts and impressions, in no particular order:

Nice thin neck, pretty similar to an Ibby or my 20" radius Kiesel 7 string
The body is also extremely thin, but extremely resonant and loud acoustically, unlike any other electric I own
It's overall lighter than I expected, especially given the Evertune bridge. My evertuned Balaguer is significantly heavier (albeit it has a 30" scale length so all that extra wenge in the neck is contributing)
The action is probably the lowest of any guitar I own
It came with BKP Ragnaroks and I'm digging the sound so far, they actually are a surprisingly neutral/balanced sounding pickup to my ears
I wish the forearm contour (if it can be called such) was a little more contoured tbh, but it's a minor thing

Overall an a very sexy instrument and one I am quite happy to own. Not 100% sure the rather steep price tag is justified yet, and it would have been painful to wait out the significant build time, but I can see where the hype comes from.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, I just noticed that Aristides doesn't list the 020 on their website anymore. I guess it's discontinued. Did they officially announce that?

It didn't seem like anybody ordered that model, but I liked it!

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

What is that 8 string in the background from 1:30 on that looks like it has no pickup?

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
So, the multiscale Evertune solution is the smart solution
The saddles tech is provided by Evertune and Aristides builds the chassis
Evertune can't buy chassis for every multiscale range
I mean, if I had to get a custom 10 string I would go 32'-27' and with a High A...

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, the multiscale Evertune solution is the smart solution
The saddles tech is provided by Evertune and Aristides builds the chassis
Evertune can't buy chassis for every multiscale range
I mean, if I had to get a custom 10 string I would go 32'-27' and with a High A...
It must be the best thing ever for Evertune that Aristides invests into making this and figures out for them if there is enough demand for a multiscale version.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
They've done a few piezo only guitars on request, and that's probably the most recent.
Yeah, I saw the piezo 8 nylon at NAMM yesterday, and they said it’s the second one of those they did. I have zero use for it, but I want one! It looks so bizarre with no pickups. He said the raw version is only like $3000, which is not bad for an Aristides now.

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the piezo 8 nylon at NAMM yesterday, and they said it’s the second one of those they did. I have zero use for it, but I want one! It looks so bizarre with no pickups. He said the raw version is only like $3000, which is not bad for an Aristides now.
How do you attach nylon strings to such a bridge? They don't have ball ends.

And does it need different tuner ratios for nylon strings?

I would have never expected this to be a nylon string guitar. If there's a video of it being played, I'd love to see it.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
How do you attach nylon strings to such a bridge? They don't have ball ends.

And does it need different tuner ratios for nylon strings?

I would have never expected this to be a nylon string guitar. If there's a video of it being played, I'd love to see it.
You can get ball end nylon strings. It's a hipshot bridge, so it looks like they just put them in the way you'd do a regular string. Not sure about the tuners, but I can't imagine it would need to be hugely different.

I don't know if a video of it exists, but when I played it it felt very much like an electric. Probably because it had a fingerboard radius, normal (electric) string spacing, etc. I didn't play it plugged in, though, so I can't say how the nylon/piezo part sounded.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
Anyone know the maximum gauge the 060 models will take in the nut? Want to change mine to drop A with a set of 12-62s but I'm not keen on filing the nut at all.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Anyone know the maximum gauge the 060 models will take in the nut? Want to change mine to drop A with a set of 12-62s but I'm not keen on filing the nut at all.
I think it depends on what it shipped with. Assuming that it was a standard tuned, relatively standard tension, you're looking at the current slot being between .040 and .050. That means you most likely will need to file the nut with a .062. That being said, just dragging a string back and forth through the nut slot is often the easiest way to file it. I'm not sure what the nut slot material is, though...

kriff

Reaction score
I think it depends on what it shipped with. Assuming that it was a standard tuned, relatively standard tension, you're looking at the current slot being between .040 and .050. That means you most likely will need to file the nut with a .062. That being said, just dragging a string back and forth through the nut slot is often the easiest way to file it. I'm not sure what the nut slot material is, though...
Thanks! Aristides nuts are Graphtech TUSQ it says on the website.

kriff

Reaction score
In case anyone wants to know if it's possible - got my 060 set up with 12-62s in drop A. Sounds incredible. The low string nut needed a little filing with the string in the end but not a huge amount.

Latest posts