Art Metal (Eklundh/Hellborg/Shakti content)

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In 2007 fusion bassist Jonas Hellborg, guitarist Mattias "IA" Eklundh and Remember Shakti percussionist V. Selvanganesh recorded the self-titled Art Metal album and I've been spinning it almost constantly ever since. The album also features Jens and Anders Johannsen (bestknown as members of Yngwie Malmsteen's band) on keys and drums respectively, as well as some other guys with names I'm not even gonna try and type:lol: As you can probably guess, the album sits somewhere between fusion, metal and traditional Indian music, so lots of polyrythyms and crazy solos, as well as plenty of time signatures to beat yourself over the head with. Definitely the heaviest thing any of the members have ever done too (not that it's Napalm Death or anything).

Don't believe me? Have some clips:

YouTube - Art Metal - 01 - Muthucutpor

YouTube - Vyakhan-kar

YouTube - Art Metal - 04 - Solitude

Enjoy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Eh. I have listened to it 5 times or so but it's just too out there for me.

Also, you probably know but in case you don't: Jens was also on keys in Stratovarius for a long time and Anders has been drumming for HammerFall for some time.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
Yeah I've got this, absolutely brilliant! The Indian guy on percussion is Selvaganesh, and he played with John McLaughlin on the more recent 'Remember Shakti' concerts, and the rest of the Swedes are just incredible right throughout the album. Some of the rhythmic intricacies (sp?) in the unisons between all 5 members have to be heard to be believed, Jonas is an absolute monster with is slap-bass, Mattias is his usual freaky self, though doesn't spoil the songs by being too wierd, the Johannsen brothers are their brilliant solid selves, and Selvaganesh, what he manages to bash out of that clay pot, is just amazing. Highly recommended! :bowdown:

:D

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I love this album!

Mattias hasn't quite developed the musical rapport with Hellborg that Shawn Lane had, but give it some time and I bet he will.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
From the tracks i've heard, this is pretty good, but i much prefer the album Hellborg did with Niladri Kumar and Selvaganesh called "Kali's Son".

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Those tracks actually sounded pretty cool. I particularly liked Vyakhan-kar. :yesway: