As I Lay Dying are back with the classic lineup

• Thread starter BusinessMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Just thought I'd check the view count and likes on YouTube for giggles. Seems like an awful lot of people actually don't care about what happened.

AILD.PNG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've bought every previous AILD album and the first ADM album, I thought Wovenwar sucked, I'm not totally opposed to redemption for Tim (although I still think he's a massive piece of shit, unrelated to being an ex-con), and I still think the song fuckin blew. The lyrics are so hamfisted and corny, and the instrumentation itself would've barely cut it as a b-side on a previous album. I have literally no idea why anybody's getting excited about from this musically.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Well, thing is, people have different opinions. I don't find a million random notes with an overly tight mid range tinged guitar sound to be all that appealing, yet that's what this site mostly celebrates. Just because you don't find the appeal in it doesn't mean that that's how everyone feels.

Dredg

Insignificant
Reaction score
Yea Tim is a shitbag human for trying to have his then-wife killed, but its clear that he is atoning for his sins through word and deed. In his open letter, he made note that he had penned and released his apologies after being completely severed from the legal system, which to his credit does mean that there is no ulterior motive - this won't earn him brownie points with the courts, or a parole board or any other legal entity. The guy acknowledges that he basically threw his entire life away and acted alone and of his own will.

Do people change? Can people be rehabilitated? Yes and Yes. Is he still a shitbag? I don't know. Does he "deserve" to be back making music in AILD? probably not, but that isn't up to us; that is up to the other members of the band - they have to work with him, they have to stake their reputation on him, and this obviously wasn't some spontaneous, half-baked decision.

If y'all don't want to give your money to AILD, there's no shame in that. Such justification is much more valid than standard reasons for not wanting to support a band, but this is a bit overly dramatic, is it not? There wasn't any drama that I recall when Faust rejoined Emperor a few years back, and that dude straight up murdered a dude, and he's still a career musician to this day. GG Allin is hailed as iconic, and he was one of the craziest bastards to ever pick up an instrument.

And I hope MetalSucks continues their crusade by releasing statements on Varg, Faust, Gaahl, and other metal musicians (along with any and all associated acts) as to why they will refuse to cover people who either commit or conspire to commit acts of violence.

Edika

Reaction score
ITT: people who are way too easily offended, armchair amateur psychologists, and people who can read minds

I like these type of statements, more or less nulifies any type of discussion about any topic ever. And true I get easily offended by people trying to hire assasins and that sets off my inner amateur psychologist when that person tries to walk back into my wallet playing the half assed emotional card.

Do you feel it's over discussed and get triggered by this thread? Then stop being offended and don't bother reading this thread and commenting. See it works both ways.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Someone like Jon Nödtveidt actually was an accessory to a murder, and both him and his band are considered absolute legends. I'm not comparing AILD to Dissection, but people have supported much worse.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, thing is, people have different opinions. I don't find a million random notes with an overly tight mid range tinged guitar sound to be all that appealing, yet that's what this site mostly celebrates. Just because you don't find the appeal in it doesn't mean that that's how everyone feels.

That's fine, I just haven't heard that appeal quantified to any great extent. The things I've liked about AILD has always been riffs, the way the vocals play off the instruments rhythmically and the way the clean vocals punctuate the song. This song has no memorable riffs, Tim's vocals just sound like a growly blanket over the verses and the clean vocals are well delivered but corny as fuck.

My point was that it's seemed like, 90/10 'I like this' 'I don't like this' based on the Tim Lambesis saga moreso than the quality of the song itself. I'm sure you're earnest when you say you like the song but without most people pointing to specifically WHAT they like about the song, it sounds more like "I wholeheartedly endorse anything that pwns snowflakes" enjoyment than it actually being an objectively good song.

EDIT: Also, the guitars in this song absolutely sound like "a million random notes"

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I like these type of statements, more or less nulifies any type of discussion about any topic ever. And true I get easily offended by people trying to hire assasins and that sets off my inner amateur psychologist when that person tries to walk back into my wallet playing the half assed emotional card.

