Is this what it costs to get good at guitar?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
cant rush putting in the time :shrug:

2 years isnt long at all. If you’re sweeping now I’d be very curious to see how you’re handling fast chord changes.

Learn Jazz - then prog will come easy :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you’re sweeping now I’d be very curious to see how you’re handling fast chord changes.

Learn Jazz - then prog will come easy :yesway:
That‘s something I thought about trying and now that you say it I will. Do you have any good resources for jazz introduction lessons/courses or should I just do that with my teacher?

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
yeah I‘m not at that level yet but there‘re courses by tosin and javier on guitar messenger and those are 30€ and I think an upcoming one as well. I also have a teacher who is really good and lots of material from lessons with baxty.
Just stay with Baxty and don't overthink it
dude lives like 15 minutes from my place, he's absolutely insane in the best posible way.

I've gathered some really good info and habits from Gilardi , but there is no way I would pay more than 80 bucks for online classes/courses

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just stay with Baxty and don't overthink it
dude lives like 15 minutes from my place, he's absolutely insane in the best posible way.

I've gathered some really good info and habits from Gilardi , but there is no way I would pay more than 80 bucks for online classes/courses
I‘m with Justin Hombach for now I will surely take some more lessons from baxty at some point he really is crazy in the best possible way but it‘s just a lot easier for me as a european and also there‘s no language barrier. Some of the stuff baxty gave me was so hard I didn’t even manage to get it to the speed of the slowest jamtrack. The exercises are great though. He has those more complex patterns that really challenge you and bring you to the next level

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I just want to know how freaks like Mancuso or Max Ostro can become fucking freaks in only half a decade WHILE just making up their own playing techniques

show me where they live so I can eat them like grubs and absorb their rizz

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
When I was playing in a band that I was putting 1000% of my life into, we made friends with the singer of a semi-successful band. During a photoshoot, he came by and we talked for a bit, I asked him how they were able to get a budget for their upcoming tour and awesome looking music video without label support, without hesitating, he said "ask each one of your band members to give me $100 and I'll tell you know" from there, I knew lol.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Rick Beato. He'll just interview you on your AOR hits.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That‘s something I thought about trying and now that you say it I will. Do you have any good resources for jazz introduction lessons/courses or should I just do that with my teacher?
Find any online resources from schools (Humber college Jazz program for example).

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
Grifting you say? Well if it has one of these three list items, you sure as hell are dealing with a grifter!

1. Tell people how unique and rare this opportunity is. The grifter has decided to open up a couple of extra spots, even tho his doctor and pyschologist strongly advised him not to.

2. Tell people they're getting "$10.000 worth of info for only $1000" f.e. After 24 hours (insert shitty html countdown timer), it will return to the normal price of $10.000. The same "promotion" will pop up 2 weeks from now tho. Or the counter will reset when you refresh the page.

3. Create fictional urgency: "SLOTS ARE FILLING UP FAST!" even though they just posted it, they feel the need to put this in writing.

Last edited:

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Rick Beato. He'll just interview you on your AOR hits.
Assuming he's not taking that time of day whining about his kid over streams on account of, well, being a kid and wanting to do kid stuff on the side instead of being glued to perfect pitch and oboe practice 24/7 with nothing else to live for.
292787397_10227828824408973_3458715920418522138_n.jpg

Remember when you could just play the damn guitar and naturally progress and get better?

I feel sorry for those who see it ad some sort of competitive sport
It was a much less toxic atmosphere back then, too. Others wanted in at the time just because it was another to do while killing time, outside of skateboarding, football, or whatever else. It's part of why others regard the shredded hugs brother Emanuel as a breath of fresh air in these more recent times.

Extra sorry feels go out on account of not just the competitiveness in playing and content creating, but also the umpteenth wacko rant about buying another guitar while professing hatred for the wife Deb, as there's also competitiveness on who can max out the most credit cards, impulse buy, and burn through gear.

Last edited:

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Grifting you say? Well if it has one of these three list items, you sure as hell are dealing with a grifter!

1. Tell people how unique and rare this opportunity is. The grifter has decided to open up a couple of extra spots, even tho his doctor and pyschologist strongly advised him not to.

2. Tell people they're getting "$10.000 worth of info for only $1000" f.e. After 24 hours (insert shitty html countdown timer), it will return to the normal price of $10.000. The same "promotion" will pop up 2 weeks from now tho. Or the counter will reset when you refresh the page.

3. Create fictional urgency: "SLOTS ARE FILLING UP FAST!" even though they just posted it, they feel the need to put this in writing.
that‘s surprisingly accurate😂

gnoll

Reaction score
How good you get at guitar depends on you, not your teacher.

gnoll

Reaction score
True. However a good teacher can help you to correct mistakes, bad habits, etc and therefore reach your goals faster

Yes, absolutely. But I think it's important that we take responsibility for our own progress. If we have a goal, we need to find the way to get there ourselves. A teacher can be a useful tool on that journey, but it's not someone that can carry us there while we relax.

I think if people pay huge amounts of money for a teacher, there's a risk that they think that just because they paid so much money, that the teacher will magically just "make them good". And that's not how it works.

But it sounds like you have a pretty good mindset. It's all about desire, effort and time really.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. But I think it's important that we take responsibility for our own progress. If we have a goal, we need to find the way to get there ourselves. A teacher can be a useful tool on that journey, but it's not someone that can carry us there while we relax.

I think if people pay huge amounts of money for a teacher, there's a risk that they think that just because they paid so much money, that the teacher will magically just "make them good". And that's not how it works.

But it sounds like you have a pretty good mindset. It's all about desire, effort and time really.
Yeah good point. I know that I‘ll have to spend lots of hours in my basement with my guitar just practicing. I know that even with the best teacher i won‘t reach my goals if I practice for 10mins 3x a week.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
he has 100% taken a sales course. These are the types of questions you take away from those "how to close more sales" courses, where by you learn how not to listen to customers but "logic" them into purchasing. Real greaseball shit.
probably paid 3k a month too