Avant-Garde Prog

DXL

Reaction score
Let this thread be dedicated to finding the most avant-garde band out there. I want to hear the most complex riffs and the strangest time signatures, I'll start it off with a couple of my contributions, but I want to see them beaten:

genres expected to be found in this thread:
progressive rock/metal
avant-garde rock/metal
math rock/mathcore
progressive/technical death metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
BTBAM and Periphery... "Avante Garde"?

okigiveup.gif

Agreed on this one. Don't know the other bands you mentioned.

I'd also have to add Diablo Swing Orchestra, and Polka Dot Cadaver. Not prog, but also John Zorn and Peccatum come to mind.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
I really get tired of seeing unexpect and DSO being posted anytime someone mentions the words avant garde in a thread. Fair enough they are popular and I dislike them both so I'm a little biased, but there are a lot of other bands out there who are just as interesting.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Thought Industry were well weird.

Peste Noir are far more out there than DSO...oh, thought you meant Deathspell Omega, not Diablo Swing Orchestra...

Anything Zorn is involved with is going to be odd!

Reaction score
OP...there is nothing avante garde about periphery or BtBaM...thats like posting a threat asking for black metal but me linking you to Shania Twains greatest hits.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I really get tired of seeing unexpect and DSO being posted anytime someone mentions the words avant garde in a thread. Fair enough they are popular and I dislike them both so I'm a little biased, but there are a lot of other bands out there who are just as interesting.
But they fit the profile so of course they are going to be posted.

I'd suggest Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.