Attention all tone freaks (pickup forum)

DimitriAA

Reaction score
So I have a Schecter 8 string with Seymour-Duncan Blackouts in the neck & bridge.

I liked them at first because they're very punchy and the mid range is pretty solid, but as I continue to use them I realize there are some limitations to their dynamics, so I'm leaning towards passive pickups. I really like the sound of the crunch lab/luqifier combo from dimarzio but sadly they only make those for 7 strings. I'd go bareknuckle, but I'm looking for something I can buy without having to take out a mortgage on my house.

Looking for tightness, clarity, and most importantly note definition.

What are your suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobbYoung

Psalm Mutes End Wars
Reaction score
Nazgul/Sentient if Seymour Duncan is your thing. They also come in covered 8 string versions I believe, so no big empty holes due to the active soapbars!

Zado

Reaction score
Try an experiment for the sake of us all. Get some Schecter Apocalypse pickups and tell us all how they sound,cause me and some friends have quite some hype about them :fawk: based on nothing though,since there are very few and quite bad clips of them on youtube and soundcloud,but those I know who have tried them have spoke quite enthusiastically

[12:50]

of course they are made for 8 too

Michael_Ten

blergh yas
Reaction score
+1 on the Sentient/Nazgul pickups. I've got a Schecter 8 string, as well, with those pickups in there, they are perfectly voiced for 8 strings.

Absolutely would NOT use them for a 6 string guitar, or anything tuned C or higher.

DimitriAA

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/GXfhGUnv_mo This was the best demo I could find for those Schecter pickups you mentioned @Zado, but to be completely honest I wasn't too impressed by them. Maybe because of the amp settings or something, but it sounded a tad overbearing. I was looking at those sentient/Nazgul combos and they sound really good, I was strongly considering those, but wanted to see what else was available, however I'm beginning to believe it's my best bet. Thanks for the help so far guys.