Avant-garde music appreciation

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
Yeah, just as the title suggests, it's about any avant-garde related stuffs here... For myself, I do love a lot of avant-garde music and songs...

I'll start out with~~

and...

Please share any opinions, critics and experience about this type of music...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trypios

Reaction score
Riiight...
On one hand there's Pierre Boulez and Edgard Varese with pieces like Poem electronique....with everything neat and organized with a concept behind it and on the other hand there's these clowns.
I only liked the drummer a little bit, however they can't even reach hit points together.

Blunt comment but I believe Iannis Xenakis is laughing from above

Dragonfly

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: NOW WHAT'S AVANT-GARDE AND WHAT NOT IS DISCUSSED IN EVERY YOUTUBE VIDEO OF EVERY 'AVANT-GARDE' BAND OUT THERE, BELOW IS A POST OF ME WITH SOME BANDS I THINK BELONG TO THE AVANT-GARDE 'GENRE' - IF YOU DON'T AGREE, THEN OK, BUT DON'T START FLAMING HERE ABOUT HOW BAND X IS NOT GENRE Y. THANK YOU!

Ok, I LOVE this kind of music, so let me post some vid's that I haven't seen in this topic yet: (Please listen to all the vids I posted to get a good opinion on the band - though I did pick out the ones I love,, which is the ones with some energy, do expect all these bands to have some more soft songs!)

UneXpecT, fucking sick stuff! Really!

Atrox, I LOVE the Orgasm and Contentum album, those have a female singer who sounds like a crazy witch! - Just listen this whole song and you'll know what I mean.

Diablo Swing Orchestra, all sorts of stuff bunched together with some metal on top. Lovely!

Age of Silence, cool stuff.

Pin-up went Down, crazy stuff - check the first vid, the jazzy parts and disco stuff is amazingly fun ^_^

Stolen Babies - awesome!

Rolo Tomassi - I really love turbulence after this ^^

PsyOpus - just plain weird:

Winds - well, winds:

IWRESTLEDABREAONCE - well, it's more then just brutals with jazzy riffs, I call it avant-garde too - check out the second video for their 'enter sandman' ^^

Gargoyle - don't really listen this stuff, but have fun:

These guys say they're avant-garde:

Other bands I like (in the more progressive stuff - but I noticed that progressive was also along the tags of this topic) are bands like Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me.
Oh, and for some old-school progressive stuff check out Camel and Focus.

Check out this site and this youtube channel if you like Avant-Garde like music:
Avantgarde-Metal.com
YouTube - avantsound's Channel

Have fun, I expect lot's of rep for this :lol:

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
Riiight...
On one hand there's Pierre Boulez and Edgard Varese with pieces like Poem electronique....with everything neat and organized with a concept behind it and on the other hand there's these clowns.
I only liked the drummer a little bit, however they can't even reach hit points together.

Blunt comment but I believe Iannis Xenakis is laughing from above

Huh... If you are able to accept zeuhl + free jazz + japanese avant-garde, then I think you might love them...

Anyway, a there's a mathcore band that's quite similar to this kind of "attack randomly guitar riffs"...

PsyOpus is suprisingly labeled as avant-garde metal band in Wiki... :lol:

Dragonfly

Reaction score
OHH!! I found a lot more in my bookmarks - I don't know most of them, so I'm not saying anything about them, just posting them here:

Sleepytime is fun, Dog Fashion Disco is fun, Circus of Dead Squirrels if fun too :)

Like I said, I haven't even listened to them myself, just found them in my bookmarks! Have fun with them! :wavey:

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Some good mentions in this thread. Personal favorites of mine.

If you didn't already realize, yeah, that's my avatar. This album is phenomenal.

the songwriter's main band before Kayo Dot.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Some good mentions in this thread. Personal favorites of mine.

e2UwIMUYeIU

If you didn't already realize, yeah, that's my avatar. This album is phenomenal.

ULkLhotzW0A

the songwriter's main band before Kayo Dot.

Dude, thank you!! I was looking for Maudlin of the Well for a LONG time!! But I couldn't remember the name!
The other band you listed is sweet too, I'll have a closer look! ;)

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
I'll have to check out some of these videos when I'm off work. I see Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Unexpect (a couple of my favorite bands at the moment) have already been mentioned. Any Fantomas fans here?

Or if you want to go old-school, how about John Cage? I think one of the most amazing musical experiences I had was seeing a performance at the Vancouver New Music Festival a few years back of Atlas Eclipticalis, which Cage composed by superimposing musical staves over star maps. The venue was a large room with tables set up everywhere and the musicians were scattered throughout the whole room, creating a crazy 360 degree audio experience. I remember being quite suprised that after taking my seat a bassoon player sat down in the seat right next to mine. They even encouraged the audience to quietly walk around to different tables throughout the performance to hear the piece from different perspectives.

Anyway, I love avant-garde, hence my user name. Cool thread so far. :hbang:

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
I'll have to check out some of these videos when I'm off work. I see Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Unexpect (a couple of my favorite bands at the moment) have already been mentioned. Any Fantomas fans here?

Or if you want to go old-school, how about John Cage? I think one of the most amazing musical experiences I had was seeing a performance at the Vancouver New Music Festival a few years back of Atlas Eclipticalis, which Cage composed by superimposing musical staves over star maps. The venue was a large room with tables set up everywhere and the musicians were scattered throughout the whole room, creating a crazy 360 degree audio experience. I remember being quite suprised that after taking my seat a bassoon player sat down in the seat right next to mine. They even encouraged the audience to quietly walk around to different tables throughout the performance to hear the piece from different perspectives.

Anyway, I love avant-garde, hence my user name. Cool thread so far. :hbang:

Fantomas?? Yeah! They're definitely one of the best AGM bands out there...

About John Cage, I still need some time to find out his songs... :ugh:

About the cool thread thing... Thanks!! :agreed:

Maybe you'll wanna check out Frank Zappa too!!