Attenuator / Similar Device that...

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has an output for headphones.

Can run through a cab at the reduced power.

Needs to be able to work with 8 ohms.

Is able to be used completely standalone, meaning that I want to plug and play WITHOUT a computer.

If it has IR's and an input to a interface are an unnecessary bonus,as I have a suhr RLIR.

BEFORE people question my uses, this is for a couple of my NMV amps, Bassman, 1978x, etc. Will I use it with another amp? Yeah maybe, but the purpose is for my NMV amps. This is a home studio / shop environment that I have.

USED. BUDGET $250-350 IF NEEDED.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Captor X. Can probably find one at the top of your range.

Not a bad idea.

I want something totally standalone though.

I have been looking at the Weber stuff and like what I see in general. Also one thing about the weber is that it can handle 4 ohms, 8 ohms, and 16Ohms which is really convenient for my use.

How good is the sound quality out of the headphone out on the weber?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Good. You have to adjust it to taste and the qualities of the amp, but the level of adjustability makes finding the sweet spot pretty easy.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Captor can be used without a computer. Not sure what isn't standalone about it?

I think I was mixing up the Two Notes products. I will have another look at what two notes has to offer that fits the needs.

A question that I had was that does two notes offer something in the budget that works with 4, 8, & 16 ohms. Because as dumb as thast sounds, it's a big deal, and the weber does work with the different impedances.

Also I want to be able to use the speakers in the cab and not necessarily monitors.

This isn't really going to be for recording purposes just comfort with NMV amps

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I think I was mixing up the Two Notes products. I will have another look at what two notes has to offer that fits the needs.

A question that I had was that does two notes offer something in the budget that works with 4, 8, & 16 ohms. Because as dumb as thast sounds, it's a big deal, and the weber does work with the different impedances.

Also I want to be able to use the speakers in the cab and not necessarily monitors.

I don't have the X so I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do have the original Captor 8 and, as long as you're using the attenuated output, you can use it into any ohm cab, however, it will slightly affect the level of attenuation (ie: I use mine through a 16ohm cab and it supposedly attenuates ~15dB instead of 20dB). If you want to use the pass-through with no attenuation, then you must match whatever the ohm output is. If the X works similarly (which I assume it does), I don't think the change in attenuation level would be an issue, as it has more attenuation levels than the 8 does, so it should be easily compensated.

laxu

Reaction score

Your OP was very confusing in this regard as I also expected that you were asking for something like the Captor X. The Captor X is mostly focused on the direct recording part and just has a simple two step attenuator to go with it, which will most likely give you options that are either too loud or too quiet.

Your budget is the real issue here as finding a good reactive loadbox in that price range is going to be difficult.

Since you have a Suhr RL, you could try this:

If you own a solid-state amp of some sort with a fx return, run this signal chain: tube amp -> Suhr RL -> solid-state amp fx return -> guitar cab. The solid-state amp in this case is so that you don't end up with a double impedance curve effect which hypes the highs and lows. This would be basically kind of like a DIY Fryette Power Station which would give you continuous control over the volume while the Suhr RL handles the reactive part of the equation.

Otherwise your money would be best spent on something like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage or Orange Pedal Baby for this same setup. That's within your budget and would give you a pretty versatile setup. You could even put time based effects between Suhr RL line out and the Powerstage.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a Two Notes Captor 8 for $155+shipping . Does everything I need that the Suhr doesn't do.

Thanks guys.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I absolutely adored my captor X, then realized how I was using it I was actually better off with a modeler. Now I use a helix, but the tones from my Mesa and Captor X were pretty unreal in the room. Very happy with that product.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I bought a Two Notes Captor 8 for $155+shipping . Does everything I need that the Suhr doesn't do.

Thanks guys.
Love mine. I thought the -20dB might be too much, but it's honestly perfect and you can tailor that reduced volume slightly by using a 16 ohm cab, instead.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love mine. I thought the -20dB might be too much, but it's honestly perfect and you can tailor that reduced volume slightly by using a 16 ohm cab, instead.

I just fired it up with the Bassman and absolutely love it. The 20dB is a lot but it's 100% workable. I threw a fuzz out front, jumped the channels and it sings beautifully and at a reasonable volume.

Thanks for the help guys!

Elric

Reaction score
Not a bad idea.

I want something totally standalone though.

I have been looking at the Weber stuff and like what I see in general. Also one thing about the weber is that it can handle 4 ohms, 8 ohms, and 16Ohms which is really convenient for my use.

The Caprtor X is standalone. Computer is completely optional. Have one… Highly recommended.