Do you feel it's over discussed and get triggered by this thread? Then stop being offended and don't bother reading this thread and commenting. See it works both ways.

I'm more referring to the amateur psychologists who can read Tim's mind, know that his apologies aren't genuine, know that he isn't actually remorseful or changed etc. Yet the professionals in the judicial system and the people he works with closest of all have all chosen to forgive him.

I'm totally fine with discussing the music, and the thread title and original post simply states that they are back together and have released a new song. However, much of the speculation here about Tim's motivations is borderline conspiracy theory. And as I said, if the music is good then I'll listen, and if not, then I won't. I wasn't telling anybody not to post.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm more referring to the amateur psychologists who can read Tim's mind, know that his apologies aren't genuine, know that he isn't actually remorseful or changed etc.

I don't need to read anybody's mind

The first we heard of Tim potentially reuniting with the band was in December when he released a statement apologizing for everything unequivocally, and saying he waited as long as he did because he wanted to make sure it wasn't done at time that'd imply he was trying to gain any favor, yet the statement was released through the official AILD Facebook page at the same time they announced they were re-releasing two of their albums on LP. Mighty convenient timing to send the message "Hey, Tim's learned his lesson, it's safe to not hate us now. Oh yeah, and we've got two new vinyls coming out"

The first single is clearly a reference to the whole saga and once again, it has the theme of "I'm sorry for everything I've done and I did this to myself" but guess what? His apology song is making them $$$. Mind you, this is coming from the same guy who admitted faking being a Christian band to drive sales. You don't need to be a psychologist to see a recurring theme here.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Yet the professionals in the judicial system and the people he works with closest of all have all chosen to forgive him.
Wut?
You know that’s not how it works, right? The legal system isn’t “five years of Hail Mary and you’re forgiven.” It’s a punitive sentence and it’s meant to be a permanent mark, which it most definitely is. Prisons don’t give a shit about reform, but they’re overcrowded and more than willing to be much more lenient on semi-notorious white dudes with some money. That’s a LONG shot from forgiveness.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean, FWIW, I don't take shit like that into my considerations when it comes to music I'll listen to. I listened to some Burzum after I knew what Varg did and I've listened to some Lostprophets even after Ian Watkins went away. I might've even stated on this site (I know I have on others) that I'd listen to whatever Tim put out after he got outta jail as long as it was "good".

That doesn't mean I'm necessarily willing to give them my money, but that's a different story.

None of that diminishes the ability to say the guy's a piece of shit that will say anything and do anything to help himself at the expense of others. And I gave the rest of the band some credit when they chose to distance themselves from him but in the grand scheme of things, they basically backed away long enough to not let the guy's reputation drag them down for the three years they HAD no choice but to exclude him from the band anyway. As soon as he's done with his parole (which would have effected his ability to tour), magically all is forgiven and he's learned his lesson and 'Kumbaya' it is.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
That's fine, I just haven't heard that appeal quantified to any great extent. The things I've liked about AILD has always been riffs, the way the vocals play off the instruments rhythmically and the way the clean vocals punctuate the song. This song has no memorable riffs, Tim's vocals just sound like a growly blanket over the verses and the clean vocals are well delivered but corny as fuck.

My point was that it's seemed like, 90/10 'I like this' 'I don't like this' based on the Tim Lambesis saga moreso than the quality of the song itself. I'm sure you're earnest when you say you like the song but without most people pointing to specifically WHAT they like about the song, it sounds more like "I wholeheartedly endorse anything that pwns snowflakes" enjoyment than it actually being an objectively good song.

