Awesome way to direct mount humbuckers without drilling out the threaded mounting holes

• Thread starter nightsprinter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I came upon this last year when trying to figure out how to direct mount humbuckers in such a way that I don't need to bore out the mounting holes on them- so if I lose interest in a particular set, I can resell them undamaged so prospective buyers can mount them with rings if they choose to.

Here's the link- https://www.projectguitar.com/tutor...le-pickup-mounting-with-threaded-inserts-r77/

I followed the directions step by step and even bought identical hardware from Mcmaster-Carr and I won't direct mount buckers any other way again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Idk how effective the are for all pickups, but I like to use pickup mounting ring screws as well. The threads are just as big as baseplate threads, but a good bit of the actual screw is unthreaded so they just float in the screwhole. And if the screw holes are too wide in the body, just use some toothpicks to add some bite.

The only drawback is they're not the longest screws, so if you have to set the pickups very high, they may not reach.

71cR3jljaaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
I came upon this last year when trying to figure out how to direct mount humbuckers in such a way that I don't need to bore out the mounting holes on them- so if I lose interest in a particular set, I can resell them undamaged so prospective buyers can mount them with rings if they choose to.

Here's the link- https://www.projectguitar.com/tutor...le-pickup-mounting-with-threaded-inserts-r77/

I followed the directions step by step and even bought identical hardware from Mcmaster-Carr and I won't direct mount buckers any other way again.
My Schecters came with those stock. They are so nice compared to screws into wood.

I have considered installing them into other guitars, but just havent yet.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
That is a great mod idea and pretty cheap and easy to do. Also McMaster Carr frickin rocks for finding all kinds of stuff like that.

Shipping can be a little pricey since it's usually small shit being ordered (at least by me) but one time I ordered at like 4:30pm, selected the standard shipping, and it said it would be here the very next day and sure as hell.... 11:30am it showed up. Faster than Amazon Prime (in my hood at least).

spudmunkey

Reaction score
There's also Fastenal, who I believe has locations in every state (for sure AK, HI and RI, so it's gotta be every state, right?). Like McM-C, their shipping prices are also harsh for small orders. Four 53 cent threaded inserts would have been $13+ for shipping. Their shipping is also usually slower than McM-C.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's also Fastenal, who I believe has locations in every state (for sure AK, HI and RI, so it's gotta be every state, right?). Like McM-C, their shipping prices are also harsh for small orders. Four 53 cent threaded inserts would have been $13+ for shipping. Their shipping is also usually slower than McM-C.
I thought Fastenal was generally more expensive too, but I could be mistaken. And yeah shipping from either of them does kind of blow of you only need a few small somethings. But they have all the small somethings!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I thought Fastenal was generally more expensive too, but I could be mistaken.
I've never cross-shopped, so maybe, but when I only needed, say, $2 of something, and I have a location near me, while McM-C is $1.50 but I have to pay $13 to ship it...

Though looking at fastenal's website, it seems like every location is listed as "fulfillment center, by appointment". I admit I haven't been to one since before COVID, so maybe they've changed how they operate since. 🤔

gclef

Reaction score
Idk how effective the are for all pickups, but I like to use pickup mounting ring screws as well. The threads are just as big as baseplate threads, but a good bit of the actual screw is unthreaded so they just float in the screwhole. And if the screw holes are too wide in the body, just use some toothpicks to add some bite.

The only drawback is they're not the longest screws, so if you have to set the pickups very high, they may not reach.

View attachment 142667
I use a slightly fatter screw from homedepot.
Very similar in design, just bigger.

My first experience was with something the size you show. The problem I had was the screw head was so small that the torque required to spin them stripped the head out.

The new ones have a much more defined head. The coarse threads thread in just a hair tight, but the shaft slips and spins just fine.

Regular machine screws fit in and work with a little bit of elbow Grease to sorta redefine the threads.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I recall a luthier in the UK selling the metric equivalent of these at one point pre-Covid. I bought about 5 sets and then immediately lost them :lol:
Coming from an engineering back ground, I welcome the introduction of non destructive fasteners to guitars! I'd use threaded inserts on everything if I could!