Asteroid may hit Mars!

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The Associated Press: Asteroid May Hit Mars in Next Month

I'm kinda excited that it might hit. Watching Comet Shumaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter in 96 was pretty awesome. Seeing an asteroid hit a terrestrial planet would be cool indeed.

I don't think Marvin would take well to it.

madmarvin.gif

Just for giggles here's a couple of online calculator that estimate impact damage. They're loads of fun.

Solar System Collisions

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sweet stuff, wish I had that 5ft scope I had been meaning to buy :lol:

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
well of course, tons of people would video it, but the odds are highly in the favor of nothing happening
good find eric

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
If it does happen, and I'm hoping it will, nothing Earth bound will have a snowball's chance in Hell of seeing it.

The asteroid itself is fairly small about half a football field and it's not moving very fast as least in astronomical terms. So if it does impact it will likely only leave a crater maybe a few hundred yards across. When you consider Mars is something like 78 million miles away a crater that size is damned hard to see. Fortunately there are satellites orbitting Mars that can photograph the impact.

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
Naw dude, they think it'll produce an effect similar to the one in Siberia, that thing flattened like 60 million trees with 15 megatons of force!
I wish it would happen, just so people would get a better idea of the kind of destruction asteroids could potentially cause.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Naw dude, they think it'll produce an effect similar to the one in Siberia, that thing flattened like 60 million trees with 15 megatons of force!
I wish it would happen, just so people would get a better idea of the kind of destruction asteroids could potentially cause.

Even if it does. It will still be very difficult to observe from Earth.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
An asteroid hitting Mars presents the possibility of unearthing (unmarsing?) all matter of secrets buried beneath the surface. It would be a scientific field day, and an excellent reason to get another rover or two near the crash site as soon as possible.