EDIT: Also, the guitars in this song absolutely sound like "a million random notes"

Not compared to most of the djent movement, it doesn't. As far as the song itself, I've always liked As I Lay Dying and I've got a bit of a soft spot for metalcore anyways. Yeah, unpopular opinion there, I know. I personally loved the song.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I've bought every previous AILD album and the first ADM album, I thought Wovenwar sucked, I'm not totally opposed to redemption for Tim (although I still think he's a massive piece of shit, unrelated to being an ex-con), and I still think the song fuckin blew. The lyrics are so hamfisted and corny, and the instrumentation itself would've barely cut it as a b-side on a previous album. I have literally no idea why anybody's getting excited about from this musically.
I've just always been a fan of the way Hipa and Sgrosso play, even with Wovenwar, so I like the guitar work, even though it does sound like an Awakened B-side. I wouldn't be too thrilled if this was the best they all had to offer with the new material though.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Someone should hire a hitman to deal with whoever wrote that song, ammiright?
#TooSoonMaybe

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Then you're looking in the wrong places :coffee:

I hope so - it's been out since forever, while he was still alive, yet for decades I saw all the praise (along with pretty exaggerated fanboism, like any other star), but no matter how one likes an artist, this "god among men" kind of vision is just out of place for me personally.

Beefmuffin

New Boot Goofin
Reaction score
"Today marks the first opportunity to freely apologize without any motivation to gain favor from the courts, as I have now completed the entirety of my legal sentence (including the completion of all parole/probation requirements)."

I love that people are using this as "proof" of how sorry he is and that he doesn't have a hidden agenda behind this apology. You know that if he was actually apologizing for a real reason, like to his family/fans/friends, that he wouldn't have said this right? He would have just apologized and not mentioned anything about the timeliness of it. This is a sign of someone who plans and has a hidden agenda. When I apologize to someone, I don't then explain to them why they should take that apology seriously and why my timing should prove that I am serious about it. Everything he does, as history shows, has been done with a calculated purpose. Claiming to be Christian for sales. Then after getting caught he had an interview explaining his side and trying to prove to the world his wife was the monster, not him (please google some of his earlier interviews). Then he tried to sue the prison...for MILLIONS for something he did to himself. Then after he finally gets out, has a couple songs written and recorded, he promptly releases his public apology, highlighting why his timing means his apology is real...and then shamelessly promotes the songs. I just find that a bit odd, and I certainly wouldn't be using it in favor of my "he deserves another chance" argument.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Reaction score
"Today marks the first opportunity to freely apologize without any motivation to gain favor from the courts, as I have now completed the entirety of my legal sentence (including the completion of all parole/probation requirements)."

I love that people are using this as "proof" of how sorry he is and that he doesn't have a hidden agenda behind this apology. You know that if he was actually apologizing for a real reason, like to his family/fans/friends, that he wouldn't have said this right? He would have just apologized and not mentioned anything about the timeliness of it. This is a sign of someone who plans and has a hidden agenda. When I apologize to someone, I don't then explain to them why they should take that apology seriously and why my timing should prove that I am serious about it. Everything he does, as history shows, has been done with a calculated purpose. Claiming to be Christian for sales. Then after getting caught he had an interview explaining his side and trying to prove to the world his wife was the monster, not him (please google some of his earlier interviews). Then he tried to sue the prison...for MILLIONS for something he did to himself. Then after he finally gets out, has a couple songs written and recorded, he promptly releases his public apology, highlighting why his timing means his apology is real...and then shamelessly promotes the songs. I just find that a bit odd, and I certainly wouldn't be using it in favor of my "he deserves another chance" argument.

I guess that's subjective. To me, explaining he is completely done with his sentence speaks to me that he wants to be understood as being honest, rather than trying to curry the favour of the courts. It's a catch 22 - if he didn't explain, it'd appear dishonest. When he does, it still appears dishonest. That's the problem of outsider perspective, you only have the word of others and your own assumptions to go off.

In your case, it seems to me that your mind has been made up, so there's not much that'll be able to convince you. I come to this conclusion about you because you say he has a hidden agenda, that everything is calculated and is ultimately dishonest, yet you believe him wholeheartedly when he says he faked his Christian views for sales. You've decided he doesn't deserve to be back in the public eye and making money from music, so you pick and choose which parts best fit your negative image of him. This is confirmation bias. I don't put you at fault for this, this is the issue of the situation entirely. None of us have an insider perspective of the situation AT ALL.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
A lot of judgemental bs in this thread. Big surprise. Anyway for the band's sake and for the music I am glad to see them back. I am hoping the new album kicks ass like their prior stuff. Wovenwar wasn't the same.