Attachment Size Limit

• Thread starter BlackMastodon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Since forum performance has been a hot button issue as of late, let's talk about something else that annoys me:

If I try to upload a photo I've taken from my phone they are always over the attachment size limit because my camera is set to take 4k pictures.

Can I set my camera up to only take 2k photos? Sure, but fuck that.

Can I downsize them in the Google Photos app? Fucked if I know how to; I looked up if it's possible and no luck.

Can the forum automatically downside images to make them fit the limit, or increase the limit to something more in-line with modern technology in the year of our Djod 2024?

ff0.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I always use the lightroom app to scale down pictures on my phone when I want to post them. It's kind of a hassle, but for how often I post pictures it's probably one of the easiest options. I wish the pc version of lightroom wasn't fucked now, but adobe gonna adobe.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Can the forum automatically downside images to make them fit the limit, or increase the limit to something more in-line with modern technology in the year of our Djod 2024?
This message is sponsored by "Acolytes for the Advancement of the Djodian Adjenda", and has been approved by Djod.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've gotten into the habit of "scaling" stuff by just resizing any random browser/window it's displayed in, then using the windows snipping tool to capture what I want at the size I want, then just paste into a comment to upload it. It's a bit dumb, but it works.
I guess the mobile equivalent would be to take a screenshot, crop it, then upload it.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
One thing I've done, I download pictures that I've already uploaded to FB. Original file on my phone is like 5mb to 10mb each, but downloading it from FB scales it down to 1mb or under and able to upload to SSO. But of a hassle, but it works.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
If I take a screenshot on my phone, if I don't want to crop it, I open it in the photo viewer ap, turn my phone sideways so it displays it in the "wrong" orientation, then screenshot it again and crop off the side bars...that *usually* works...but not always.

Aewrik

Reaction score
You can upload to imgur or another website and just link it, too.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I upload to an image hosting site then link - this process takes 0 time as all of these websites let you drag and drop directly from your files to their website. This forum can barely handle loading third party images, why would you want to try making it load from its own database? I hate when people load images here because I know I'm going to have to wait like 20 seconds for each picture to load when I click on them

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

I upload to an image hosting site then link - this process takes 0 time as all of these websites let you drag and drop directly from your files to their website. This forum can barely handle loading third party images, why would you want to try making it load from its own database? I hate when people load images here because I know I'm going to have to wait like 20 seconds for each picture to load when I click on them
I gotta shed my boomer-ness and try imgur on my phone. It wasn't super intuitive to me on my laptop and I was used to using photobucket back in the day but they're dog shit now.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Imgur specifically: wrong. They block linking from any site that has a classifieds section. You haven't been able to post images to SSO from Imgur for a number of years.

Plus, one would hope we've learned our lesson from Photobucket that any generic image hosting site that purports to provide a free hosting service will eventually turn around and try to monetize it, using the fact that its users are dependent on their ecosystem to try and extort fees. That's why, even though it's not the most convenient option, I always embed images directly into posts now, even if it means dusting off Photoshop and resizing it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned. I can tell you though that SSO was being blocked by Imgur for several years, and I don't trust the fact that it currently works to be permanent, but for the moment I do indeed stand corrected.

I had the same thought in another thread, like, it went from being allowed > not allowed > and now I guess back to being allowed for whatever reason? Fuckin' Drew